• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blackout Beta |OT| Excuse me waiter, there's a PUBG in my COD

Kacho

Gold Member
call-of-duty-battle-royale-mode-called-blackout.jpg

Beta Start Dates:
  • PS4: Monday, September 10
  • Xbox One: Friday, September 14
  • PC early access: Friday, September 14
  • PC open beta: Saturday, September 15
Beta Start Times:
  • UK: 6pm (BST)
  • Europe: 7pm (CEST)
  • East Coast US: 1pm (EDT)
  • West Coast US: 10am (PDT)
How to participate:

if you participated in the first Black Ops 4 beta, then access to the Blackout beta is automatically granted. It's thought to be the same client as before - it'll need an update, but having it pre-installed and ready to go could save a little time.

If you've yet to participate in the Black Ops 4 beta, to access the beta on console, you must get a Black Ops 4 beta code by pre-ordering the game. If from a store, you will receive a code from the retailer, while digital purchases will grant your account automatic access.

On PC, you download the game through BattleNet. You don't need to pre-order to play the Black Ops 4 beta, though doing so will give you one day of early access.

Though experience won't carry over into the full game, playing the first multiplayer beta gave everyone a "unique, one-of-a-kind calling card" to carry over into the full game. It's not confirmed if this is the same, but there might be something similar.

Credit to Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...4-beta-start-time-battle-royale-blackout-5982

Last edited:

Codes 208

I tried to preorder from amazon twice with both times getting a "this code has already been used" error. I tried contacting customer support but of course it was just a huge run around that wasted my fucking time.

*sigh* I guess ill either preorder from gamestop or not give a fuck anymore. As boring as BFV's beta is, atleast its an open beta.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
With the way they push this, much more than DICE does, you would think it would become a standalone game at some point.

BFV was my second most anticipated game for this fall but after playing the beta I'm not even buying it anymore. COD has now taken it's place. Can't wait to jump in on the 14th.

Kacho

Gold Member
A little over an hour until the beta starts. Please post impressions if you can. I'll post any random stuff I can find for those stuck at work.

Zoanoid33

Anyone have an extra ps4 code by chance? Pre ordering on Amazon didn't work, they are getting worse and worse it seems.

zwiggelbig

BFV was my second most anticipated game for this fall but after playing the beta I'm not even buying it anymore. COD has now taken it's place. Can't wait to jump in on the 14th.
im in the same boat as you, hope it exceeds my expactions

Watched a bit of Doc playing - I think it's exactly what people wanted a COD Battle Royale to be. The maps, characters and zombies are a brilliant touch.
I don't think BFV gives players the Battle Royale they wanted.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't think BFV gives players the Battle Royale they wanted.

You've played BFV's BR? Tell us about it. Should be interesting, because most BF players have very little info about how it will ultimately play. So whatever imaginary BR the imaginary majority of BFV players wanted we can't tell if BFV offers it yet, but maybe your inside info will clear things up.

Blackout is looking really good so far. Can't wait to see it played on PC with m&k. Looting corpses with controller looks really painful, could use some proximity loot---which may even be there but Doc hasn't figured it out.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

man this is craaazy.. We now have a realistic battle royale game that actually runs well.. I think that if I play it once I can never go back to the horrible optimisation of pubg

MaKTaiL

man this is craaazy.. We now have a realistic battle royale game that actually runs well.. I think that if I play it once I can never go back to the horrible optimisation of pubg
That's what happens when an AAA company finally decides to tackle Battle Royale :)

You've played BFV's BR? Tell us about it. Should be interesting, because most BF players have very little info about how it will ultimately play. So whatever imaginary BR the imaginary majority of BFV players wanted we can't tell if BFV offers it yet, but maybe your inside info will clear things up.

Yeah it has no solo mode, you're stuck with teams of four and supports only 64 players. It has Conquest objectives, some of which are in fixed locations lmao.
Ever wanted to play hardcore Conquest but pretend it's Battle Royale?
It's linked to the stupid progression system. If you pre-order BFV you get additional weapons, equipment and early weapon unlocks. They literally market it by saying tanks can blow the fuck out of unsuspecting teams.
Firestorm is not even made by DICE and it might not be available at launch.

I believe that when people think of Battlefield Battle Royale, what they mean is "PUBG with destruction". Criterion seem to be making a big hardcore CQ map with deadlier weather and shit equipment scattered around in case you don't want to play the objective to earn the good weapons. That's not "PUBG with destruction", that's "Battlefield but marketing says it's Battle Royale".

Meanwhile Blackout is "PUBG but Call of Duty" and the extra sprinkles like the five to eight zombies found in a couple of locations don't seem as limiting as an exclusively four players team or objective based gameplay are.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This looks like it’s gonna be a massive hit. I could see it changing the way they release COD games if they start monetizing this heavily. I also feel like console H1Z1 and PUBG are dead when this comes out.

Why play the buggy and ugly versions? I guess the free aspect of H1 might help it at least. But if PUBG comes to ps4 at 24fps cinematic mode, who is going to want that over this?

Last edited:

Calibos

This looks like it’s gonna be a massive hit. I could see it changing the way they release COD games if they start monetizing this heavily. I also feel like console H1Z1 and PUBG are dead when this comes out.

Why play the buggy and ugly versions? I guess the free aspect of H1 might help it at least. But if PUBG comes to ps4 at 24fps cinematic mode, who is going to want that over this?

I am a self professed Hardcore Xbox PubG player. This game will end that obsession just from what I am seeing here. Needle just went to full buy day one!

Grinchy

Banned
I am a self professed Hardcore Xbox PubG player. This game will end that obsession just from what I am seeing here. Needle just went to full buy day one!
I'm a self-professed COD hater who doesn't even love the BR genre and I'm way more interested in this than I would have expected to be. They really look like they nailed this.

Kacho

Gold Member
I'm really impressed with what Treyarch was able to do here. I was doubtful they'd pull it off since it seemed to be coming in hot but looks like they did well.

I wonder if it'll hook me though. I can see myself getting bored quickly and just moving back to TDM, S&D, HP, etc.

Phear

I don't Like it. But then, i don't Like Battle Royale at all. CoD didn't Change that. I'll stay with the regular Multiplayer.

I just got done with a couple of sessions. I was amazed by how silky smooth it ran. I'm on console so I can't tell the exact framerate but it felt like the usual COD 60 FPS (or close to it) at all times, despite the huge map and player count.

I'm not a big BR fan myself, but after playing it, I think this mode could be huge for those that love this gametype if they keep improving upon it. Most gunfights feel fair because there are a lot of guns scattered around, so you seem to always be able to get a long/short range gun combo, unlike the heavy RNG in Fortnite. I would however like to see the TTK increased in BR a bit more. You seem to get melted a bit too quickly by default in this game for my liking. But maybe I just missed out on higher tier armour. That's an easy fix though.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I would however like to see the TTK increased in BR a bit more. You seem to get melted a bit too quickly by default in this game for my liking. But maybe I just missed out on higher tier armour. That's an easy fix though.

That was definitely the big question heading into this beta and I'm not surprised to hear it's so low. I expect a lot of balance tuning to come from this.

Friday can't come soon enough.

Revas

Looks too fast paced for me, not sure if it features the same nuance as PUBG in terms of bullet drop and sound design but it looks nice and runs way better than I imagined.

Green Saber

Been watching the Doc and really enjoying what I have seen of the Beta so far. Looking forward to trying the Beta on the Xbox X later in the week.

It looks so smooth compared to PUBG on Xbox, and most of all it looks fun as hell.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Just watched a stream by a guy called (Drift0r) who had a play with his friends. Surprisingly detailed info, won a game by providing an extra pair set of eyes by Recon Car and the team worked together really well and the Recon Car actually is quite useful. I never watched the guy before but it looked like pretty fun.

They did all say that the visuals were pretty awful though. It generally looked like BLOPS 2 but open world. (Skip to like 40 or something.

ultrazilla

Has anyone pre-ordered this on Amazon and gotten their Blackout beta code from them? I just pre-ordered the standard digital PS4 edition through Amazon and no code for the the
beta was sent.

Codes 208

A half hour ago. I'm a Prime Member(have been for years) and usually the codes are sent pretty much right when the order comes in.
Im also a Prime member and Ive had to preorder twice. The first one took nearly a day and the second was several hourse from the order. On top of that, I got a "this code has been used" error both times...

So I said fuck it and preordered at gamestop

waylo

Banned
Really looking forward to checking this out on PC this weekend. Been watching Doc play and it looks fun.

PSYGN

I'm really impressed with what Treyarch was able to do here. I was doubtful they'd pull it off since it seemed to be coming in hot but looks like they did well.

I wonder if it'll hook me though. I can see myself getting bored quickly and just moving back to TDM, S&D, HP, etc.

I like the fast paced action that traditional matches provide so for me this is the icing on the top that I didn't ask for but it sweetens the deal. This seems like it will be fun for players that enjoy the slower pace of battle royale.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I've liked it so far. Slight minor menu bugs but nothing major, almost everything works as planned. Except I belly-flopped off of the Construction Site cause I don't know how to deploy my wingsuit. I managed it off of the Dam. Best I've made so far is 4 kills and 3rd place. I think its quite pretty and smooth thankfully.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Shroud driving a truck, Lirik in the back with a rocket launcher, hopefully somebody clipped that insanity. They take down a little bird close, then retreat, see a truck heading out, nail it too, then start taking fire from multiple directions, bail out of the truck and get overrun. Take my money.

Last edited:

theHFIC

I can't wait to see all the cash grab micro-transactions and lootboxes a AAA battle royale game can deliver to the public. While I thought PUBG's system was crazy, I bet Treyarch and Activision really have some good ones cooking in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom