• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blight: Survival – Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the five-minute gameplay reveal trailer for Blight: Survival, a third-person cinematic action-adventure survival game that its developers describe as an "action-horror roguelite" – with four-player co-op as well. A new blight is raising the dead, and you'll use your choice of medieval weapons and warfare to stop it.

Bartski

Gold Member
Happy James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Stealth in full plate armor. Nice. I mean, you COULD walk relatively silently in the right conditions but you'd have to deprive yourself of most mobility, unlike this guy here going prone, climbing over obstacles, etc.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Insane graphics.

I chuckled when he went prone and started sneaking around in heavy medieval armor, lol.

People want realistic graphics but will also make fun of them when there is unrealistic aspects. You can sneak in Elden Ring in full plate too but no one bats an eye.

Edit: another one above lol. There are zombies and probably magic in this too, guys. It's a videogame.

As for the my opinion. It looks too good go be true. Like the looting of the bodies being different with perfect animations for moving half a dead guy around checking him for shit. That and the graphics give me Project Offset vaporware vibes.
Dream game if real.

Last edited:

Alexios

Also the UI and loot stuff, in chests and bodies, is very Ubisoft/AC style. Hmm. I hope it's more meaningful, less busy work...

bender

What time is it?
Got some medieval RE4 vibes at first but:

-Why leave your shield buried in that zombies head?
-Gathering crafting materials...oh boy.
-Wiping the blood from your sword was a nice touch but wondering if that's just a flourish type of animation or does it have game play relevance.
-Stealth in plate armor...okay.
-Loot system...oh boy x2
-Reading it has rogue lite elements...oh boy x3
-UI is very Plague Tale.

DavidGzz

Also the UI and loot stuff, in chests and bodies, is very Ubisoft/AC style. Hmm. I hope it's more meaningful, less busy work...

What do you mean? I can loot enemies and items from horseback in AC. This is more like slower RDR pace. And the more realistic games get when it comes to features like restricting movement in armor and this slow looting can be more annoying than fun.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Midevil zombie game? Great graphics but these types of games I rarely have the taste for. 4p co op is great.

Alexios

What do you mean? I can loot enemies and items from horseback in AC. This is more like slower RDR pace. And the more realistic games get when it comes to features like restricting movement in armor and this slow looting can be more annoying than fun.
What do you mean? I just thought it looks similar and the loot was similar. Have you only ever seen the couple of AC games that don't animate like that? I just meant stuff like these:

There are ways to keep nice animations and not make looting a hassle. Like, if it was like AC, why not put all the equivalent value loot within one area chest or an important looking enemy rather than have 20 chests and 20 bodies to loot, or keep as many and try to solve it by making looting faster?

Games can be fun in their own way with different restrictions. Just like in AC when you fight you can't do all the shit you can do in DMC like air juggle enemies with insane combos. It's more grounded, see? But you don't find that to be a restriction. And other games are more grounded than AC. Not necessarily realistic. All it takes is a fun system deviced. It's game design. And the solution here wouldn't be necessarily to restrict your movement further in plate armor but just, don't put you in plate armor, without changing damage values or whatever else, just design cool armor that seems more silent in its joints or whatever. Kind of how the enemies wear armor that it makes sense they don't make too much noise when the player kills them, when if they wore the same armor as him you'd expect them to clang loydly when dropping. Or if the game has other elements, then armor selection could add another layer of choice and risk/reward factors, in that if you wanted stealth you'd sacrifice some armor points and if you wanted defense you'd sacrifice some mobility, things like that. Depth is good, variety is good. Like I said elsewhere when it comes to combat:
Too many different styles to call any one the best. I like slow and methodical a la Zelda or Souls, I like technical and combo based a la Bayonetta or DMC, I like brawls a la Yakuza and the crowd control in Sengoku Basara, I like it directional and physics based in Mount & Blade, I also like it 2D as in Capcom's Dungeons & Dragons or Battle Circuit.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

What do you mean? I just thought it looks similar and the loot was similar. Have you only ever seen the couple of AC games that don't animate like that? I just meant stuff like these:

There are ways to keep nice animations and not make looting a hassle. Like, if it was like AC, why not put all the equivalent value loot within one area chest or an important looking enemy rather than have 20 chests and 20 bodies to loot, or keep as many and try to solve it by making looting faster?

Games can be fun in their own way with different restrictions. Just like in AC when you fight you can't do all the shit you can do in DMC like air juggle enemies with insane combos. It's more grounded, see? But you don't find that to be a restriction. And other games are more grounded than AC. Not necessarily realistic. All it takes is a fun system deviced. It's game design. And the solution here wouldn't be necessarily to restrict your movement further in plate armor but just, don't put you in plate armor, without changing damage values or whatever else, just design cool armor that seems more silent in its joints or whatever. Kind of how the enemies wear armor that it makes sense they don't make too much noise when the player kills them, when if they wore the same armor as him you'd expect them to clang loydly when dropping. Or if the game has other elements, then armor selection could add another layer of choice and risk/reward factors, in that if you wanted stealth you'd sacrifice some armor points and if you wanted defense you'd sacrifice some mobility, things like that. Depth is good, variety is good. Like I said elsewhere when it comes to combat:

I haven't played the old ones in so long that I forgot. I was thinking the newer AC games.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
People want realistic graphics but will also make fun of them when there is unrealistic aspects. You can sneak in Elden Ring in full plate too but no one bats an eye.

Edit: another one above lol. There are zombies and probably magic in this too, guys. It's a videogame.

As for the my opinion. It looks too good go be true. Like the looting of the bodies being different with perfect animations for moving half a dead guy around checking him for shit. That and the graphics give me Project Offset vaporware vibes.
Dream game if real.
It does feel very fake.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dream game if real.

A big part of me was questioning if this was real gameplay footage, or just a concept. While they throw some hud stuff in there, some of the animations and lack of on screen prompts give it a fake look.

I hope I’m wrong.

DavidGzz

A big part of me was questioning if this was real gameplay footage, or just a concept. While they throw some hud stuff in there, some of the animations and lack of on screen prompts give it a fake look.

I hope I’m wrong.

Me too, watching it in slow-mo, I did see a lot of clipping and he does seem to have different animations depending on if the enemy is face down or on it's back, so maybe it's legit. The arrow shot in the running zombie's head was the craziest part for me, especially in slow-mo.

drotahorror

Dream game if real.

Watched this video earlier when it was posted and didn't want to call it out being fake.

Looks fake to me or atleast very scripted, even with imperfections. The first thing that threw me off was at the 13 second mark. He stands up with a canned animation then starts to move normally but has a slight limp or walking like he's out of breath. The camera pans and the animation sort of straightens up into a normal walk by the 20 second mark. If that shit is real and the animation is that dynamic, that's insane detail. Other things seemed more believable. Also, I would never spot that bow on the ground and maybe not even the chest. Browns mixing with browns in a dreary game are rough for me to spot. Of course trailers can be highly scripted and not representative of the full game. Only time will tell. Game ticks a lot of boxes that I like.

timestamp 13 seconds

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Watched this video earlier when it was posted and didn't want to call it out being fake.

Looks fake to me or atleast very scripted, even with imperfections. The first thing that threw me off was at the 13 second mark. He stands up with a canned animation then starts to move normally but has a slight limp or walking like he's out of breath. The camera pans and the animation sort of straightens up into a normal walk by the 20 second mark. If that shit is real and the animation is that dynamic, that's insane detail. Other things seemed more believable. Also, I would never spot that bow on the ground and maybe not even the chest. Browns mixing with browns in a dreary game are rough for me to spot. Of course trailers can be highly scripted and not representative of the full game. Only time will tell. Game ticks a lot of boxes that I like.

timestamp 13 seconds

Nice catch! Yeah, reminds me of the first time we saw TLOU2 with how beautifully scripted it seemed. If this is all real, Haenir Studio came out of nowhere and is impressing as much as Naughty Dog.

Knightime_X

Rogue-lite or Rogue-like?
With roguelite you actually save some level of progression.
roguelike is basically an NES game with no continues

Haggard

Banned
Up till 4 months ago this title was developed by TWO people in their free time besides their normal full time jobs.....wtf
Looks great, but I'm sick of all these co-op games being forced. I just want single player with the option of co-op multi-player
Devs said it can be played solo.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Rogue-lite or Rogue-like?
With roguelite you actually save some level of progression.
roguelike is basically an NES game with no continues

"ABOUT THIS GAME
Blight: Survival is a 4-player co-op action-horror roguelite set in the unforgiving no man’s land between two desperate states at a ceaseless war. Within this purgatory, a new strain of Blight has sprung from remains of the dead. Strengthened by the blood that has been spilled, it rapidly spreads - turning man into monster.

As the nations bleed, chastened and paralyzed by war they call upon you, and your kin, with offerings of coin. Being the only ones willing - and capable - you've been tasked to venture in and raze the all-consuming Blight.

• Fight, with up to three friends, your way through both men and monsters in a violent co-op action experience.

• Pillage and loot the spoils of those less fortunate, but remember - what has been found can once again be lost.

• Choose between a large selection of weapons, armor and customize them to best suit your playstyle.

• Explore the war-ravaged lands in a huge map filled with secrets and plenty of coin to be found."

^From the Steam page. Seems to be the former.

Eiknarf

Banned
Just heard of this today, thanks to a YouTube video posting an hour or so ago.

A Plague Tale: Zombie!!

Any release date? I see I bumped a 4 month old thread.

Top Bottom