• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa goes Definitive Edition

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Thing promised, thing due, Black Mesa: Definitive Edition is here!

LOGO---Header20fps.gif

This big free update transforms the Half-Life remake to version 1.5 with a big polish on the whole game.
Better graphics, better optimization and redesign of certain passages, notably Part B of On A Rail. Also of note is the full implementation of the Steam Workshop and the correction of a bunch of bugs.
The developer team also took the opportunity to adjust the gameplay in some places. By adding enemies here and adjusting the level-design there.

XEYUuSB.gif
clDTMjO.gif
CtfdiWL.gif

Highlights of the Definitive Edition

Massive polish and art updates throughout the game
Complete lighting and gameplay pass to the chapter “Power Up”
Complete redesign of second “On A Rail” map (map B)
Significant optimizations across the whole game that will improve performance on low to mid range PCs
Outdoor art passes for “We’ve Got Hostiles”, “On A Rail”, “Questionable Ethics”, “Surface Tension”, and “Forget About Freeman”
New shield and architectural art for Interloper
Full workshop support

HlITmlo.jpg
FODJeJA.jpg
JMXKUcR.jpg
cptAh8F.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! I was super impressed with what they achieved when I played it like a year ago.

Fbh

Is this one worth getting if I never played the original? Is it good beyond the nostalgia factor?

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don’t remember how far I got through this, but if they’re still going with more updates I’ll give it more time before I continue.
Is this one worth getting if I never played the original? Is it good beyond the nostalgia factor?
It’s basically a fan remake that turned into a (semi?) official project. Half-Life is great and this is a modern update. Go for it

GriffinCorp

What a surprise. I guess I'm going to start a new game soon. I loved this game back in 1998 and the Black Mesa mod was just pure magic, what a bonus!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Might be worth a replay, it's really really good. I've beaten the original Half-Life enough by now that if I'm gonna replay it, I'm gonna replay BM.

Xyphie

Played it earlier this year. Xen looks fantastic but you can tell some of the Earth maps date back from 15 years ago when the game started development.

JayK47

Controller support? Maybe the Steam controller, which I seem to have misplaced due to lack of use. So far I am enjoying this game. It reminds me of how bad shooters have become.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it’s not even the definitive half life experience.
Wait is a necro post

Last edited:
I can't wait for the Black Mesa expansions Opposing Force and Blue Shift but especially Opposing Force.

Opposing Force was probably the best single player Half-Life game. So awesome.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Controller support? Maybe the Steam controller, which I seem to have misplaced due to lack of use. So far I am enjoying this game. It reminds me of how bad shooters have become.
Fuck you 😂
I just bought it in the last sale thinking, suddenly it got a huge ass update

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I knew they redid the Zen level, but they have gone overboard. The level feels like it never ends.
Xen. *triggered*

And yes I finished it not too long ago and while the initial visit is truly amazing it does very much overstay its welcome. Kind of a shame as they've done a really good job otherwise with this remake.

Cattlyst

Been playing Black Mesa over the last few weeks and got excited that this was a new update for it. Then I noticed the date.

ShadowNate

They had an update/ patch released back in September 2021. Looks like it might be a good time to revisit this.

Also on their workshop there is the "Black: Mesa" mod, which is a remake (WIP) of the Blue Shift campaign. I've not played this yet.

I don't think there's one for Opposing Force, is there?

I mean there's this project that has its own steam store page, but it is an entirely separate project (still WIP too).

JayK47

Finally finished it. Xen lasted WAY longer than I wanted it to. Never ending puzzles. Up until Xen it was a great game. Parts of Xen were ok, but the developers went overboard with the update.

Top Bottom