• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blender 2.90 Official Release

Tesseract

Banned

Building on the success of the 2.8 series, Blender 2.90 continues to polish the user experience, introducing improvements to EEVEE, Cycles, sculpt, VR, animation, modeling, UV editing and so much more. Blender integrates industry standard libraries such as Intel Embree, Intel OpenImageDenoise and NVidia Optix to provide a cutting-edge rendering experience.

Enjoy the full list of updates at https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-90/

This release has been made possible thanks to the community of contributors and developers on blender.org for providing demos, submitting bug reports, and thanks to the over 4,700 individuals and companies who joined the Development Fund.

The Blender Team

Amsterdam, 31st August, 2020.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How is this compared to 3dsmax?
i only used that and zbrush at school.

Last edited:

PSYGN

I've been keeping my eye on this app for the past 2 years and have been meaning to dive in. They've grown significantly and big companies are funding this growth as well. I do think it is the future, maybe not in the next year but 5 years or so when all the components like animations, etc. are up to snuff. The great thing about open source aside from it being free is that big companies will be able to alter code directly to have a chance to migrate and re-integrate better with whatever pipeline they may already have, but that will also take time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How is this compared to 3dsmax?
i only used that and zbrush at school.

3DS Max with plugins is still an absolute monster of DCC.
Depending on what you need to do Max has more tricks u its sleeves for modelling and simulations.

But yeah I think as I figure out what Blender can do to replace all the Plugins I now have I might migrate....maybe Blender 3.0 will be substantial enough to get me to move.

I've recently gotten into Blender (2.83), I played a little with Max back in the late 90's/Early 2000's I think? But by that I mean I was barely able to make shapes lol

I've followed some great Blender tutorials and I really enjoy it. Oddly having no graphic design background but good attention to detail (when I'm focused) I strangely feel that if I focused on it I could actually get pretty good....maybe.

The problem as with anything is time. Learning the skills to create models, animation, shortcuts, the UI, experiment etc... ah to be 19 or 20 again with loads of free time.

I've taken a bit of a break as I became busy with other things but I really really like Blender. Amazing open source program.

I hate to be that guy, but can I ask Blender has an OT in a gaming forum? I know it’s used for game modelling but still, that’s not even its main use.

It would be like making an OT for Visual Studio because it’s used in game dev too.

Tesseract

Banned
I hate to be that guy, but can I ask Blender has an OT in a gaming forum? I know it’s used for game modelling but still, that’s not even its main use.

It would be like making an OT for Visual Studio because it’s used in game dev too.
i thought about placement and most of the elements of your post, went with my gut

here or there is fine, idgaf

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i use blender for so many things these days, it's getting absurd

if you are new, grab yourself a python book or hit a snow crash

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Blender interface has been designed by a psychopath. Just terrible.
d0d344282da90de5f0aa01e82da9adfa.gif

JCK75

I was damned good with 2.79 and was so excited for 2.8, and since it came out I've just not had time to work with it and I'm falling behind.. so much to relearn but from what I have messed with it.. it's such a huge step forward.. it's getting to a state where it's actually near superior to it's paid alternatives.

mango drank

Blender interface has been designed by a psychopath. Just terrible.
The UI in version 2.49 and earlier was a trainwreck. It got an overhaul in 2.5x, and then another overhaul in 2.8x. A lot of things still need work (material library management / organization sucks, the default UV tools are still kinda weird and barebones, etc), but it's gotten a lot better.

Tesseract

Banned
one cannot overstate the power of 3d workstations, you are bending reality to your will

learn this tool, learn python, git gud and dominate

Chiggs

Anyone import Daz content into this using their new bridge? I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

one cannot overstate the power of 3d workstations, you are bending reality to your will

learn this tool, learn python, git gud and dominate

I feel like I am going to get mocked for using Daz. Blender is the Dark Souls of 3d graphics!

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Building on the success of the 2.8 series, Blender 2.90 continues to polish the user experience, introducing improvements to EEVEE, Cycles, sculpt, VR, animation, modeling, UV editing and so much more. Blender integrates industry standard libraries such as Intel Embree, Intel OpenImageDenoise and NVidia Optix to provide a cutting-edge rendering experience.

They practically copied Sony's music choice for the reveal of the PS5 box eh :p

psn

Already forceclosed 20 times (you lose progress sadly), great Release :D still happy though that there are good open source tools.

Tesseract

Banned

Blender 2.90.1 is a maintenance release for 2.90 containing 40 fixes:

• Decimate Modifier: Restore vertex group factor property in UI. (rB97c6c4e47883)
  • GPencil Opacity modifier not working. (T80289)
  • Extrude manifold can generate invalid geometry. (T80233)
  • Re-ordering face maps messes up the names of other face maps. (T79973)
  • Crash when deleting custom orientation. (T80426)
  • Crash after duplicating and hiding vertices while using X Axis. (T80224)
  • principle volume shader not working for world in Eevee. (T80332)
  • Eevee OpenVDB render error when frames miss part of the grids. (T79718)
  • PY API doc: fix doc for new override option of properties. (rB09ef19996509)
  • Crash when multi-mesh editing UVs with proportional editing. (T80561)
  • Crash adding properties to material node-trees. (T80238)
  • BLI_polyfill_calc exceeds stack size allocating points. (T80604)
  • Crash deleting bone constraints when the armature layer is. (T80464)
  • Cycles baking crash with locked-UI & background-mode. (T71012)
  • Hook modifier crashes without vertex group data. (T80516)
  • Mantaflow crash when adaptive domain + noise are enabled. (T79626)
  • Mantaflow Noise Not working with Smoke/Smoke and Fire. (T80372)
  • Vertex Colors not showing in edit mode. (T78225)
  • Correct Face Attributes affecting modes not listed. (T80623)
  • Edit Mode crash with shape keys created on blank mesh. (T77584)
  • Crash accessing depsgraph from evaluated view layer. (T62504)
  • Translations in python scripts are missing. (T80589)
  • Crash reloading scripts from the Python console. (T80694)
  • Library Override - Custom Property to Drive Child Particles results. (T80457)
  • Crash on undo/ redo after changing modes. (T78392)
  • UV edge select splits UV's for lasso/box/circle select. (T80728)
  • potential crash in volume grids in Eevee shaders. (T80630)
  • Fix OpenCL render error in large scenes. (rB3dbb231ed2f8)
  • Add versioning for 2.90 files that may have invalid mesh. (rB3a92a2df4519)
  • Texture paint camera project crashes after undo/redo. (T80885)
  • Auto IK Double Generates IK constraints. (T80437)
  • Cycles: Separate Embree device for each CPU Device. (rB009971ba7adc)
  • Cycles crash on macOS with older CPUs. (T78793)
  • Fix invert vertex group weight miscalculation for modifiers. (rBe0f13f41c681)
  • NLA Bake exception baking pose with non-pose selection. (T61985)
  • Tris to Quads ignores UV delimit option. (T80520)
  • Avoid changing the visibility of loose geometry. (T80771)
  • Archipack: support for bmesh bevel arguments changes in 2.90. (rBA8e1b4dd71b37)
  • Crash on editing multiple UVs of multiple different objects. (T80899)

This release has been made possible thanks to the community of contributors and developers on blender.org for providing demos, submitting bug reports, and thanks to the over 4,700 individuals and companies who joined the Development Fund.

The Blender Team

Amsterdam, 23rd September, 2020.

Top Bottom