• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther 2 won’t feature a CG Chadwick, nor will they recast

bitbydeath

DEADLINE: It was announced at Disney Investor Day that you would not recast another actor in the role of T’Challa for Black Panther 2 following Chadwick Boseman’s death. Can you tell us more about that? Will this be similar to what was done in Tron where a younger Jeff Bridges was replicated via CG? Or is this a whole different angle on Black Panther 2? There’s been rumors that it will have a female angle.
FEIGE: So much of the comics and that first movie is the world of Wakanda. Wakanda is a place to further explore with characters and different subcultures. This was always and initially the primary focus of the next story. We’re not going to have a CG Chadwick and we’re not recasting T’Challa. Ryan Coogler is working very hard right now on the script with all the respect and love and genius that he has, which gives us great solace, so it was always about furthering the mythology and the inspiration of Wakanda. There’s also the task of honoring and respecting the ongoing learnings and teachings from Chad as well.

I hope they just keep having characters tell each other they just missed him, he's run out to get brunch, is in the toilet, etc.

Then for the big final showdown with the big villain, we see none of it, and the camera is 100% on the rest of the cast watching it and describing what they're supposed to be seeing.

Jethalal

Banned
As I said in some other thread, I really wanted John David Washington to take over the role. Dude acts well and Denzel was even a benefactor to Chadwick, he paid his acting school fee.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

9aff75d60c0125c6d60d37fce02d4226.gif

I hope they just keep having characters tell each other they just missed him, he's run out to get brunch, is in the toilet, etc.

Then for the big final showdown with the big villain, we see none of it, and the camera is 100% on the rest of the cast watching it and describing what they're supposed to be seeing.
Or they just have flashbacks of the good times with him. Like into those filler sitcom episodes (that I hate so much)..

Jethalal

Banned
I think they'll go with M'Baku or Killmonger. They are just tweaking the script so I don't think they will bring in a female lead like Nakia or Okoye as that would warrant a big change as they are not royalty in any way or of any tribe. Shuri is too young and inexperienced in combat and I don't think the actress would be able to pull it off. One they could do is make Shuri the new queen and have Black Panther as a bodyguard to the queen type role- that way they can bring in Okoye as the new BP.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah I was just going to post there has been a female Black Panther in the comics ( Shuri I think.... it was a long time ago ) and I could easily see woke Marvel going down this road
Yup. It was Shuri. They did it in the comics and that’s probably going to be what they do in the sequel.

Once you start doing stuff like that you remove the stakes.
Given their use of time travel and magic fuckery to undo the finger snap and bring back Loki, Gamora and Vision, we are well passed that point.

I say lean into it and start having fun with it. Also bring Captain Britain into the MCU.

Jethalal

Banned
Once you start doing stuff like that you remove the stakes.
This is an unusual case though and as I said here
I think they'll go with M'Baku or Killmonger. They are just tweaking the script so I don't think they will bring in a female lead like Nakia or Okoye as that would warrant a big change as they are not royalty in any way or of any tribe. Shuri is too young and inexperienced in combat and I don't think the actress would be able to pull it off. One they could do is make Shuri the new queen and have Black Panther as a bodyguard to the queen type role- that way they can bring in Okoye as the new BP.
I think they can go with mbaku as well. Wont mind the duo Black Panther team I have suggested as well.

buizel

Banned
ah, just like star wars "'Rogue One' Tarkin CGI Won't Replace Actors, ILM Promises ..."

iu
iu

iu
iu

in all seriousness, if the Black Panther CGI team attempted to CGI a human face (judging by their awful BP1 CGI) it would look like this:

iu

Kennedy specifically said that they would not have Carrie Fisher in the movies...the story was also repeated by Fishers brother.

ILM also promised they wont be resorting to CG actors after Rogue One.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

They’ll just do the Beerfest treatment. Black panther is a title not a name. They’ll probably just grab another prominent wakanda official and make them black panther.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i thought it was widely known that that Shuri was going to become the Black Panther?
they'll CG the black panther death..but it won't specifically show Chadwick

Last edited:

DKehoe

not sure i agree with that, seems too adherent to permadeath tricks and tropes
Once you start getting into different timelines and realities in order to undo stuff that happened in previous films people will stop giving a shit. They’ve already dipped their toe in that pool with undoing the snap. But at least that was always planned as something that was meant to be undone and everyone knew it. Bringing back characters that you killed off just because you need to retcon stuff for convenience is going to make people stop keeping track of what you do. Because what happened before stops being as significant.

Your average person is interested in those films because there’s a universe they can follow along with fairly easily. But they don’t actually read the comics because the rabbit hole goes way too deep.

Tesseract

Banned
Once you start getting into different timelines and realities in order to undo stuff that happened in previous films people will stop giving a shit. They’ve already dipped their toe in that pool with undoing the snap. But at least that was always planned as something that was meant to be undone and everyone knew it. Bringing back characters that you killed off just because you need to retcon stuff for convenience is going to make people stop keeping track of what you do. Because what happened before stops being as significant.

Your average person is interested in those films because there’s a universe they can follow along with fairly easily. But they don’t actually read the comics because the rabbit hole goes way too deep.
a different interpretation on previously described events doesn't really matter so long as the events themselves are impactful

tenet foregoes characterization and flirts with entropy in a way that breaks down these kinds of conveniences (as an example)

i'd rather get over the dead is dead hurdle now than later, give writers room to bloc and revise narratives with new information

Eh I understand trying to respect the actor but I don't feel like trashing the fictional character is the right way to go. Just recast the role.

MrMephistoX

Yup. It was Shuri. They did it in the comics and that’s probably going to be what they do in the sequel.

It’s the only way for it to make sense and not be disrespectful to Chadwick short of recasting and pretending nothing happened. Maybe if they do a Flashpoint like event to grab RDJ and Chris Evans out of the multiverse for one last payday they can recast T’Challa then?

sol_bad

I'm hoping they don't use the multiverse to "fix" too many things. I am very happy that Endgame really showed that Gamora was a completely different character to the one we know. They showed that the same character from another reality can't just replace one that we already know. That's how it should be and there should be no "quick fix".

It generally doesn't make sense to pull a character from another reality anyway. If a character leaves their reality it means they are leaving their friends and family, it wouldn't make sense to just give up on the people they know to help people in a reality that they don't know.

Top Bottom