• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware ruined default Fem Shepard's appearance in Mass Effect Legendary Edition!

levyjl1988

Banned
Doesn't look bad at all in this shot;

EtUK2kHWYAU8Zob.jpg

I hope that's the case, but if she looks ugly when she is making an expression it is giving me fears. Hopefully from now until release they polish and fix it up.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Had to make her more manly.

I'm torn. This is nitpicking extreme, but also almost everything so far looks worse in the rerelease.

Blade2.0

My first trilogy was Fem shep. Guess I'll be male shep for the legendary edition. Unless they allowed for more lesbian action, that is.

checkcola

Didn't bad faces sink the Mass Effect IP for quite a while? Seems like that'd be the one thing they'd want to make sure to get right. I have no idea what this trend in making female faces so flat and wide, round like a strange flat bread pizza. I've never seen people looking like that in real life.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope that's the case, but if she looks ugly when she is making an expression it is giving me fears. Hopefully from now until release they polish and fix it up.
To me that has more to do with models not well made rather than actually being "ugly". Its basically same problem Bethesda has with their games. I take "ugly" but well made model over how BioWare and Bethesda makes their character models.

Thankfully they have a character creator. I will not be giving EA my money for this half-assed crap. I wonder how many others feel like me and then if the game's sales tank the EA execs will think the game has lost it's marketability and so they won't bother putting money into properly remaking the series in the future.

Or... maybe it will be profitable because they spent nothing on the upgrade. Look at the interviews with people who have seen the game. They try so hard to come across as positive about this being about all you can expect from a remaster but everyone is clearly disappointed it's not more.

The best thing about this is probably the updates to ME1 but I'm pretty much certain that it won't be enough.

I wish they would remake the entire series into one big arse game with the rpg mechanics from the first game and expound upon the choices as the story pans out with some really interesting possible alternative endings. There is room for this in the market. There is HUGE demand for this in the market. Look at the money going into Star Citizen. PEOPLE WANT A SERIOUS SCI-FI RPG. I don't understand why there isn't a bigger race to be the first ones to really pull it off. Does all our hope ride on Bethesda and Starfield? Can anyone tell me of any other games of this scope that might be coming?

Tschumi

If that's her final look it's definitely a doozy. Looks awful. But considering the way that cerberus dude looks, I'm not sure this is a final draft.. maybe it's an lod reduced version or something..

Anyway i always thought fem shepherd looked pretty crap, technically speaking, so any change is an improvement

Edit: also it'd be pretty stupid for us to take a shot of her animated face mid-glare, while shooting, as a definitive representation of her face.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

People threatening to cancel pre-orders in a game with full facial customization because they don't like the default look, the internet is wild, lol.

levyjl1988

Banned
Character models are so damn important that they can derail a game as evidenced by Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

Hell, Sonic's appearance was so bad they had to remodel Sonic.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Reading through a thread like this makes me feel alpha as fuck hahaha.

srsly neogaf at its best when they debate remasters gone wild.

loving it 🤣

Getting abby flashbacks right now

Last edited:
It's not that bad. At this point everything Bioware does it's going to be shit one way or another.

They have earned this kind scrutiny, though.

Last edited:
I give more of a shit of the fact that the trailer didnt specify anything else that is "remastered" other than upscaling the resolution to 4k.

Not even 60 fps? New lighting engine? Or idk, fucking anything else?

What a shitshow if so.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People threatening to cancel pre-orders in a game with full facial customization because they don't like the default look, the internet is wild, lol.
The customization sucked and only default male shep had good face because it was scanned

I don't usually create female charaters for my videogames. I think that Mass Effect trilogy are one of the fews that i have used a woman for my avatar.

I also don't behave evil in this kind of videogames. I'm very close minded when it comes to roleplay.

One of the best experiencies i had playing games was, after i played those game like i use to several times, playing them like an evil/retarded fem Shepard.

I was laughing my ass off the entire thing. Made me rethink some of my habits.

Last edited:
No surprise. Weren’t people sending death threats over changing Peter Parker’s face in Spider-Man as well?

Hudo

I am sorry if that has already been answered but this is still Unreal Engine 3, right? They just reworked textures and extended the lighting system?
Or did they port this to UE4?

D3SCHA1N

No surprise. Weren’t people sending death threats over changing Peter Parker’s face in Spider-Man as well?
Also incredibly lame, especially since I thought the new face was an improvement. In that game though you can't change it if you don't like it, you totally can in this game, so there is literally NO REASON to be upset if you don't like the look, just change it...

D.Final

Banned
gmTeoLy.png

Preorder Cancelled, they fucked up the default face.
It's like what Square-Enix did when they changed Lara's Look in the Remastered Edition.

You fucked up Bioware.
Honestly, the face should be more aligned to: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/178

Honestly, it looks like a fucking intern worked on the remodel, we didn't ask for.

Fucking hell... they didn't have to make slight alterations, just take ME3 Fem Shepard and upscale it, don't just mold it differently.

We wanted this:
tlZhSbo.jpg
f6gbSDx.jpg

h5u9tr3.jpg
giKB2R7.jpg

Not this:
loS30tH.png

This is reminding me of how Square-Enix screwed up the faces and resolved it.

nqIiatK.jpg

The left one is the improved version. On the right was the original abomination.

How this is happened0?

levyjl1988

Banned
I don't see it..

Oh, thank god they are fixing it.
I don't know if fighting enemies causes that crappy expression. It's similar to Marvel Avengers when the character enters combat they make a stupid grin or facial expression, seems like the default face is better now.
Glad they are listening and reacting.

levyjl1988

Banned
I'm excited to see the newly updated character creator for Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

So far CyberPunk 2077's character creation is fantastic because you get to make an attractive character.

or6tz5A.jpg

DPzKsnl.jpg

Grand Theft Auto V Online is just an abomination when attempting to make a female character.

01bsVfi.jpg

Top Bottom