• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleak Faith: Forsaken devs seem to have nicked animations from Elden Ring and DS3 using DS Anim Studio

Bartski

Gold Member

8SfuFxd.png

Iu2BLRh.png

w353oSV.png

Nw3vGWk.png

0RwsQRf.png

Developer responds:

hIGFy26.jpg

Edit: dev response to backlash update 14.03.2023

Last edited:
I’m sorry for using the copy paste before. But you see, I’m only one person who has to write a reply. I actually had to learn for this.

I don’t have the time and resources like big game writing teams so I used words that were already available.

Every small writer does this because it’s impossible to come up and write something original on your own.

I just wanted you to know this so we can close this discussion now.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"LONDON. Michaelmas Term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln’s Inn Hall. Implacable November weather. As much mud in the streets as if the waters had but newly retired from the face of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill. Smoke lowering down from chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes of soot in it as big as full-grown snow-flakes — gone into mourning, one might imagine, for the death of the sun. Dogs, undistinguishable in mire. Horses, scarcely better; splashed to their very blinkers. Foot passengers, jostling one another’s umbrellas in a general infection of ill-temper, and losing their foot-hold at street-corners, where tens of thousands of other foot passengers have been slipping and sliding since the day broke (if the day ever broke), adding new deposits to the crust upon crust of mud, sticking at those points tenaciously to the pavement, and accumulating at compound interest.

Fog everywhere. Fog up the river, where it flows among green aits and meadows; fog down the river, where it rolls defiled among the tiers of shipping and the waterside pollutions of a great (and dirty) city. Fog on the Essex marshes, fog on the Kentish heights. Fog creeping into the cabooses of collier-brigs; fog lying out on the yards, and hovering in the rigging of great ships; fog drooping on the gunwales of barges and small boats. Fog in the eyes and throats of ancient Greenwich pensioners, wheezing by the firesides of their wards; fog in the stem and bowl of the afternoon pipe of the wrathful skipper, down in his close cabin; fog cruelly pinching the toes and fingers of his shivering little ’prentice boy on deck. Chance people on the bridges peeping over the parapets into a nether sky of fog, with fog all round them, as if they were up in a balloon, and hanging in the misty clouds.

Gas looming through the fog in divers places in the streets, much as the sun may, from the spongey fields, be seen to loom by husbandman and ploughboy. Most of the shops lighted two hours before their time — as the gas seems to know, for it has a haggard and unwilling look.

The raw afternoon is rawest, and the dense fog is densest, and the muddy streets are muddiest near that leaden-headed old obstruction, appropriate ornament for the threshold of a leaden-headed old corporation, Temple Bar. And hard by Temple Bar, in Lincoln’s Inn Hall, at the very heart of the fog, sits the Lord High Chancellor in his High Court of Chancery."

-EviLore, 'Bleak House'

hemo memo

Gold Member
"LONDON. Michaelmas Term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln’s Inn Hall. Implacable November weather. As much mud in the streets as if the waters had but newly retired from the face of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill. Smoke lowering down from chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes of soot in it as big as full-grown snow-flakes — gone into mourning, one might imagine, for the death of the sun. Dogs, undistinguishable in mire. Horses, scarcely better; splashed to their very blinkers. Foot passengers, jostling one another’s umbrellas in a general infection of ill-temper, and losing their foot-hold at street-corners, where tens of thousands of other foot passengers have been slipping and sliding since the day broke (if the day ever broke), adding new deposits to the crust upon crust of mud, sticking at those points tenaciously to the pavement, and accumulating at compound interest.

Fog everywhere. Fog up the river, where it flows among green aits and meadows; fog down the river, where it rolls defiled among the tiers of shipping and the waterside pollutions of a great (and dirty) city. Fog on the Essex marshes, fog on the Kentish heights. Fog creeping into the cabooses of collier-brigs; fog lying out on the yards, and hovering in the rigging of great ships; fog drooping on the gunwales of barges and small boats. Fog in the eyes and throats of ancient Greenwich pensioners, wheezing by the firesides of their wards; fog in the stem and bowl of the afternoon pipe of the wrathful skipper, down in his close cabin; fog cruelly pinching the toes and fingers of his shivering little ’prentice boy on deck. Chance people on the bridges peeping over the parapets into a nether sky of fog, with fog all round them, as if they were up in a balloon, and hanging in the misty clouds.

Gas looming through the fog in divers places in the streets, much as the sun may, from the spongey fields, be seen to loom by husbandman and ploughboy. Most of the shops lighted two hours before their time — as the gas seems to know, for it has a haggard and unwilling look.

The raw afternoon is rawest, and the dense fog is densest, and the muddy streets are muddiest near that leaden-headed old obstruction, appropriate ornament for the threshold of a leaden-headed old corporation, Temple Bar. And hard by Temple Bar, in Lincoln’s Inn Hall, at the very heart of the fog, sits the Lord High Chancellor in his High Court of Chancery."

-EviLore, 'Bleak House'
Incredible writing potential here EviLore. Can’t wait for your next book.

radewagon

What a cunt. This clearly isn't rotoscoping, it wouldn't be perfectly 1:1 timed if it was.
Not debating whether it's right or wrong, but why wouldn't it be 1:1 if rotoscoped? Rotoscoping is why things like Ralph Bakshi's movies and the Fleishcer Superman series look so fluid. Because rotoscoping allows for 1:1 timing.

Not debating whether it's right or wrong, but why wouldn't it be 1:1 if rotoscoped? Rotoscoping is why things like Ralph Bakshi's movies and the Fleishcer Superman series look so fluid. Because rotoscoping allows for 1:1 timing.
Maybe he rotoscoped it 0.99:1. Invisible to the eye but he could say it’s not the same

Banned
all I have seen from this game is this asmongold clip the YouTube algorithm thought I would like

and I was laughing when the clearly stolen animation came in 🤣

Doom85

Reminds me of when Gene Simmons’ son flat out plagiarized pages of the Bleach manga (like, barely changed much from panels) in a comic book he was making:

Like, ah yes, I’m going to rip off a pre-existing fictional work. Should I go with something obscure so maybe no one will notice? Nah, let’s go with something read/watched/played by millions of people around the world!

Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Marvel Studios

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Once upon a time, in a world where video game characters lived and breathed, the two most beloved characters were Mario and Sonic. They were both heroes in their own right, with Mario saving the Mushroom Kingdom time and time again, while Sonic was the fastest thing alive and always on the move.

One day, a strange force descended upon their world, threatening to destroy everything in its path. It was a powerful entity known only as the Void, and it was devouring everything in sight. The Void had consumed entire planets, and was now making its way towards the video game world, seeking to consume everything in its path.

Mario and Sonic were both called upon to stop the Void, and they knew that the only way to defeat it was to work together. However, they were also competitive rivals, each believing that they were the greatest hero in their own right. As they set out on their quest to save the video game world, they couldn't help but feel a sense of tension between them.

As they journeyed through the various video game landscapes, they encountered all sorts of obstacles and challenges. They fought off hordes of monsters, navigated treacherous landscapes, and solved puzzles that would make even the smartest scientists scratch their heads.

At first, Mario and Sonic worked well together, each bringing their own unique abilities to the table. Mario used his incredible jumping ability to reach high places and stomp on enemies, while Sonic's lightning-fast speed allowed him to run circles around their foes. However, as they progressed deeper into the Void's lair, their competitive nature began to get the better of them.

Mario and Sonic began to argue about who was doing more work, and who was the real hero of their quest. Mario felt that Sonic was hogging all the glory, while Sonic thought that Mario wasn't doing enough to help. The two heroes began to bicker and argue, with each trying to outdo the other.

As they approached the heart of the Void's lair, they found themselves facing off against the Void itself. The entity was massive, with tendrils of darkness reaching out in every direction. Mario and Sonic knew that this was it - their final battle against the Void.

However, before they could attack, the Void spoke to them. "Why do you fight?" it asked. "You two are heroes, and yet you bicker and argue like children. You should be working together, not against each other."

Mario and Sonic looked at each other, and then back at the Void. They realized that it was right - they had been so focused on their own egos that they had forgotten about the bigger picture. They needed to work together if they were going to save the video game world.

Mario and Sonic joined forces, with Mario using his fireballs to weaken the Void's defenses, while Sonic darted in and out of its tendrils, dealing devastating blows with his spin attacks. The two heroes worked in perfect harmony, each complimenting the other's abilities and working together to take down the Void.

As they fought, they began to feel a sense of camaraderie that they had never felt before. They were no longer rivals, but partners in a battle against a common foe. They fought with all their might, and in the end, they emerged victorious.

As the Void disintegrated into nothingness, Mario and Sonic looked at each other, a newfound respect in their eyes. They knew that they had learned an important lesson - that it wasn't about who was the greatest hero, but about working together to achieve a common goal.

From that day on, Mario and Sonic were the closest of friends, working together to protect the video game world from all threats. They still had their friendly rivalries, but now they knew that they were all on the same

cireza

Once upon a time, in a world where video game characters lived and breathed, the two most beloved characters were Mario and Sonic. They were both heroes in their own right, with Mario saving the Mushroom Kingdom time and time again, while Sonic was the fastest thing alive and always on the move.

One day, a strange force descended upon their world, threatening to destroy everything in its path. It was a powerful entity known only as the Void, and it was devouring everything in sight. The Void had consumed entire planets, and was now making its way towards the video game world, seeking to consume everything in its path.

Mario and Sonic were both called upon to stop the Void, and they knew that the only way to defeat it was to work together. However, they were also competitive rivals, each believing that they were the greatest hero in their own right. As they set out on their quest to save the video game world, they couldn't help but feel a sense of tension between them.

As they journeyed through the various video game landscapes, they encountered all sorts of obstacles and challenges. They fought off hordes of monsters, navigated treacherous landscapes, and solved puzzles that would make even the smartest scientists scratch their heads.

At first, Mario and Sonic worked well together, each bringing their own unique abilities to the table. Mario used his incredible jumping ability to reach high places and stomp on enemies, while Sonic's lightning-fast speed allowed him to run circles around their foes. However, as they progressed deeper into the Void's lair, their competitive nature began to get the better of them.

Mario and Sonic began to argue about who was doing more work, and who was the real hero of their quest. Mario felt that Sonic was hogging all the glory, while Sonic thought that Mario wasn't doing enough to help. The two heroes began to bicker and argue, with each trying to outdo the other.

As they approached the heart of the Void's lair, they found themselves facing off against the Void itself. The entity was massive, with tendrils of darkness reaching out in every direction. Mario and Sonic knew that this was it - their final battle against the Void.

However, before they could attack, the Void spoke to them. "Why do you fight?" it asked. "You two are heroes, and yet you bicker and argue like children. You should be working together, not against each other."

Mario and Sonic looked at each other, and then back at the Void. They realized that it was right - they had been so focused on their own egos that they had forgotten about the bigger picture. They needed to work together if they were going to save the video game world.

Mario and Sonic joined forces, with Mario using his fireballs to weaken the Void's defenses, while Sonic darted in and out of its tendrils, dealing devastating blows with his spin attacks. The two heroes worked in perfect harmony, each complimenting the other's abilities and working together to take down the Void.

As they fought, they began to feel a sense of camaraderie that they had never felt before. They were no longer rivals, but partners in a battle against a common foe. They fought with all their might, and in the end, they emerged victorious.

As the Void disintegrated into nothingness, Mario and Sonic looked at each other, a newfound respect in their eyes. They knew that they had learned an important lesson - that it wasn't about who was the greatest hero, but about working together to achieve a common goal.

From that day on, Mario and Sonic were the closest of friends, working together to protect the video game world from all threats. They still had their friendly rivalries, but now they knew that they were all on the same
yes-sad.gif

You should really show evidence if you're going to make that claim
Okay, okay, but I also wrote "in my opinion."
However, maybe I'm wrong, because it doesn't seem to be only the ripped animations, but also the settings and weapons... But maybe I'm wrong eh... :pie_unamused:

Schermata-2023-03-12-alle-19-02-24.png

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hmmm damn... Well a friend of mine told be the game is too optimized for M&K and decided to skip it anyway but, you know, when working on your game you tend to respect and appreciate other people working on their games no matter the scope, it's not an easy thing to do, but that response honestly makes me feel bad... You can see why graphically complex games require more than 3 people to make

Reallink

FROMSOFTWARE and other companies legally contracted people to make assets and pay them. This guy did not. Why is he undermining talented contractors? His perception is skewed. He deserves to get sued.

If I'm understanding correctly, his claim is that he bought them off Epic's Unreal Engine Asset Marketplace. Which if true, puts the onus and liability on Epic and the people selling the 1:1 rips.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

If I'm understanding correctly, his claim is that he bought them off Epic's Unreal Engine Asset Marketplace. Which if true, puts the onus on Epic and the people selling the 1:1 rips.
Bingo. This has happened a couple times before with Epic offering creators' packs for free for the community after paying the creators to participate in this deal. Just recently i.e. a month ago I got an email stating this was the case with one of the free packs offered recently.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

peronmls

Bingo. This has happened a couple times before with Epic offering creators' packs for free for the community after paying the creators to participate in this deal. Just recently i.e. a month ago I got an email stating this was the case with one of the free packs offered recently.
…This is HUGE if that is the case. Honestly he knows better and we all know what happens to people when they except “HOT” items.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Herr Edgy

…This is HUGE if that is the case. Honestly he knows better and we all know what happens to people when they except “HOT” items.
Who is "he"?
There is no reason to believe that a pack offered with good reviews is stolen from somewhere. Especially since this is particularly hard to tell with just the animation data. Naturally they don't come with the From Software models.

EDIT:
Attaching the recent case I've mentioned. Not sure if that was a free pack or something I purchased myself. I've spent way too much money on this over the years lol
tykAARS.png

Last edited:

Reallink

Not in a legal sense. In the absence of slow-mo side by side gifs and given a multi-billion company like Epic Games selling/profiting off them, the dev's most reasonable assumption would be that they were unique recreations in the same style, not straight rips.

Last edited:

Griffon

If the rotoscoping argument was real and made in good faith, any decent animator wouldn't have copied 1:1 entire multiple-seconds sequences from a direct competitor, they would have made their own spin on it, instead of reproducing every single detail to the millimeter to the point it is almost impossible to do (even less so for an amateur).

The only real explanation is that they simply ripped the animations straight from the game's data. Thinking otherwise is ridiculous.
They simply thought it wouldn't get noticed and would get away with it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Once upon a time, there was a forum called NeoGAF, which was known for its passionate community of gamers and enthusiasts. Two of the most active and influential users on the forum were Evilore and Spukc.
Evilore had founded NeoGAF years ago and had built the site from the ground up. He was a passionate gamer and a charismatic leader, and many users looked up to him as a role model.
Spukc, on the other hand, was a newer member of NeoGAF but had quickly become known for their knowledge, kindness, and dedication to the community. They were a frequent poster on the forum, offering insightful commentary and helping other users navigate the site.
Despite their different personalities and backgrounds, Evilore and Spukc had a mutual respect for each other. They would often engage in friendly debates and discussions, sharing their opinions on the latest games and industry news.
Over time, the two users became the most popular on NeoGAF, with each bringing their unique skills and perspectives to the community. Evilore was known for his leadership and vision, while Spukc was known for their kindness and expertise.
Together, they worked to build NeoGAF into the thriving community it had become. They were careful to listen to the concerns of other users, to promote inclusivity and diversity, and to create a space where gamers of all backgrounds could come together and share their love of gaming.
But as time went on, Evilore began to change. He became increasingly authoritarian, banning users without warning and using his position of power to push his personal agenda. This behavior alienated many users, who began to speak out against him and call for his removal from the forum.
Spukc was torn. They respected Evilore and appreciated all he had done for NeoGAF, but they also saw the damage his behavior was causing to the community. In the end, Spukc made the difficult decision to join the movement against Evilore, advocating for change and working to build a better, more inclusive NeoGAF.
The struggle between Evilore and the community came to a head, with Evilore ultimately stepping down from his position on the forum. The community was left without a leader, but Spukc stepped up to take on the responsibility of running the site.
Under Spukc's leadership, NeoGAF continued to thrive. The forum became an even more welcoming and inclusive space, with new users joining every day and finding a community that shared their love of gaming.
Evilore, meanwhile, continued to watch from the sidelines. He saw the changes that Spukc had brought to NeoGAF and recognized that the community was better off for it. He reached out to Spukc and apologized for his behavior, acknowledging that he had let his personal beliefs get in the way of his leadership.
Spukc was gracious and forgiving, recognizing that everyone makes mistakes and that the important thing was to learn from them and move forward. Together, Evilore and Spukc worked to create a NeoGAF that was stronger, more inclusive, and more dedicated to the gaming community than ever before.
In the end, Evilore and Spukc became the best users on NeoGAF not because of their personal ambitions or their desire for fame, but because of their dedication to the community and their willingness to work together to create a better, more inclusive space for gamers of all backgrounds.

This shit is cash XD

Herr Edgy

If the rotoscoping argument was real and made in good faith, any decent animator wouldn't have copied 1:1 entire multiple-seconds sequences from a direct competitor, they would have made their own spin on it, instead of reproducing every single detail to a point it is almost impossible to do (even less so for an amateur).

The only real explanation is that they simply ripped the animations straight from the game's data. Thinking otherwise is ridiculous.
They simply thought it wouldn't get noticed and could get away with it.
You don't understand game dev and it shows.
EDIT: Hostile tone isn't intentional, trying to be real here.

Last edited:

Griffon

You don't understand game dev and it shows.
EDIT: Hostile tone isn't intentional, trying to be real here.
Such a strong counter-argument. Don't assume anything.

Absolute perfect (to the fucking millimeter) rotoscoping of long mocapped sequences would be very harduous (and time consuming) to do for a pro, even more so for a solo indie with little to no experience.
And who would in good faith make such an actual conscious effort to reproduce that precisely the animations of a competitor? Losing weeks of precious devtime to make your animations so close that you can get sued for it. When it's actually much faster-easier to make up your own imperfect deviations.

The one simple answer: they didn't, they just ripped Souls animation assets.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Such a strong counter-argument. Don't assume anything.

Absolute perfect (to the fucking millimeter) rotoscoping of long mocapped sequences would be very harduous (and time consuming) to do for a pro, even more so for a solo indie with little to no experience.
And who would in good faith make such an actual conscious effort to reproduce that precisely the animations of a competitor? Losing weeks of precious devtime to make your animations so close that you can get sued for it. When it's actually much faster-easier to make up your own deviations.
Yes, that's the point. It makes virtually no sense to actively and consciously rip competitors' assets as a game dev, especially within the same genre where it's obvious it will be caught right away.
The devs aren't claiming they were rotoscoping. They were claiming it's a possibility the 3rd party that sold the animations was rotoscoping. Unlikely and not realistic, it's pretty obvious they were ripped in hindsight, but that's just to add to the point that it's incredibly hard to tell just based on animation data alone. It's just a few bones with keyframes. If you aren't closely familiar with the ripped games you won't know.
There are no side-by-side comparisons when buying these online. The idea that the bit about rotoscoping is not held in good faith is pretty weird.

Griffon

The devs aren't claiming they were rotoscoping. They were claiming it's a possibility the 3rd party that sold the animations was rotoscoping.
Oh, I stand corrected then. I was under the impression the devs themselves were saying they "rotoscoped" Souls animation themselves, in addition of using bought assets.

What you mean is it's more a case of whether they're telling the truth about getting swindled by ripped store assets, or whether they're lying and ripped animations themselves.
I guess people will figure it out if they can show the receipts regarding which asset pack did what.

Last edited:

Phase

Even with all this drama, the thing that annoys me most is they released a game that was clearly not ready. Glad I didn't pre-order. Now it's off the wishlist entirely.

Can't be supporting any of this.

Top Bottom