• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News Hype Black Mesa goes Definitive Edition

KyoShiRo330

Jan 21, 2018
Bordeaux, France
Thing promised, thing due, Black Mesa: Definitive Edition is here!

This big free update transforms the Half-Life remake to version 1.5 with a big polish on the whole game.
Better graphics, better optimization and redesign of certain passages, notably Part B of On A Rail. Also of note is the full implementation of the Steam Workshop and the correction of a bunch of bugs.
The developer team also took the opportunity to adjust the gameplay in some places. By adding enemies here and adjusting the level-design there.

Highlights of the Definitive Edition

Massive polish and art updates throughout the game
Complete lighting and gameplay pass to the chapter “Power Up”
Complete redesign of second “On A Rail” map (map B)
Significant optimizations across the whole game that will improve performance on low to mid range PCs
Outdoor art passes for “We’ve Got Hostiles”, “On A Rail”, “Questionable Ethics”, “Surface Tension”, and “Forget About Freeman”
New shield and architectural art for Interloper
Full workshop support

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
I already liked the game even back when it was a free mod & had the deadly accurate Marines. Will be great to play this, perhaps this weekend.

Reactions: Kuranghi

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Nice! I was super impressed with what they achieved when I played it like a year ago.

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Is this one worth getting if I never played the original? Is it good beyond the nostalgia factor?

Soodanim

Feb 24, 2012
I don’t remember how far I got through this, but if they’re still going with more updates I’ll give it more time before I continue.
Is this one worth getting if I never played the original? Is it good beyond the nostalgia factor?
It’s basically a fan remake that turned into a (semi?) official project. Half-Life is great and this is a modern update. Go for it

GriffinCorp

Aug 5, 2013
What a surprise. I guess I'm going to start a new game soon. I loved this game back in 1998 and the Black Mesa mod was just pure magic, what a bonus!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Might be worth a replay, it's really really good. I've beaten the original Half-Life enough by now that if I'm gonna replay it, I'm gonna replay BM.

Mar 3, 2020
Here come the Half Life clean-up Marines to remind us how much, much worse the AI of FPS enemies has got since HL came out... :(

Xyphie

Oct 4, 2007
Somewhere
Played it earlier this year. Xen looks fantastic but you can tell some of the Earth maps date back from 15 years ago when the game started development.