• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blackout Beta |OT| Excuse me waiter, there's a PUBG in my COD

JonesTheTerrible

Neo Member
It's beginning to look more and more like a pickup to me. I loved the base mechanics of PUBG, especially when they added the 1st person games, this seems really fun, kinda worried that the battle royale portion might hit the multiplayer aspect though, considering zombies doesn't really pull the same crowd, but BR games are similar enough to eat into the population.

This should of been a standalone game. Are they just gonna add a BR mode on every COD game? A standalone COD BR game with cross play for $30 with constant updates.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This should of been a standalone game. Are they just gonna add a BR mode on every COD game? A standalone COD BR game with cross play for $30 with constant updates.

Battle Royale mode will be persistent across CoD titles for the next couple installments at least. They've stated they want to update it for the long term.

So if you buy Modern Warfare 4 next year, those people will also have access to Blackout. Presumably.

GenericUser

Blackout? More like Lagout, amirite?

Seriously though, I only played 2 matches, but this was no fun. Waiting in the lobby, parachuting from the skies, wandering around, finally picking up a weapon, get shot, repeat. There is so little action compared to the regular mp mode and most of the time you play a game of hide and seek. Is this what kids consider fun these days?

888.jpg

One good thing: blackout is still better then a campaign.

ultrazilla

Ah right, just give it a few hours, when I pre ordered it took a good few hours before I got my code.

Never got a code from Amazon. Very let down that they've dropped the ball here. Usually when I pre-order from them(no charge from them until the game goes live, unlike
Sony who will charge full price the moment you "pre-order") I get any "beta" code(s) almost immediately emailed to me. Guess I'm at Amazon's mercy here on when or *if*
I'll even get a Blackout beta code from them.

Xeilyn

Have played it for a couple of hours, i dont think BR is for me. Ive tried Fortnite but didnt like the gameplay or the artstyle, tried H1Z1 but that felt really bland and now ive tried this and i dont know.

Its just not that fun to me, its intense when you make it to the final 10 people and its exciting that your "run" can end at any time but there is just so much waiting and right now i really think the time to kill is too high(Never thought id say that about COD). If it was stand alone at half the cost i could probably get my friend to buy it since im sure it would be more fun in duos/quad but right now i think its a pass from me.

Green Saber

Never got a code from Amazon. Very let down that they've dropped the ball here. Usually when I pre-order from them(no charge from them until the game goes live, unlike
Sony who will charge full price the moment you "pre-order") I get any "beta" code(s) almost immediately emailed to me. Guess I'm at Amazon's mercy here on when or *if*
I'll even get a Blackout beta code from them.
Sorry to hear that, I hope you code turns up soon, is there any stores near by that you could pre order at and get a code from them?

Javthusiast

Banned
Didn't have the chance to play it myself yet, will try the open pc beta this weekend, but from the streams I watched it is exactly what I wanted. I like Fortnite, but prefer the more ''realistic'' BR games over it. Unfortunately PUBG and H1Z1 are anything but polished good running games on consoles. And Blackout already looks way ahead in that regard.

Add to that the cod movement, vehicle combat and a nice map and I am all in. Wish Blackout was standalone though and free or at least cheaper, cause full price at release might me a little too much.

Green Saber

Didn't have the chance to play it myself yet, will try the open pc beta this weekend, but from the streams I watched it is exactly what I wanted. I like Fortnite, but prefer the more ''realistic'' BR games over it. Unfortunately PUBG and H1Z1 are anything but polished good running games on consoles. And Blackout already looks way ahead in that regard.

Add to that the cod movement, vehicle combat and a nice map and I am all in. Wish Blackout was standalone though and free or at least cheaper, cause full price at release might me a little too much.
Agreed with everything you say, it is the BR game that I have been waiting for, I can't wait to try it on my Xbox X this weekend.

Tesseract

Banned
this is pretty fucking awesome, coming from someone who has played hundreds of hours of pubg and fortnite.

i don't think it's a pubg killer, but it's a nice addition.

cryptoadam

Banned
Have played it for a couple of hours, i dont think BR is for me. Ive tried Fortnite but didnt like the gameplay or the artstyle, tried H1Z1 but that felt really bland and now ive tried this and i dont know.

Its just not that fun to me, its intense when you make it to the final 10 people and its exciting that your "run" can end at any time but there is just so much waiting and right now i really think the time to kill is too high(Never thought id say that about COD). If it was stand alone at half the cost i could probably get my friend to buy it since im sure it would be more fun in duos/quad but right now i think its a pass from me.

I am with you. Just don't get the appeal of BR. I enjoy the looting parts and searching around, but I don't see the point of bam 1 shot and then its game over.

I think if they combined the looting and large map with being able to spawn back into the game I would be into it more. But now its pretty much wander around for ever without seeing anyone and then eventually have a confrontation and if you die its game over and restart a NEW match all over.

Joined the dark side, bought COD instead of BF for the first time since MW.

It's been a DAY, and they're already making improvements to the game. You can now pickup items faster, and the quick menu closes after about five seconds of inactivity. Those are both good changes.

It's been a DAY, and they're already making improvements to the game. You can now pickup items faster, and the quick menu closes after about five seconds of inactivity. Those are both good changes.

They also increased the player count to 88.

One of the devs said they'd try to go up to 115 if they can. We might be seeing 100 players at launch.

Kacho

Gold Member
This game is going to be huge, even by normal COD standards lol

Edit: RIP single player

Last edited:

Hit

Neo Member
I’ve recived 4 codes for ps4 i don’t need

DQBL-NENR-G2DJ

DQBL-PANL-2DPQ

DQBL-X4NN-8C5D

ETEF-5TNH-8CN5

Codes 208

this is pretty fucking awesome, coming from someone who has played hundreds of hours of pubg and fortnite.

I think you mean its not going to be a fortnite killer. Because while fortnite is basically the next minecraft in terms of popularity, this has more than enough potential to finally put pubg out of its misery.

Im playing on a base ps4 and it, in beta, runs better than pubg did on my X

INC

If anyone has a spare code and wouldn't mind pm me the code, I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

Tesseract

Banned
I think you mean its not going to be a fortnite killer. Because while fortnite is basically the next minecraft in terms of popularity, this has more than enough potential to finally put pubg out of its misery.

Im playing on a base ps4 and it, in beta, runs better than pubg did on my X

can only speak as a pc player, where 60 fps ultra 1080p pubg is a pretty normal thing. and no i seriously doubt this kills pubg, not without significant advancement.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It really should have been. Enhance it even further with bots so that when inevitably the MP servers go down you can still play this.

There's no single player, the game is MP only. If they are charging $60 already there is no need to split it up.
Presumably you have bots on the MP maps though.

Two things that come to my mind:
  • It seems to play very naturally for anyone who played PUBG. I reckon most BR titles have similar mechanics, but seeing it in action really shows off how similar it is.
  • Visually is the biggest disappointment however. I often got reminded of last-gen COD titles on a bigger scale. Perhaps this is all they got get out of the IW tech for now with the new Superterrain feature, but visually Blackout really does not hold up to other games.
  • It should be standalone, lel :)

Adry9

Can someone DM me a code? Guys, if you post them here lurkers from outside the forum will take them. Thank you.

EDIT: Got it.

Last edited:

If Modern Warfare 4 is next, they'll have a new map with Captain Price and Ghost and levels like that Siberian prison.

ptuck874

7QJ7-P5NX-AHCL
7QJ7-T7NG-FN6A
RPM5-KGNN-TKX6
3 extra for anyone :) have fun (i started to finally after about 5 rounds of wondering what the hell was i doing.....)

-MD-

I know the open beta is a day later but if anyone has a spare PC code I'd gladly use it.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Watched a few streams today, seems like a pretty worthy competitor to pubg. I enjoy the mobile version of pubg more than the pc version though. I enjoy the game but without some sort of ranking system it sucks to be thrown with the wolves. Feels impossible to learn the game and get good at shooting when you get smashed round after round.

Mobile pubg at least increases difficulty by decreasing the bot count as you gain ranks. I have a feeling I'll skip bo4 if it doesn't have some notion of tiering when matching players

This game kicks all sorts of ass.....I love it.

Don’t think it will do much to fortnite since Fortnite is a different game to me and is free but it will shit all over PUBG.......IMO

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hope the PC beta has a preload, wouldn't want to waste at least 8 hours of it downloading the game. Nothing in battle.net yet.

Grinchy

Banned
I played a couple hours of this yesterday. I may suck really bad so far, but they have a really solid foundation here. As someone who really does not like COD, it feels so crazy that I'm thinking about buying it next month.

GenericUser

After playing more of the beta, it actually grows on me tbh. It's still frustrating as hell when you get shot right after a match starts, but if you manage to get your hands on some decent gear it's good fun. I know I'm the minority, but getting rid of the campaign for blackout seems like a really good deal to me. It'll be nice to spend a couple of chill matches in blackout after rockin the very fast core mp mode. Definitely looking forward to the game.

MDSLKTR

I don't want to spoil myself watching streams so I have a couple questions:
-How are the helicopter physics? More like the cod arcade sections or battlefield?
-Is there bulletdrop for sniper rifles?
-Is the arsenal of weapons BO4 themed or do you see classic cold war/ww2 stuff?

I don't want to spoil myself watching streams so I have a couple questions:
-How are the helicopter physics? More like the cod arcade sections or battlefield?
-Is there bulletdrop for sniper rifles?
-Is the arsenal of weapons BO4 themed or do you see classic cold war/ww2 stuff?
Helicopters are more on the arcade side, definitely not the take off and crash BF style.

Kacho

Gold Member
Can anyone who has the beta installed on Xbox tell me what I need to look for on the store? I have the game preordered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom