• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday UK : Nintendo Switch had its best week ever for the system

Bodomism

Banned

Top 5 biggest Switch weeks in the UK
  1. Black Friday 2021 : >100 000
  2. Black Friday 2019 : ~100 000
  3. Black Friday 2020 :
  4. Black Friday 2018 :
  5. Launch week : 80 000
TbPTd7j.jpg

xbox%20series%20s%20bundle%20rocket%20league%20fortnite.jpg

Mod edit: This will be the only time we do a cleanup. If the thread descends into bickering etc it will stay closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a switch oled last week and it’s a breath of fresh air. something special about the Nintendo exclusives

I mean I wouldn’t just want a switch, I likely spend more time on my xsx but I’m surprised I went so long without a Nintendo system after getting rid of my wii u

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I said this would be the case. Switch just annihilating the competition.

I do find it crazy that both game and curry’s had ps5 stock and it actually took some considerable time for them to sell on the day. Curry’s we’re posting pictures on social media of shelves full of ps5s.

edit. How the fuck does twitter work, I just spent the good part of 15 minutes trying to find the tweet and I can’t see it. Bollox

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I wonder how Christmas will go. Both Sony and Microsoft are holding stock back for it, so it's gonna be interesting I hope.
I don't think they are, there might be a couple small restocks, but I think they are both short on refuels.

Some people are going to be very dissapounted.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I just googled the name of the game shop, seems like it only has 1 shop , perhaps theres not alot of buyer on that area, or the people are unaware of the news.
Furthermore...not alot of followers on twitter, so that explains it.
Couldn't say, don't live there. Game is a big company over there as far as I know.

Like the UK version of Gamestop, but sure.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just googled the name of the game shop, seems like it only has 1 shop , perhaps theres not alot of buyer on that area, or the people are unaware of the news.
Game is the largest high street retailer dedicated to gaming. Think the GameStop of the uk.

basically, they are shit and over priced and ruined Gamestation but they are the last bastion of gaming stores in the uk, that now sell funky pops and over priced merchandise to try and stay alive.

they’re awful, but it’s all we have. There used to be around 300 stores nationwide.

I’m not really surprised Nintendo is doing this well. Who said having exclusives is a bad thing and don’t push hardware? The Nintendo Switch actually has genuine exclusives and a large library of excellent games that you cannot get anywhere else.

Most of the best PS5 games are also on the PS4 and most likely coming to PC eventually. Sure, you’ll sell more software, but I still think it will hurt hardware sales in the long run. The XSS seems to have much better availability compared to the PS5 and the XSX, so I’m not really surprised that it is doing pretty good also.

reksveks

Game is one of the biggest game retailers in the UK (smaller than it was in the 90's/2000's). They have a twitter profile for each one of their store locations. You can go to the main nationwide site and do click and collect or delivery.

reksveks

I wonder how Christmas will go. Both Sony and Microsoft are holding stock back for it, so it's gonna be interesting I hope.
I don't expect much improvement to the stock situation. I am curious about the situation of the Fortnite bundle, amazon says Dec 13th afaik so confused by the day that you can get it in stores.

93xfan

Banned
Nobody should be surprised about Switch doing well compared to the competition, because it has a wealth of great games unlike the newer consoles.

True, but with BC, there’s also so much to love with Xbox, and you get some great N64 games that aren’t on Switch

I’m not really surprised Nintendo is doing this well. Who said having exclusives is a bad thing and don’t push hardware? The Nintendo Switch actually has genuine exclusives and a large library of excellent games that you cannot get anywhere else.
Nintendo is a special case. They don't have many as many 3rd party games as Nintendo or Microsoft. If i remember correctly Switch is for example missing GTA V, RDR 2, COD, BF, Deathloop, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Desperados 3, Resident Evil Village and many more. For this reason people are going for the exclusives and Nintendo can keep the prices high.

People buy Nintendo for exclusives and Sony/Microsoft for 3rd party. The only way for Sony/Microsoft to sell as many exclusives is to spend an absolutely crazy amount of money on marketing which Sony does for their high budget AAAs.

jigglet

Banned
There was PS5 stock on that particular day that didn't seem to be moving very fast.

I want all 3 consoles but I wouldn't buy launch PS5. It's just too big. I need something with a small footprint. Anyone that lives in an expensive city (Sydney, Tokyo, NYC, San Fran) will know every inch counts. I'm definitely on board with a v1.1 though.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I want all 3 consoles but I wouldn't buy launch PS5. It's just too big. I need something with a small footprint. Anyone that lives in an expensive city (Sydney, Tokyo, NYC, San Fran) will know every inch counts. I'm definitely on board with a v1.1 though.
Just wall mount it if space is at a premium. The DE is pretty nice looking and much smaller than a PC tower.

DonJorginho

Banned
Pretty amazing for the Switch to being doing THIS well 5 years into it's lifespan, can easily see Nintendo fully supporting this till at least early 2023.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Just wall mount it if space is at a premium. The DE is pretty nice looking and much smaller than a PC tower.

It's way too ugly to wall mount! Even consoles I consider good looking are kept in a cupboard (Switch). The only console I think is worthy of being shown off is the XBSX. There's just something about it that I can't put my finger on. The rest go in my entertainment unit.

chonga

It is the only national physical gaming retailer the UK has.

It is hated upon for being expensive and just generally rubbish.

I think the issue is probably more that people aren't really thinking to look on Twitter for stock notifications in their local store they're trained to think that stock is only getting dumped online, as really that is where it has been dumped for the vast majority of the time.

Indeed on their website they had a restock last week and when I took a look the queue was over 2 hours long.

I mean you could literally buy it and sell it instantly for a profit to a shop we have here that buys and sells your unwanted junk so I don't think lack of demand would be an issue, it is lack of awareness.

amc

Game has hundreds of stores, that tweet was for a particular town/cities individual store only. I don't usually use Game but got a Series S for the bedroom after some pretty fucking great One S trade in deal a while back. Can't really remember the specifics but think I paid under a hundred after trading in my old One S.

But yeah, they're liked about as much as Gamestop are over here in the UK. So not much.

Last edited:

reksveks

Game has hundreds of stores, that tweet was for a particular town/cities individual store only. I don't usually use Game but got a Series S for the bedroom after some pretty fucking great One S trade in deal a while back. Can't really remember the specifics but think I paid under a hundred after trading in my old One S.
Game do some stupidly good deals for the Series S. I think you could have gotten a Series S for a Switch and 79/99 GBP before.

Tams

Gold Member
I'm in tears here! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RAIDEN1

Switch and Series S are the best consoles for people like me, long hour work, only play games just a couple hour on the weekend, no need to invest in the most sophisticated systems, most of my times spent on family or work.
I just brought a Series X which is my first Xbox console purchase since I brought the One in 2014, for me that is about as far as it goes...the Series X will see me through for the next few years, at the very least. Not too bothered about PS5, unless they said hell yes here are the PS1-3 backward compatibility you have been waiting for or there is another MGS exclusive like MGS 4...

Tams

Gold Member
So you are telling me, because 1 shop have enough PS5 stocks, nobody wants PS5 anymore?
Demand for PS5 has vanish?
No one is buying PS5 in the whole UK?
No, I was on the floor laughing that you thought it was just one shop that was being used as an example for the whole country.

A simple search would have told you that 'Game' is the single (and only) physical game store chain in the UK. And from that you could have worked out that that Twitter was only one branch's/town's store.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
No, I was on the floor laughing that you thought it was just one shop that was being used as an example for the whole country.

A simple search would have told you that 'Game' is the single (and only) physical game store chain in the UK. And from that you could have worked out that that Twitter was only one branch's/town's store.
Yea i figured that out later, initially I thought the shop name was "GAME GREAT Yarmouth" , but its actually its just one of the many shops and each shop has their own twitter for updates.

Top Bottom