• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert |OT| Microsoft Finally got some Anime on Xbox!

757eda81-ff99-4375-8f26-58a58790f3e9.jpg

black-desert-online-xbox-beta-sign-up.gif
MPYcOm0.gif

(Gifs Running on Xbox One X console hardware)
WELCOME TO THE BLACK DESERT |OT|!
Partner: Microsoft Developed: Pearl Abyss Xbox One X Optimized: YES Buy Now: www.xbox.com/en-US/games/black-desert Rating: T

Official Xbox Game Launch Trailer:

bf3436d7-5f38-4824-90af-1f93b09efaca.jpg

Become Your True Self

Black Desert is a living-world MMORPG. Experience fast-paced, action-packed combat, hunt monsters and huge bosses, fight with friends in a guild to siege nodes and region castles, train your life skills such as fishing, trading, crafting, cooking, and much more! Explore vibrant, stunning locales in an open-world, next-gen RPG!

Incredible Character Customization Tools
One of the most powerful character customization tools available on Xbox One. Become Your True Self by creating characters that truly represent you.

Revolutionary Action-packed Combat
Get to grips with the fast paced, combo-orientated combat system of Black Desert. Chaining skills together has never felt so satisfying!
Expansive Open World to Explore
Black Desert has a huge open world to explore. From the seaside towns of Velia and Olvia, to the sprawling expanse of Calpheon and the deserts of Valencia, there is always something new to discover.
80e76c4a-e4ac-498c-ac77-df34996e2ab4.jpg

Deep and Rewarding Life Skills
Sometimes it's good to just sit back and relax, and in Black Desert you can fish, trade, hunt, craft and more! Each life skill rewards players in their own ways, but every lifeskill can be profitable!

Player Driven Economy
Black Desert features a completely Player driven marketplace. Buying and selling goods all happens through the Central Market Place, and the central market place stock is populated purely by the players.

93c2ee1e-3f63-41be-b9c5-e8b2d92b514f.jpg

4K: 4K Ultra HD not available on Xbox One or Xbox One S consoles.

HDR: HDR functionality available with supported games and TVs.

ESRB-ver2013_T.png

logo.svg

OT Presented by Voost Kain
w94QJXF.png

Powered by NeoGAF
neogaf.png

Apparently there's a $9.99 version of the game not hinted by the devs, interesting:
https://www.trueachievements.com/n3...led-out-for-questionable-marketing-techniques
Before the game was released, there were three options for players to pre-order the title. The first was the aforementioned Standard Edition, which for US$29.99 (or regional equivalent) included the game, a 30-day Value Pack, a Snow Wolfdog Pet, and 500 Pearls in-game currency. There was also a Deluxe Edition for US$59.99 and an Ultimate Edition for $99.99, both of which offered additional in-game goodies. As the cheapest option was known as the Standard Edition, a term commonly given to the cheapest version of the game that comes with the least number of extras, many assumed these would be the only versions of the game, but upon release there was another version of the game.
Now players have the option of buying just the game on its own for US$9.99 and the Standard Edition is no longer the cheapest version of the game. Some players are stating that the base game has always cost $10 on other platforms and it was only a matter of time before that option came to the Xbox One, but others are calling this deceptive and have already asked for a refund for their purchase.

it turns out that the Standard Edition of the game, and the cheapest version of the game that was available to pre-order, has been joined by a base game option for a third of the price.

To those who have played this. How is it? How does it compare to other mmos like wow never winter eso and Guild Wars. Hows it run on x. Story any good

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Been seeing a lot of ads on GAF actually that the game is just $10. I decided to pick up the $10 version, if for no other reason to check out the character creator everyone's going on about.
Character generator is both wildly impressive and completely cumbersome and unintuitive at the same time. Luckily, you can download hundreds (or more) of user created characters and then modify those if you want. Game is a ton of fun though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Game runs very smoothly in 4K on XB1X and looks great. I haven’t gotten to play much but I do like the combat on Berserker.

The UI is horrible and everything feels cluttered ingame. Is there a way to zoom the camera out?

Hendrick's

Game runs very smoothly in 4K on XB1X and looks great. I haven’t gotten to play much but I do like the combat on Berserker.

The UI is horrible and everything feels cluttered ingame. Is there a way to zoom the camera out?
Not that I know of. It could definitely benefit from more UI customization options. I imagine those will come in time. There is a toggle to hide UI in combat though.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Been seeing a lot of ads on GAF actually that the game is just $10. I decided to pick up the $10 version, if for no other reason to check out the character creator everyone's going on about.

It's awesome isn't it.

To those who have played this. How is it? How does it compare to other mmos like wow never winter eso and Guild Wars. Hows it run on x. Story any good

I've played this on PC for a short time and even tried some private server versions. Graphically it's the best on the market, hands down. That being said, there is some personality missing from the game. The story is weak, the character development is non-existent. The game is simply a grind fest. You level up...then keep leveling up and earn good gear by doing essentially the same thing over and over and over again. Fill up on quests, run to said quests, kill a bunch of monsters. Earn money, and then decide when you wanna delve into the convoluted housing, crafting and job system. You can also have workers who do some of the running around for you. There are systems in the game that aren't really explained well in the game and will require you to watch videos on how to accomplish things like connecting "Nodes" from town to town.

The Combat is flashy, stylish and overkill. Eventually you'll want to take your skills to pvp which is really what BDO is all about because there is no group PVE content to speak of. Things like raids and dungeons as far as I know, do not exist in this game. Therefore, it is warranted to throw everything you know of MMO's out the window when trying this game out. Go in with no expectation except the intention to grind your ass off to become more powerful. Gear is not tied to level and I honestly still don't completely understand how it works. On PC there is a meta for what gear should be used for what class but it is as convoluted as the other systems are in the game. I never got much into the pvp overall.

When I tried the beta, using the controller felt really off. Usually action type games feel better on the controller but you can tell a PC developer tried to slap together controller support. Admittedly, controller support was better on the PC version and this may have been fixed since the beta.

I've played Neverwinter, ESO, FFXIV and FFXI most recently...I have not played WOW. BDO isn't like any of them...period. They simply can't be compared. BDO is just too different.

Last edited:
ive never played this or read anything about it. Do you have to pay a monthly fee for this? Will the 9.99 I pay still allow me to enjoy most of what this game has to offer? Thanks!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
ive never played this or read anything about it. Do you have to pay a monthly fee for this? Will the 9.99 I pay still allow me to enjoy most of what this game has to offer? Thanks!

No subscription and not really pay to win as it is pay for convenience. That's where they'll get ya. There are costumes that you can buy that have various in game benefits. You don't absolutely need them but the grind of the game is designed to lean you toward those microtransactions. A friend of mine spend well over $300 dollars on the game for various things such as extra inventory space, high end mounts and crafting outfits, just to name a few.

He may have had an issue, but if by some miracle nobody goes for the microtransactions it'll be simply an equally ridiculous grind for everyone.

splattered

So kind of similar to Path of Exile style Microtransactions?

Played that game just a bit and enjoyed it but never bought anything for it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

On a scale from Clash of Clans to Path of Exile, I'd say this probably ranks a Star Wars Battlefront II.

In all seriousness though, Path of Exile's microtransactions are all cosmetic outside of their stash tabs. This game's "cosmetics" give you in-game boosts so it's a bit less friendly. It sounds a lot like what Fallout 76 was getting flack for a few weeks ago.

Hendrick's

Well I was wrong before, there is a way to change the zoom. Hold down the right stick for a few seconds then you can move it up or down to adjust. I'm finding new things every day in this game.

Freeman76

Yes, that a big problem. On 1080p it's less, on 4K is just a mess and is unplayable. On 1080p is very blurry but i like it with uncap fps.

I think though, it's worth the 10$ just to try it.

I put 300 hours in on PC and loved every minute, I was quite excited to play the console version as I thought they would do away with all the AFK crap, but alas, they have kept it the same. I cant deal with screen tearing, otherwise I would have bought the cheap version just to revisit this awesome gameworld again from the confort of my sofa

Hendrick's

There are both cosmetics and essentially boosts that speed up the grind. I have been having a good time with the $10 version and haven't bought anything else. That said, I imagine as I get further into it to (beyond level 50), I will likely spend some extra. Basically, the grind doesn't really begin until you hit 50, so there is no need to spend anything before that. If I get to the end game and am still enjoying the content enough, I have no problem supporting a game with some micro-transactions.
Yes, that a big problem. On 1080p it's less, on 4K is just a mess and is unplayable. On 1080p is very blurry but i like it with uncap fps.

I think though, it's worth the 10$ just to try it.
1080p is smoother for sure, but I find it actually runs pretty good at 4K. The game does have an odd look to it (as in it made me dizzy to play due to visual effects) but I have gotten used to it. One piece of advice, turn the camera effect slider way down.

It's awesome isn't it.

I've played this on PC for a short time and even tried some private server versions. Graphically it's the best on the market, hands down. That being said, there is some personality missing from the game. The story is weak, the character development is non-existent. The game is simply a grind fest. You level up...then keep leveling up and earn good gear by doing essentially the same thing over and over and over again. Fill up on quests, run to said quests, kill a bunch of monsters. Earn money, and then decide when you wanna delve into the convoluted housing, crafting and job system. You can also have workers who do some of the running around for you. There are systems in the game that aren't really explained well in the game and will require you to watch videos on how to accomplish things like connecting "Nodes" from town to town.

The Combat is flashy, stylish and overkill. Eventually you'll want to take your skills to pvp which is really what BDO is all about because there is no group PVE content to speak of. Things like raids and dungeons as far as I know, do not exist in this game. Therefore, it is warranted to throw everything you know of MMO's out the window when trying this game out. Go in with no expectation except the intention to grind your ass off to become more powerful. Gear is not tied to level and I honestly still don't completely understand how it works. On PC there is a meta for what gear should be used for what class but it is as convoluted as the other systems are in the game. I never got much into the pvp overall.

When I tried the beta, using the controller felt really off. Usually action type games feel better on the controller but you can tell a PC developer tried to slap together controller support. Admittedly, controller support was better on the PC version and this may have been fixed since the beta.

I've played Neverwinter, ESO, FFXIV and FFXI most recently...I have not played WOW. BDO isn't like any of them...period. They simply can't be compared. BDO is just too different.

You describe it very well. This sums up exactly how I felt when I tried it on PC. I didn’t understand how the systems really worked and while I could have invested more time into learning I just opted for the refund instead. I know a lot of people swear by this game though. Maybe I need to give it another chance

Hendrick's

You describe it very well. This sums up exactly how I felt when I tried it on PC. I didn’t understand how the systems really worked and while I could have invested more time into learning I just opted for the refund instead. I know a lot of people swear by this game though. Maybe I need to give it another chance
The game has a lot of depth and is very confusing at the start for sure. I have probably watched more YouTube vids on how to play than actually playing so far. It is also like many say, very much a ARPG grind with not much story. Still, if you like games like Diablo, PoE, etc., you will find a lot to like here. Also, and this is just what I hear as I am not there yet, the endgame PVP is supposed to be very good.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I put 300 hours in on PC and loved every minute, I was quite excited to play the console version as I thought they would do away with all the AFK crap, but alas, they have kept it the same. I cant deal with screen tearing, otherwise I would have bought the cheap version just to revisit this awesome gameworld again from the confort of my sofa

Help me out man. You've played this way more than I have. When you say "awesome gameworld" are you referring at all to the story. I find it difficult to follow the story as it's very....fragmented I guess? I don't really understand how these people are connected. Then you have gain knowledge to have certain conversations with people? It seems to be some type of system that makes you talk to every npc in a given area. Am I in the ball park? Help me understand what made you love the game so much.

Is the pop-in improved? That's what drove me away from the PC version. Having plants, NPC's, and players magically appearing out of thin air 30ft in front of me was a massive turnoff.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

Help me out man. You've played this way more than I have. When you say "awesome gameworld" are you referring at all to the story. I find it difficult to follow the story as it's very....fragmented I guess? I don't really understand how these people are connected. Then you have gain knowledge to have certain conversations with people? It seems to be some type of system that makes you talk to every npc in a given area. Am I in the ball park? Help me understand what made you love the game so much.
Just ignore the story. Treat it like Anthem.

Freeman76

The lifeskills and how organic it all feels. For so many hours I found it fun to take things slow, it feels like you are always progressing towards something. Building your node network and managing all your goods etc, its a game in itself. I actually found the story to be the worst aspect of the game, I didnt bother following it too much if I'm honest.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The lifeskills and how organic it all feels. For so many hours I found it fun to take things slow, it feels like you are always progressing towards something. Building your node network and managing all your goods etc, its a game in itself. I actually found the story to be the worst aspect of the game, I didnt bother following it too much if I'm honest.

Hmm...so if you treat it kinda like a second life kinda scenario, where you're trying to just live in this alternative world then it could be enjoyable. My expectation was just, grind grind grind. I mean that's kind of a nose-to-the pavement type of expectation I had where I just didn't find myself wanting to do that. However looking at it from your angle sound much more...tolerable. I'm just this lowly wizard, doing my thing, knowing one day I'll be awesome...and I'll get there, but before I go killing everything in sight, maybe I'll go fishing a bit...tend to my horses...maybe make a few deliveries, buy a house or 3.

OK ok ok....I might give this another shot.

Game not a good mmo game. Heavy p2w plus terrible end game with no raids and all. P2w pvp focused end game was bad choice.

Plus pearl shop is full of insanely priced cosmetic items and game is very greedy when it comes to free cosmetic items in game.

Is the pop-in improved? That's what drove me away from the PC version. Having plants, NPC's, and players magically appearing out of thin air 30ft in front of me was a massive turnoff.
No pop ins are there with ridiculous DoF effects even on X.

If it was f2p then i would have not complained much but its paid and super p2w with not much good content means its hard to recommend to anyone

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Jigsaah Jigsaah Remember our conversation about me buying the game and you explaining everything for me? Guess what mate? The game is coming on the game pass 🕺🏻

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The Wizard is so much fun. Trying to master the combos for now
Nice dude. try to resist microtransactions for as long as you can. There's an event going on that will provide for you as you level up. secondly. If you haven't already, make all 6 of your characters. Stop whatever you're doing and do that now. They will coming handy when it comes to using energy leveling up weapons and armor, as well as strategic placement to save time on travelling for certain tasks. There is no fast travel in the game....far as I can tell...at all. So you gotta get yourself a good horse. I don't know if this is everywhere, but the west side of the map you'll see a town called "Trent". I don't know what triggered it, but I went there and the Stable hand there had a Tier 5 horse just waiting for me to pick up. It may be worth it to stop by there once your main quest takes you to Florin, as that's more toward the west side of the map, albeit much further north.

Good hunting. Feel free to IM me if you have questions.

Mista

Banned
Nice dude. try to resist microtransactions for as long as you can. There's an event going on that will provide for you as you level up. secondly. If you haven't already, make all 6 of your characters. Stop whatever you're doing and do that now. They will coming handy when it comes to using energy leveling up weapons and armor, as well as strategic placement to save time on travelling for certain tasks. There is no fast travel in the game....far as I can tell...at all. So you gotta get yourself a good horse. I don't know if this is everywhere, but the west side of the map you'll see a town called "Trent". I don't know what triggered it, but I went there and the Stable hand there had a Tier 5 horse just waiting for me to pick up. It may be worth it to stop by there once your main quest takes you to Florin, as that's more toward the west side of the map, albeit much further north.

Good hunting. Feel free to IM me if you have questions.
Do I have to level up the other 6 characters? Later on you’ll have to tell me more about that energy leveling. Is there a particular why to trigger combos or I just mix my abilities?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Do I have to level up the other 6 characters? Later on you’ll have to tell me more about that energy leveling. Is there a particular why to trigger combos or I just mix my abilities?
Take the other characters to level 6. This will give you a good idea of their style of play as well as open up the black spirit for the purposes of gear enhancement. Follow the black spirit quest with each of them to hit 6. Don't just go out and kill 6 levels worth of mobs. After you take them to 6, I would place 2 in Velia, one in Hiedel and the other 2 where you feel they would be most useful. The 2 in Velia is to be able to do afk fishing and building enhancement stacks for upgrading weapons and gears to the higher tiers. Look up a guide by going on Youtube and searching for "BDO building fail stacks". This will give you a good idea how the enhancement process works.

Don't upgrade anything until you get to 50. You will hit a DPS wall shortly after and will realize this is now the time upgrade gear and weapons. You then should choose what gear set(s) you want to run. BDO is unique in that none of the gear has level requirements. Any class can wear any armor and at any level. So it's really about choosing what set bonuses are most important to your playstyle. The class specific things are the weapons. Most people start with "Rosar" or "yuria" weapons. For armor, People generally use Grunil and Heve though there are many other options. For jewelry, you'll want to start with doing repeatable quests that give you tokens to turn in for Rings, Earings and necklace. You will get these quests after reaching level 50 or so from the black spirit. Once you get that starter jewelry, you should look to Farm an area called "Helm's Outpost" and "Abandoned Iron Mine". They are both on the East Side of the map and drop the "Asula" set of accessories. This will be your beginning set that will prepare you to do field bosses (appearing randomly on 4 servers in the game, keep your eye on chat) and Kzarka, the world boss (appears simultaneously on all servers).

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Take the other characters to level 6. This will give you a good idea of their style of play as well as open up the black spirit for the purposes of gear enhancement. Follow the black spirit quest with each of them to hit 6. Don't just go out and kill 6 levels worth of mobs. After you take them to 6, I would place 2 in Velia, one in Hiedel and the other 2 where you feel they would be most useful. The 2 in Velia is to be able to do afk fishing and building enhancement stacks for upgrading weapons and gears to the higher tiers. Look up a guide by going on Youtube and searching for "BDO building fail stacks". This will give you a good idea how the enhancement process works.

Don't upgrade anything until you get to 50. You will hit a DPS wall shortly after and will realize this is now the time upgrade gear and weapons. You then should choose what gear set(s) you want to run. BDO is unique in that none of the gear has level requirements. Any class can wear any armor and at any level. So it's really about choosing what set bonuses are most important to your playstyle. The class specific things are the weapons. Most people start with "Rosar" or "yuria" weapons. For armor, People generally use Grunil and Heve though there are many other options. For jewelry, you'll want to start with doing repeatable quests that give you tokens to turn in for Rings, Earings and necklace. You will get these quests after reaching level 50 or so from the black spirit. Once you get that starter jewelry, you should look to Farm an area called "Helm's Outpost" and "Abandoned Iron Mine". They are both on the East Side of the map and drop the "Asula" set of accessories. This will be your beginning set that will prepare you to do field bosses (appearing randomly on 4 servers in the game, keep your eye on chat) and Kzarka, the world boss (appears simultaneously on all servers).
Thank you for this mate I really appreciate it. I just didn’t understand the sending my characters to towns thing. I’m still level 18 so I don’t know bout this sorry

Top Bottom