• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

duder92

Neo Member
I picked this up and am making my way through Bioshock 2.

I had 2 or 3 hard lock ups playing through the first one. About half way through #2 with no crashes yet.

However, if you plan to play through both, be mindful that they share the same save files. You are only allowed 6 or 7 slots, regardless of system space. I played through the beginning of #2 up until the 1st autosave and the game would not save due to the bioshock 1 saves being full. I had to delete those and then restart #2.

Besides that ridiculous scenario, I am having a blast playing through them again. #1 may be my favorite game of all time, and this was probably the 5th or 6th time ive beaten it. Only thing that stood out was the lighting changes. Some places were just missing light. Other than that, nothing stood out.

Really enjoying #2. I beat it when it first came out, but have almost no memory of it, and so far it is really holding up well. I never played Minerva's Den, so I really cant wait to get to that.

I only played through Infinite once, so I'm interested to see how that compares to my thoughts at the time. (Liked it, no where near Bioshock though)

graybot

This collection has been a disaster for me on PS4.

Bioshock part one I kept having my game freeze over half way through the game.

Now playing Burial at sea and appear to have encountered a game breaking bug near the end of the DLC. This was on top of some very weird sound glitches

When I googled the errors I saw people complaining about the same issues...in the original versions. Pretty awful these were not fixed for these so called remastered versions.

When I emailed 2K initially about my issues with part 1 they responded by saying I should clear the cache. Which is basically bullshit..although I humoured them and did clear as they said and of course game froze again

cucuchu

Having never played through these back in the day (thanks to my World of Warcraft addiction....), I have started going through these on the PS4. Just beat the first one and it still holds up today and looks decent enough on the PS4 Pro.

Question: What difficulty should I start Bioshock 2 on if I want a similar challenge to hard on the first game? I found that difficulty just right for me. I've heard BS2 is a harder game though.

phyrlord

Can anyone tell me if the "map glitch" in bioshock remastered is fixed yet? I did a little googling and can't seem to find any info.

Basically the game crashes 50% of the time you bring the map up.

kromeo

Can anyone tell me if the "map glitch" in bioshock remastered is fixed yet? I did a little googling and can't seem to find any info.

Basically the game crashes 50% of the time you bring the map up.

Nope, it's happened to me multiple times and now it's crashed when I tried to save and deleted all my save files so I'm done with it.. ..

Ban me if this is old news but it seems like the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro have quietly received 4k updates to the entire BioShock Collection trilogy of games. They now run at the following resolutions (still ~60fps):

- PS4 Pro renders at a native resolution of 2560x1440.
- Xbox One X renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

I think it's time for another play through! Mmm crispy 4k resolution :messenger_beermugs:

Edit: BioShock 1 seems to have occasional performance issues on both consoles under some heavy action moments (but runs at 60fps on both a majority of the time). This was the worst example I could find:

svZ2WxH.png

Hopefully the new patch isn't just a once off effort and that they continue to work on it. I'm really glad that 2K returned to update the games though.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Ban me if this is old news but it seems like the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro have quietly received 4k updates to the entire BioShock Collection trilogy of games. They now run at the following resolutions (still ~60fps):

I think it's time for another play through! Mmm crispy 4k resolution :messenger_beermugs:

Edit: BioShock 1 seems to have occasional performance issues on both consoles under some heavy action moments (but runs at 60fps on both a majority of the time). This was the worst example I could find:

svZ2WxH.png

Hopefully the new patch isn't just a once off effort and that they continue to work on it. I'm really glad that 2K returned to update the games though.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think this is to coincide with each game getting an individual release (at least on the ps4). I noticed the first Bioshock at least had a director's commentary... was that always there? And is it available on the trilogy If not?

-Arcadia-

Banned

svZ2WxH.png

The choice between this, the Switch version, and the original (without some questionable small art/sound changes) is getting interesting.

I’m really tempted by one of my favorite worlds ever, in 4K. Anyone give it a spin yet, and have any impressions?

Beware on XBX, there is some constant juddering (not visible on the framerate video) on Bioshock 1 and 2 for some reason. People on youtube and elsewhere are complaining as it's very noticeable.

I know that would be a big problem for me. For those that have the choice it's better to get the games on Pro.

Last edited:
VG Tech - Swtich FR test for Bioshock

The version tested was 1.0.2.

Docked mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1230x692.

Portable mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1280x720 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 960x540.

Seems to dip by a couple frames in heavy fights

Last edited:
The choice between this, the Switch version, and the original (without some questionable small art/sound changes) is getting interesting.

I’m really tempted by one of my favorite worlds ever, in 4K. Anyone give it a spin yet, and have any impressions?

The Xbox One and Xbox One X both have a bug that causes periodic frame stuttering that was introduced with the new patch. If you only have one of those, I'd wait for the bug to be fixed. The PS4 Pro is the best way to play at the moment until the bug gets patched on Xbox One and X.

I just played through the opening of Infinite and did a few rounds in the Clash in the Clouds DLC to see if the periodic frame stutter occurs in Infinite too (it does).

Infinite looks amazing in 4k btw! The artwork really holds up IMO. I can't wait for the patch for the current patch :messenger_grinning_squinting:

...I wonder if the BioShock collection will be getting another update for the PS5 that will allow it to run in 4k, instead of just 1440p (assuming it's backwards compatible)? On the plus side, the X version won't need a specific 4k patch for the Series X as it's already running at that res.

I think this is to coincide with each game getting an individual release (at least on the ps4). I noticed the first Bioshock at least had a director's commentary... was that always there? And is it available on the trilogy If not?

The developer's commentary for BioShock 1 has been there since release and it's available if you buy the game as a trilogy/collection, not just individually (y).

Last edited:

Mypmarlo

Banned
Infinite on Switch has some glitchy pop-in from time to time, but it's fairly rare, mostly noticible in the first levels
Overall, giving how much of an ass it is to run UE3 on Switch - devs did hell of a job
framepacing is alright, framerate is very stable n it's pretty.

Top Bottom