• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and You: Navigating the Future of Tech (a NeoGAF discussion thread)

Ascend

There's some stuff going on with Sia. See here;

It might end up being nothing, but, it's good to know. And with Sia it's hard to be profitable with both offering storage and mining.

Personally, I just setup a storage blockchain program on my PC with a similar name xD Chia. It's from the inventor of BitTorrent and was just released this year. Not many people know about it yet, so, I guess the potential gains there are higher.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
There's some stuff going on with Sia. See here;

It might end up being nothing, but, it's good to know. And with Sia it's hard to be profitable with both offering storage and mining.

Personally, I just setup a storage blockchain with a similar name xD Chia. It's from the inventor of BitTorrent and was just released this year. Not many people know about it yet, so, I guess the potential gains there are higher.

Yeah this a third party website. They are aloud to have their opinion but the fact the actual sia website links to skynet gives me confidence. Also sia just started getting traded on crypto and other companies are starting to use the sia network.

All other decentralized coins like filecoin tend to be vaporware talking about tech that will be developed but nothing available yet. The sia network is proven to work and Skynet has just recently released adding to the second layer. I am sure another company could come out and do it better but currently Sia has the biggest lead with working tech. Sia and Polka are the two technologies getting me the most excited but it is hard to keep up with it all.

bigsnack

I’m starting to feel like ADA is part of a pump and dump (though I own some) as see people constantly referencing buying ADA while it price keeps dropping. Having said that, still thinking of buying!
I’m not a big believer in Technical analysis of charts necessarily, but I do see value in them being a representation of the behavior of the market at any given time. When markets go straight up without any pause, it doesn’t give enough people a chance to get in along the way, and prevents participants from getting “used to” prices as they climb. This leads to a bunch of people being long at the low, and a bunch of people being long at the high. That’s why a lot of these coins fall so hard when they show weakness.
When a coin methodically climbs upward, with backing and filling and “pullbacks” along the way, it gives people a chance to enter as it climbs, and distributes entries, exits, stops, and profit targets. You can compare the climbs of different coins, and see which ones might have healthier structure than others. It can also give you a good idea of where price is trying to go, without using squiggly lines or indicators.

Question regarding binance, it it safe to give them my SSN? I've never had any application ask for my full SSN, usually just the last 4 digits so it kinda stopped me in my tracks during my account creation and keep hearing that these exchanges get hit by data leaks all the time, is there any truth to it? Coinbase is great and all, but all the potential good investments are not on it. Also can you get Siacoin on binance? It says that it's available there but I don't see it on their market...

CloudNull

Banned
Question regarding binance, it it safe to give them my SSN? I've never had any application ask for my full SSN, usually just the last 4 digits so it kinda stopped me in my tracks during my account creation and keep hearing that these exchanges get hit by data leaks all the time, is there any truth to it? Coinbase is great and all, but all the potential good investments are not on it. Also can you get Siacoin on binance? It says that it's available there but I don't see it on their market...
Siacoin is on binance but I’ve never used it. I bought a bunch on kraken and another batch on crypto. Crypto was by far the better experience with more options.

I believe exchanges just need your ssn for legal reasons. Help prove your not using your wallet for illegal activities. Crypto didn’t need my ssn but I had to take a selfie and upload my drivers license.

CloudNull

Banned
Fuck I am torn I just gone done reading a bunch of white papers on the theta network/ blockchain. They seem to have a very unique technology with a lot of the big players backing it. I think I’m going to setup my gaming pc to be an edge node when not in use for gaming.

I think my next big buy will be Tfuel since it’s attached to the network and dirt cheap. So many damn blockchains its hard to know what is legit tech and not vapor ware. I guess the play is just to buy it all lol.

Last edited:

Ascend

Fuck I am torn I just gone done reading a bunch of white papers on the theta network/ blockchain. They seem to have a very unique technology with a lot of the big players backing it. I think I’m going to setup my gaming pc to be an edge node when not in use for gaming.

I think my next big buy will be Tfuel since it’s attached to the network and dirt cheap. So many damn blockchains its hard to know what is legit tech and not vapor ware. I guess the play is just to buy it all lol.
Indeed. There is a lot of great tech out there. It's hard to know them all, understand them all, know which ones will be successful...

Theta is definitely a good one though.

CloudNull

Banned
From what i have seen Theta is good too. Many people talk about how its video tech will be better than competition.
Yeah they seem to be developing it really fast and the team behind it has great creds. They already have a twitch alternative up and running that pays you in tfuel for watching streams. They are launching 3.0 soon which should cause tfuel to increase.

I think I’m going to go all in on tfuel and theta. Their unique design makes sense on paper to get around the congestion issues that most blockchains are having.

Last edited:

Ascend

Anyone notice that Solana has not corrected (yet)...? I'm so glad I invested into Solana.

Other coins that are doing better than average (meaning they at least held their ground, or went up in value at the time of posting) during this pullback are...;

Monero (XMR) (which I mentioned a few pages back)
Terra (LUNA)
Pancakeswap (CAKE)
Maker (MKR)
Compound (COMP)

Last edited:

God Enel

Yeah they seem to be developing it really fast and the team behind it has great creds. They already have a twitch alternative up and running that pays you in tfuel for watching streams. They are launching 3.0 soon which should cause tfuel to increase.

I think I’m going to go all in on tfuel and theta. Their unique design makes sense on paper to get around the congestion issues that most blockchains are having.
What’s it called?

CloudNull

Banned
What’s it called?
Theta.tv. It has a long way to go before being acceptable to the masses but currently you can stream and watch streams all for tfuel. Apparently tfuel will be more involved in the 3.0 network update coming out in few months.

Not sure if there is really a need for a twitch alternative but it’s a good way to help stress the network and prove the technology works. I respect the type of ecosystem they are creating but if tfuel doesn’t have any value then it will all be for nothing.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I haven't been able to get my account set-up on Gemini or Coinbase. Plaid for some reason won't accept my banking info or card number. Has anyone ever set-up a one of those rechargeable debit cards and transferred money that way? I don't feel like opening another checking account just to buy crypto.

I haven't been able to get my account set-up on Gemini or Coinbase. Plaid for some reason won't accept my banking info or card number. Has anyone ever set-up a one of those rechargeable debit cards and transferred money that way? I don't feel like opening another checking account just to buy crypto.

For some reason I didn't have any issues with Gemini (done after Coinbase), but on Coinbase it was a nightmare getting my bank info in. I finally emailed them and asked for help, and they got it in without going through the Plaid shit.

I used a debit card once, back in December when I got my first BTC. The fee is huge. I'd hassle with customer service rather than pay that again.

mldoufl.jpg

bigsnack

How is crypto not in a bubble?
I'd say that a huge portion of the industry is. There are eventually going to be winners and losers. Once that's identified, a LOT of these alts and whatnot are going to crash into oblivion. That being said, there are a lot of very smart people and heavy hitters in this space now, both on the technology / innovation side and the money side. Because of that alone, there are going to be innovations and real use cases for blockchain, and those companies will flourish and be a part of a whole new regime. Even if there aren't too many real use cases right this instant, someone is going to find / create one and that's where the money will flow. Big money is investing in basically every coin, because investors don't know which chains are going to rise to the top when the dust settles. Once some leaders really start to pull ahead, I believe that there will be huge shifts in funds to those projects, and a lot of lesser stuff will only be held up by the small fry buyers.

I personally don't see any value in crypto as a currency, that's just my regular dude, 1000 mile up view. I think blockchain will spawn many technological innovations though, most of which we haven't seen yet.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Got my Ledger Nano S and tested it out. Moved a bit of the Enjin coin I bought and sent to it no problem. Now just have to be sure to never lose that 24 word phrase recovery sheet...

Edit. As mentioned by someone else... definitely will need to watch the fees when sending out to my cold storage. Definitely can't be doing this in chunks.

This part of crypto ownership is all new to me.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Plaid didn't work for Coinbase for me but they were able to do two small deposits to my bank account for me to confirm. Robinhood did the same thing when I first set it up in the past.

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

If History repeats this year, the next 2 weeks should be positive across the board. Im hoping for new All time highs come may 15th or sooner. Im hopeful that bitcoin will finally break 75k.

Finally signed up to Coinbase. Haven't bought in yet, kinda want to hold on in case there is a noticable dip.

Make sure to buy through Coinbase Pro, or else you will be paying unnecessarily high fees. You can set limit orders in Pro as well if you have a target price you want to buy at. Of course, if you are looking at crypto as a long-term investment, buying in small increments periodically is the way to go.

Why do you think so may i ask?

BTC bounced up off of its 20-week moving average and is heading back up. The models I like suggest that it has a ways to go before a true correction. Ethereum is still strong as hell as well, and never really faltered.

HoodWinked

Doge running upto .38 before SNL

Okay then

Edit: nvm he's on next week maybe people are dumb like me and thought it was this week so it's running up lol

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Doge running upto .38 before SNL

Okay then

Edit: nvm he's on next week maybe people are dumb like me and thought it was this week so it's running up lol
I'm curious what fuckery Robinhood is going to do next week when he's on. No doubt Doge is going to go crazy when that happens. Robinhood is where I first got into crypto. Just Doge and ETC on it. Everything else is now on an exchange.

Ironbunny

Maher is mostly right crypto is like the Tulips it just has a fancier and more complex facade so we tell ourselves it's useful and won't crash. But it will only crash once we all stop believing but it's possible the delusion lasts forever.

Only thing I agree on your statement is that the price will actually crash again at some point and start the run again etc. Know what you hold.

Top Bottom