• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and You: Navigating the Future of Tech (a NeoGAF discussion thread)

Comments are GOLD

67669504.jpg

My god, that thread about crypto currencies on Era was painful to read. We got into « if you buy crypto, you’re a bad person » territory.
The hero has ventured into the underworld, survived the encounter with the monstrous reeeeeeee, and returned to us bearing gifts. Friend, your sacrifice will not be in vain. I and many others like myself, shall buy more crypto. Umbasa.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
i know nothing about anything about this shit. but i bought doge coin out of the meme. and now im making money......... so how does this magic bullshit shit work?

CloudNull

Banned
i know nothing about anything about this shit. but i bought doge coin out of the meme. and now im making money......... so how does this magic bullshit shit work?
Crypto is built on blockchain technology. Blockchain tech makes it so everything is decentralized. Bitcoin has proven the tech works and eventually the amount of Bitcoin in circulation will cap out creating more demand with not enough supply. This is the reason no one knows how high Bitcoin will go.

The scope of blockchain is currently being discovered and many other alt coins are developing technologies built on blockchain. Ethreum is used for building decentralized apps for example.

A lot of the pricing of a crypto has typical trends as regular markets being driven by hype and tech supposed to be developed In The future. Some coins like Doge have no purpose besides being an entry to crypto and increasing in price because Elon gases it up.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Finally got my CB account set-up with payment linked via PayPal. What a pain. Kind of annoyed they take a 2.5% cut on these deposits as well.

I did all their quizzes so now I have some random balances.

Probably just going to keep an eye on these for a while so I can learn more about the market before trying to dip my toe in the water. I will also try my damndest to get ACH working, since there is no % fee on those deposits.

Edit: weird, now I finally had the option to manually link my bank account directly with CoinBase. If this works, awesome!

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Dogecoin @ $0.41!!!

I know that there's a lot of people eying Doge because of this rise and the hype behind it, but I really would urge caution. It was designed to work against this kind of price inflation and has been subject to numerous pump and dumps over the years.

One of the more well known and infamous from years gone was a guy named Wolong who "appears" to have disappeared from the scene but before doing so gave a fairly decent write up of how the market was manipulated by the whales.

https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@joseph/wolong-the-game-of-deception-unedited-version

Again, I'll point out that the majority of Doge is owned by about 100 investors. The kind of manipulation Wolong describes is absolutely still possible and is most likely still in play.

Just be careful guys - the market is ripe for rugpulls and pump and dumps. Don't put in anything you're not able to lose.

Edit: Also - Elon is not your friend on this. The guy is either reckless and irresponsible and just enjoying playing with the meme or he's invested somewhere and stands to gain.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
gradient gradient

I'm so excited because I bought 25k dogecoins back in 2014, so I'm making a good profit right now and kicking myself for not buying more.

That's great news for you - a tidy profit. Just don't end up kicking yourself for not selling before the pop. There's nothing wrong with taking at least a bit of profit so that you can say that your investment paid of.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

gradient gradient

I'm so excited because I bought 25k dogecoins back in 2014, so I'm making a good profit right now and kicking myself for not buying more.
ya i fantasize that i mined twice as many doge or actually bought some. at it's lowest it was ~$5 for 50,000 coin. imagine a 10,000x return.

if you spent
$5 then you would have $20,000
$50 then $200,000
$500 then $2,000,000
$5000 then $20,000,000

Last edited:

Denton

Just out of curiosity I started mining with trex ethereum, so far my 2080Ti mined 0.1077 ETH, which appears to be some 358 dollars according to what shows up in metamask.

I assume I should just keep it there, since ETH is more likely to go up than down in the near future?

And if I wanted to exchange it into fiat money, how would I even do that? I am in Europe btw.

Last edited:
Not trying to shill a particular coin.... BUT, there's a project called DEXA. It's a crypto technology out of Dubai in UAE.

Imagine an app that combines twitter / facebook / and allows you to make purchases AND send crypto to those in your group for free AND can make person to person loans and charge interest and then give ratings on people that paid you back late or on time.

This could really be something huge.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Just out of curiosity I started mining with trex ethereum, so far my 2080Ti mined 0.1077 ETH, which appears to be some 358 dollars according to what shows up in metamask.

I assume I should just keep it there, since ETH is more likely to go up than down in the near future?

And if I wanted to exchange it into fiat money, how would I even do that? I am in Europe btw.

how long did that take you to mine?

TheUsual

Gold Member
So anyone's thoughts on Polkadot? Looks really hyped up and getting it has been a pain in the ass. I have Kraken and Coinbase. Sent some of my Bitcoin to Kraken to convert the Bitcoin to Polkadot.
Wiring money from my CU to Kraken looks to be a real pain in the ass on my end. Tried buying it direct on Ledger and didn't work with my card.

sackings

Not trying to shill a particular coin.... BUT, there's a project called DEXA. It's a crypto technology out of Dubai in UAE.

Imagine an app that combines twitter / facebook / and allows you to make purchases AND send crypto to those in your group for free AND can make person to person loans and charge interest and then give ratings on people that paid you back late or on time.

This could really be something huge.
I love this post

CloudNull

Banned
So anyone's thoughts on Polkadot? Looks really hyped up and getting it has been a pain in the ass. I have Kraken and Coinbase. Sent some of my Bitcoin to Kraken to convert the Bitcoin to Polkadot.
Wiring money from my CU to Kraken looks to be a real pain in the ass on my end. Tried buying it direct on Ledger and didn't work with my card.
Just bought some polkadot on crypto. Super easy. Won’t go back to Kraken after how easy crypto has made it unless kraken has a very unique coin not traded elsewhere.

As for the polkadot tech I think this is the best tech out currently that has a chance of bridging all the blockchains. Really unique.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just bought some polkadot on crypto. Super easy. Won’t go back to Kraken after how easy crypto has made it unless kraken has a very unique coin not traded elsewhere.

As for the polkadot tech I think this is the best tech out currently that has a chance of bridging all the blockchains. Really unique.
Tried signing up and looks like it's not available for me in the US. Bummer!

bigedole

I'm really happy about Eth, I bought a few back at ~700 a couple years ago. I seriously can not imagine who is buying more at 3k. You crazy.

Synless

There is clearly a correlation with Doge going up and everything else going red at this point. Last time it led to a huge drop after everyone dumped doge…. Let’s see what happens this time.

Doczu

You guys think it's a good moment to invest a bit i to Eth/Etc? Is it gonna ride on green for some time or is a dip incoming?

Think there is a sell wall at .69 for the memes?

I was just thinking about that myself. If I was buying DOGE now, I'd probably put in to sell at $0.69. Of course, if it hits that wall and there is a mass sell-off, it's possible a lot of sell limit orders won't go through. Probably safer to put in to sell at $0.68 if you want to do that.

Irobot82

I was just thinking about that myself. If I was buying DOGE now, I'd probably put in to sell at $0.69. Of course, if it hits that wall and there is a mass sell-off, it's possible a lot of sell limit orders won't go through. Probably safer to put in to sell at $0.68 if you want to do that.
Now you got me thinking about when to put my coins on the exchange.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I'll thank Robinhood and the Doge situation for getting me to get a Ledger and onto Coinbase et al so I can control my crypto. Really sucks I'm being tied to them for what I have with them with Doge.

Someone educate me if I'm wrong here but:

Dogecoin is effectively a fiat currency, in that an unlimited amount can be made... so while it may never be as valuable individually as BTC or ETH (that have a limit)... it could find its way as a universal fiat dollar (kind of like the Euro but worldwide)... correct?

I'm hesitant to drop my majority crypto holdings on it as another fiat crypto may appear that is better... or fiat crypto may be banned... who knows. I guess that's all in the gamble.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Someone educate me if I'm wrong here but:

Dogecoin is effectively a fiat currency, in that an unlimited amount can be made... so while it may never be as valuable individually as BTC or ETH (that have a limit)... it could find its way as a universal fiat dollar (kind of like the Euro but worldwide)... correct?

I'm hesitant to drop my majority crypto holdings on it as another fiat crypto may appear that is better... or fiat crypto may be banned... who knows. I guess that's all in the gamble.

Doge is a joke crypto that only has value because people think it's funny for it to have value. If you didn't buy any at pennies it's not worth getting.

Top Bottom