• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition Reveals Release Date of June 23rd

Ivan

Just tried it on PS5 for a few minutes... It is really awesome to see it here, but some things are not that good.

- Menus are really badly designed and feel very cheap
- There is no option to modify cursor speed on the fly like in some other PnC games on consoles where you can speed it up or slow it down. There is an overall cursor speed only
- There is no option for pure black bars, you have to look at their version of some filler on the sides

Last edited:

AceVader0

Neo Member
Two years and aside from AI upscaled FMVs with LFC (those 60fps are bullshit), and some modern support, there's not much else. They had to reverse engineer the original game. This enhanced edition was announced even before they contacted the ScummVM people. Their plan was to purchase their reverse engineering, but ScummVM said no. So 2 years to redo that work themselves, and that's why it has took so long. So we got the original game + AI upscaled FMVs + some AntiAliasing maybe + controller support + decent font size for the UI. Am I missing anything?

I've heard the Spanish dub is not available in the Xbox for some reason. In any case as soon as it drops on Steam I'll try to check it out. Let's hope they didn't fuck this up.

I don't think you can do a whole lot to make voxel graphics look better. The Outcast remaster looks the same as the original game to me, for example.

751393-outcast-1-1-windows-screenshot-the-village-of-shamazaar-people.png
That's running at a higher res and framerate than the original, it looks miles better.

AceVader0

Neo Member
Steam page was modified in the last hour and now all dubs except English dub are gone.
Congratulations NightDive, you've taken two years to release a turd. Back to using ScummVM or the GoG version.

Anyone tried this yet? Steam reviews are pretty brutal. I get that things don't always go as planned during development but they really should have been open about it rather than stealth realeasing the game in this state.

DavidGzz

I saw one screenshot to know I couldn't care less anymore. It was awesome back in the day but the way characters stand out totally breaks immersion.

Fools idol

Banned
I have a real hard time not buying these games from that period.

it was such a golden time for me as a kid... entire weekends when my parents where away working over seas while I was home with my PC playing through all the adventure classics like monkey island and day of the tentacle. When I played this I didn't stop until I finished it.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Anyone tried this yet? Steam reviews are pretty brutal. I get that things don't always go as planned during development but they really should have been open about it rather than stealth realeasing the game in this state.

They half assed this just to, for some reason, release this on consoles with the most subpar and shit controller implementatin possible.

Everyone who is interested in this should exclusively play it on PC, as the game was made and how it existed for 25 years and use the GOG Scumm version which is perfect and how the actual game was intended

tommib

Just tried it a little bit on the PS5 - I wasn’t supposed to buy new games until 2023 but hey 10 EUR.

Game doesn’t not run at 60 fps except for very specific backgrounds (Mcoy’s apartment rooftop). The frame rate mix is very jarring.

The clues/information/inventory menus are a nightmare because you need to use the buttons instead of the cursor (which just disappears). It looks as pixilated as ever (which I don’t mind).

I think they just managed to make it work on consoles and released it. For the price, it’s ok but there’s a lot of improvements missing.

Elios83

I got it and tried it briefly.
They did a pretty good job on the backgrounds but the characters look super pixelated because the game uses hybrid voxel technology and they can't do much for that besides remaking the whole thing.
It's ironic because usually in these old games the problem is the opposite. It's easy to make the characters look good while without recent AI based techniques the backgrounds look really poor.

The bad part seems to be the inventory management.
They basically disabled cursor navigation adding an extra layer of commands using controller buttons but it's really convoluted at first, it feels like a debug mode where you're inputting shortcut keys through an editor to navigate through the interface.
I don't know if there is a specific technical issue that forced them to do things this way or if it's just a bad idea on their part.

In any case for me at 9.99$ it's worth it since the game itself is great.

Last edited:
Disappointing to hear this is a terrible port, I'll have to watch some videos to see how bad it gets. Hopefully there will be a few patches...

They half assed this just to, for some reason, release this on consoles with the most subpar and shit controller implementatin possible.

Everyone who is interested in this should exclusively play it on PC, as the game was made and how it existed for 25 years and use the GOG Scumm version which is perfect and how the actual game was intended
If I can play Baldur's Gate with a controller with little issue, there is absolutely no reason why any game short of Falcon 4.0 could not play well with a controller.

Or worst case just support keyboard and mouse, the USB slots are there for a reason.

DukeNukem00

Banned
Disappointing to hear this is a terrible port, I'll have to watch some videos to see how bad it gets. Hopefully there will be a few patches...

If I can play Baldur's Gate with a controller with little issue, there is absolutely no reason why any game short of Falcon 4.0 could not play well with a controller.

Or worst case just support keyboard and mouse, the USB slots are there for a reason.

But you can't play Baldurs Gate well with a pad. Its almost parody levels of awful. But its not about BG here. What you have on console with this release is a mouse cursor that you move around with a stick. Thats it. Thats the controller implementation that they did here.

The reason i said people to play the GOG version on PC is not about that, its because that is the pristine fully functional original game with zero issues and this version is a washed out turd. I recoment against it on PC also

The port was made by Nightdive the same ppl remaking System Shock? That suffered engine changes several times and its taking forever to release? The same team that for some reason keeps taking projects yet they can barely release one? Yeah imagine my "shock" heh.

ShaneDH

Neo Member
Just tried it on PS5 for a few minutes... It is really awesome to see it here, but some things are not that good.

- Menus are really badly designed and feel very cheap
- There is no option to modify cursor speed on the fly like in some other PnC games on consoles where you can speed it up or slow it down. There is an overall cursor speed only
- There is no option for pure black bars, you have to look at their version of some filler on the sides
Yeah I wasn't expecting those side fillers but I understand why. Enjoying the trip down memory lane that I'm experiencing with the game.

ShaneDH

Neo Member
I got it and tried it briefly.
They did a pretty good job on the backgrounds but the characters look super pixelated because the game uses hybrid voxel technology and they can't do much for that besides remaking the whole thing.
It's ironic because usually in these old games the problem is the opposite. It's easy to make the characters look good while without recent AI based techniques the backgrounds look really poor.

The bad part seems to be the inventory management.
They basically disabled cursor navigation adding an extra layer of commands using controller buttons but it's really convoluted at first, it feels like a debug mode where you're inputting shortcut keys through an editor to navigate through the interface.
I don't know if there is a specific technical issue that forced them to do things this way or if it's just a bad idea on their part.

In any case for me at 9.99$ it's worth it since the game itself is great.
Yeah this is my biggest gripe the KIA menu is an absolute mess in relation to controls. I cannot fathom why the devs did not allow the cursor here but allow the cursor on the esper interface. Plus they have the menu options on top of the KIA menu that you could select on PC but you can't on the console and doesn't even highlight to let you know which section of the menu you are in.

I also noticed that in the shooting range the game doesn't recognize any input randomly when shooting targets.

Went into this game on Xbox knowing literally nothing about it and I think it’s amazing so far. Really unique and great atmosphere.

The kia on controller sucks to navigate though. So confusing.

The port was made by Nightdive the same ppl remaking System Shock? That suffered engine changes several times and its taking forever to release? The same team that for some reason keeps taking projects yet they can barely release one? Yeah imagine my "shock" heh.
Different teams. They've done great work with their remasters, of which there are many. And this is supposedly their CEO's dream project so I don't think it was unreasonable to expect more.

Wildebeest

Shame they couldn't get their hands on the original assets. This game was a huge deal at the time for how much raytraced rendering it used, but you could probably render these scenes on your phone now.

Last edited:

Ben87fr

Bought the game on xbox, launched it and the audio is in english only, i remember playing it in french at the time (fully dubbed), what happened ?

I bought on Switch, misinterpreting the modernized controls as actual full 3D implementation, but it's still point and click which is disappointing on Switch. It looks and runs great though, but I should have just snagged on PC.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I've heard the Spanish dub is not available in the Xbox for some reason. In any case as soon as it drops on Steam I'll try to check it out. Let's hope they didn't fuck this up.

Bought the game on xbox, launched it and the audio is in english only, i remember playing it in french at the time (fully dubbed), what happened ?

A quick message on the supported audio for languages
Hello everyone.

First of all, I'd like to say Thank You for your patience while we work on Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition. Your support means the world to everyone at Nightdive.

It has come to our attention that we are missing the option to enable Full Audio support in the options menu of the game for French, German, Italian and Spanish. We are working on fixing this issue and an update will be issued as soon as we possibly can.

We are also working on addressing other issues that people are reporting to us, and we thank you for your patience while we deal with them.

Take care, and we hope you enjoy exploring Los Angeles again!

Daniel G,
Nightdive Studios.

Last edited:

Shifty

Meanwhile Shadow Man owners are still waiting for the two new bosses they promised would be in at launch, however many months ago that was.

What on earth is going on with Nightdive lately.

rofif

Banned
Is night dive a polish studio? Sounds like us. We like overworking people

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Different teams. They've done great work with their remasters, of which there are many. And this is supposedly their CEO's dream project so I don't think it was unreasonable to expect more.
I trust in Nightdive, a misfire may happen and I am confident they will set things right :).

IIRC, the source code and original assets for this game were lost. So it's an impressive amount of work done to reverse engineer the original engine and then port it. Too bad the results seem to be quite bad.

In a surprise move GOG split the new and old version!
You are no longer forced to buy the enhanced version if you only want the old and perfectly playable version.
GOG doing something right for a change?

Elios83

Still waiting for the patch on console, anybody interested/has any news ?
Yeah I was also waiting on the first big patch to be released on consoles. They're already working on a second one.
It's weird they can't release patches almost simultaneously on all platforms.

Last edited:

Ben87fr

I'l happy to see i'm not the only one waiting for this patch, it's a great game yeah and it deserves better, usually Nightdive is doing great with their remasters, i hope it's not a sign of their future output.

Last edited:
I’d love to see a quality developer make a Blade Runner third person action RPG and do that coat blowing in the windy rain effect better than Watch Dogs too!

Elios83

I'l happy to see i'm not the only one waiting for this patch, it's a great game yeah and it deserves better, usually Nightdive is doing great with their remasters, i hope it's not a sign of their future output.
Patch is finally out on Playstation:messenger_sunglasses: time to play it.

fatmarco

I'm keen for this but hoping it will be patched. Also what state is Shadow Man in?

A side note, but there's so many classic games on console now but none of them ever go on sale e.g. Stubbs the Zombie etc.

Ben87fr

Cool now i can play it with the French dub, except the cinematics are still in english... Well i'll wait for the next patch i guess 😤

Porcile

What version is the Limited Run Games going to be then? Last I heard they fucked up the Doom Classics Collection which I was dumb enough to buy.

RAIDEN1

I didn't even know this made a jump to consoles, hell back when the original came out it could have easily been ported to the PS1....is this worth looking at or is the GOG version the way to go?

Top Bottom