• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert releases March 4 for Xbox One.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/black-desert

from yt:
Black Desert is an upcoming MMORPG for Xbox One, and features a truly open world where you can Become Your True Self! Engage in epic battles, delve into deep and rewarding life skills or just explore the world at your own pace, Black Desert has something for everyone to enjoy. With 4k Ultra HD Enhancements on the Xbox One X, you can truly enjoy everything the Black Desert world has to offer.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Can't wait for this. Beta was good, but a little rough. Hope they get it cleaned up for launch.

LOLCats

Banned
meh. Too many things you have to buy to make the game anyfun. Unless there are siginficant changes in the console version i probably wont bother

Last edited:

iHaunter

So far every version of this became P2W via cash shop. Korean MMO developers can't seem to help themselves. Play at your own wallet.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I noticed an ad for this on the Xbox store last night. Anyone planning on trying it? Standard edition is $30.

Fragment

Played it for a couple of years on PC, quit the game for the 3rd time last month and I definitely won't be back.

Game is gorgeous and the best combat in any MMO I've played.. in fact after playing this I can't go back to Guild Wars 2 or WoW because the combat just feels so bad in those games compared to BDO.

The seamless world really feels good too, this game had a lot of good things going for it, especially early on when it came out.

However the PC version of this game was WAY too predatory, both in time cost to progress and in the demand of money to be competitive or just simply to enjoy the game (I've spent almost $2,000 on it).

The company behind this game (Pearl Abyss) is slimy as fuck with their cash shop tactics and controlling in game assets in order to sell more of specific cash shop items.

I noticed an ad for this on the Xbox store last night. Anyone planning on trying it? Standard edition is $30.

I played it extensively on the PC when it launched.

Gameplay is fun, there are so many ways to go about the game. If you just want to fuck around and don't really care about progression you have options like crafting, farming, basically being a producer of goods.

The exploration was my favorite part. There are a ton of different enemies to fight and a massive overworld to explore with some of the most varied terrain I've seen.

The problem with the game is that it starts off quickly, then becomes a massive time sink. I reached a certain point where I was playing for hours just to move ahead a small step when I finally just gave it up. I basically had to choose between paying for shit in the cash shop or making BDO a full-time job. I chose option 3 and said fuck it. I still haven't seen the whole world, and they've added significantly to it since launch.

Character creation and editing is a hard pill to swallow as well. While there are plenty of armor types in the game, changing colors or getting cosmetic pieces costs real money. If you want a remotely unique character it's going to cost money.

The other issue that game had when I was playing is with the streaming environments. When this game was released my PC was running anything at max settings with no issues whatsoever, usually with massive headroom. Despite my PC indicating that I had plenty of Vram to spare and my temps were down in the low 50s, this game's frame rate would tank randomly. The environment LOD pop-in was all over the place. A tree a mile away would LOD up full while a tree ten feet away would look like the trees a mile off should look then pop back to normal. You can get screenshots from this game that are insane, but in motion shit was all over the place.

I think is Pearl Abyss was a little less Pearl Abuse, this game could have had some real legs on it. I still kind of want to get back into it but I know it's not going to work out in the end.

Guileless

Thanks for the detailed impressions. Sounds like i need to invest in this Pearl Abyss company.

Fragment

Thanks for the detailed impressions. Sounds like i need to invest in this Pearl Abyss company.

This is also the company that just bought EVE Online not too long ago apparently to make some mobile games with the IP.

So yeah they are going to be rolling in filthy amounts of money soon. They make like 50 times more from the mobile version of BDO compared to the PC version and I wonder for how much longer they will keep updating the non mobile versions because of the larger cost/effort, the fact that they currently milking Russia, Japan, Korea, South America, Europe and North America with the same game might be helping keep the studio going but the game has a tough time with player retention or attracting new people.

They've been pretty decent with updates to BDO both in constantly re-working classes and adding new content/expansions (sometimes not for the better) so they aren't a "complete shit" company that ignores it's community say like an EA. It feels like the company is run by both people who game and by investors who want to see large returns and that it's a company that is at odds with itself in trying to exploit gamers and appease them.

Even with all the constant updates and changed to the game overall it still feels like it needed ranked PvP match/queue system and more small party/group things to enjoy with or make some new friends such as instanced dungeons or something.

They added a Battle Royale system into the game not too long ago to keep people playing the game.

But yeah Pearl Abyss the company is super freaking predatory, exploitative and definitely not trustworthy.

Guileless

It feels like the company is run by both people who game and by investors who want to see large returns and that it's a company that is at odds with itself in trying to exploit gamers and appease them.

That's a great observation. You can say that about the industry as a whole as well in 2019.

Top Bottom