• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Cosby Conviction Overturned

Prison Mike

Banned
bill cosby comedy GIF

Shrugs* and.. Yea he should rot in jail for the rest of his life but that's the American legal system, the meto movement put him in jail but it probably contributed to he's release as well, I won't be surprised if Harvey gets out.
Are you an Era member? I'm sorry if I offended you.

Nah not on Era, its just weird how people are trying to dunk on them in this way. Like it's every other thread they come up. Do they do that shit over there? It's just odd.

I mean.. I get it.. but it's also what you'd do if you were lying.

"I can't remember exactly how this event went down" isn't the same as "I can't remember if that woman consented".. the latter is more specific, and implies quite a bit.
Or he doesn't remember the exact moment of consent. For somebody rich, famous, but old and not there 100% mentally, remembering the exact moment of each woman where she said "yes, let's have sex" isn't as easy as you might think it would be. Like sure yeah that's what a liar would do (it probably isn't, they'd lie about remembering consent) but ifhe doesn't remember that exact moment during the interaction he was trainined to say he doesn't remember it.

Not remembering the event isn't an admission or sign of guilt. The other thing to keep in mind, as creepy and awful as it sounds, is that these moments were massive in the lives of these women but to Cosby they were one of a hundred. One of a thousand when combined with all his moments in his career and life like standup, awards, red carpets, women throwing themselves at him, getting wasted. Asking him specifics about a specific woman would be hard to remember as sad as that is to think about. He's a predator and deserved the sentence but unfortunately it was gotten the wrong way.

Last edited:

Loope

Except Woody Allen and Roman Polanski, of course.
Oh those should have gotten fucked up. Polanski got some wiggle room because of what happened with Sharon, although he shouldn't have. Woody Allen i never understood to be honest. All of them belong in jail, the only reason it doesn't happen is because they're famous.

Nah not on Era, its just weird how people are trying to dunk on them in this way. Like it's every other thread they come up. Do they do that shit over there? It's just odd.
There's been more than a couple times I've read about gaf on there, and just to let you know I read resetera multiple times daily, I enjoy the discussions and debates to a point, I do not have an account there because I would probably be banned in a week.
But there's no discussion over there, your either with them or banned like cancel culture, even if I formulate my sentences in a constructive manner to argue a point, it will undoubtedly result in a ban, because they would rather stick there head in a hole like an ostrich and pretend other opinions, thoughts, and opposition are to much to deal with.

Fun fack ostriches don't do this cause there scared they do it to check on there babies.
Also sorry for going off topic.

Blond

Banned
And well. A rapist doesn't deserve shit.
Can’t rape the willing in this case. Did anyone read the testimony of most of these Women? A lot and I mean A LOT of them worked for “Agencies” and knew what they were getting into. Regretting your hoedom is not a reason to put a dude with some really weird fetishes in jail. There was even a Woman who received a cash settlement and signed a contract to not talk about it and still did and you expect me to believe she’s an upstanding, trustful citizen?? Fuck no.

Weinstein is going to be overturned just wait.

Atrus

Gold Member
It looks like he was guilty but was not afforded proper due process so he gets to go free. Fair enough.
His legacy is tainted as is and hopefully people are wise enough not to be acceoting food/drinks from him in the future.

He's a serial rapist, he's not gonna do
Can’t rape the willing in this case. Did anyone read the testimony of most of these Women? A lot and I mean A LOT of them worked for “Agencies” and knew what they were getting into. Regretting your hoedom is not a reason to put a dude with some really weird fetishes in jail. There was even a Woman who received a cash settlement and signed a contract to not talk about it and still did and you expect me to believe she’s an upstanding, trustful citizen?? Fuck no.

Alot or all of them? You can't just lump em all into gold diggers, yes I'm sure there may be one or two of them that knew they were getting into some shit but dude is a serial rapist and should die in jail.

Now that he's free, he can sue and use his combined finances to finally buyout NBC so there can actually be a reason for people to buy a TV besides games and stream sticks.

A more in depth analysis.

From this, it is... ugh, I have to agree with the decision even though it does sound like this guy likely guilty. It is really sad too, as I understand now why the original prosecutor did it, but their successor tried to proceed and why it ultimately got overturned.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
People keep saying he was convicted but let's go over the facts.

His first trial ended in Mistrial. Meaning the jury couldn't come to a decision (even though the judge gave the prosecution the upper hand.)

For the second trial the judge let an unprecedented 5 accusers corroborate the allegations with zero evidence. This resulted in his conviction but the evidence used was improper and now the whole thing has been overturned with the Supreme Court stating these 5 accusers unduly influenced the court.

So the question remains. Would he have been convicted if not for the improper testimony?

Loope

If you say so..I don't even know what to tell someone that says something like this. It was not one or two, it was a lot of women ,unless you want to lump every single one of them as willing, like you said. Maybe the use of drugs facilitated the whole ordeal, but what the fuck do i know. Maybe talk with a woman that went through the same shit and see if you think they are hoes or whatever the hell you wrote there (hoedom?).

Loope

People keep saying he was convicted but let's go over the facts.

His first trial ended in Mistrial. Meaning the jury couldn't come to a decision (even though the judge gave the prosecution the upper hand.)

For the second trial the judge let an unprecedented 5 accusers corroborate the allegations with zero evidence. This resulted in his conviction but the evidence used was improper and now the whole thing has been overturned with the Supreme Court stating these 5 accusers unduly influenced the court.

So the question remains. Would he have been convicted if not for the improper testimony?
I'm sorry, as soon as they promised him that they wouldn't convict him, he spilled the beans. Granted, they lied to get his testimony, but the guy admitted that shit. He will walk, because it was obtained illegally, but that doesn't mean is a holy saint that is being hanged by a combined group of women.

BeardGawd

Banned
I'm sorry, as soon as they promised him that they wouldn't convict him, he spilled the beans. Granted, they lied to get his testimony, but the guy admitted that shit. He will walk, because it was obtained illegally, but that doesn't mean is a holy saint that is being hanged by a combined group of women.
This did not happen. The media created this narrative by reframing his deposition. During the 60s and 70s Quaaludes (which is what he admitted to giving to one person) was used as a recreational drug. Similar to ecstasy and other drugs:

Quaalude was the party drug of the 1970s. A depressant, Quaalude (methaqualone) was known as "disco biscuits" because it released users' sexual inhibitions, making it a nightlife mainstay.

This is the problem with Twitter and the #metoo movement. They're compromising the strength of cases against rapists by fraternizing on Twitter, posting their accounts without a lawyer's or police consultation, and applying public pressure on complex legal cases to approach them in a certain way that can result in decisions being overturned.

Well, hope they can get him on tax fraud and put him away for 30.

One could equally ask: would he have had a mistrial and an overturned conviction if not for a statute of limitations?

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
If you say so..I don't even know what to tell someone that says something like this. It was not one or two, it was a lot of women ,unless you want to lump every single one of them as willing, like you said. Maybe the use of drugs facilitated the whole ordeal, but what the fuck do i know. Maybe talk with a woman that went through the same shit and see if you think they are hoes or whatever the hell you wrote there (hoedom?).
Well whoredom is what I meant. I didn’t say it didn’t happen, I’m saying as someone that read these testimonies that it really comes off as regret on their part and not actual “rape” it happened, but they knew he was down to party just like Trumps pussy grabbing shit that the world wouldn’t shut the ever loving fuck up about for years but was applauded by enough people to get him elected to the fucking Presidency.

And I’m not the only one considering it took 3 Juries, the entire #metoo movement and a beta male Judge to finally convict him and now that the movement imploded on itself when the Female leadership was found to be fucking underage boys (they aren’t arrested btw) all of the outside pressure isn’t there to convict him.

oagboghi2

Surprised to see some people here cheer this on and go as far to bat for Cosby. No doubt you'd be the same people constantly bitching about Hollywood corruption and how they never pay for their crimes.
No, people understand that due process and court procedure actually matters.

The DA went in knowing this deal was made and disregarded it. Not only that, he put up 5 women who weren’t attached to the case at all to make claims that the DA couldn’t prove. It was purely done to prejudice the jury.

The DA fucked up, but please keep simping for Hollywood corruption

Last edited:

YCoCg

It’s irrelevant what people here think about Hollywood. Why did you bring it up?

A sad attempt to make people look like hypocrites?
It's not a good look for the forum when you have people cheering this on and literally jumping to defend his actions. Only a few posters have acknowledged that's he's still guilty of the crime but in this instance he goes free on a technicality. Which side do you fall on?

oagboghi2

Yeah wheres all the "Hollywood is full of woke pedobears" folks at? Oh wait, some are right here in this thread showing a little hypocrisy.

Obviously the prosecutors fucked up the case but you have people actually happy this happened lol. It's kinda weird.
Do you know the meaning of the word hypocrisy?

It's not a good look for the forum when you have people cheering this on and literally jumping to defend his actions. Only a few posters have acknowledged that's he's still guilty of the crime but in this instance he goes free on a technicality. Which side do you fall on?
People are cheering on the fact that the court system works. If you are screwed in court, which he was, you can still find justice.

How did you miss that?

YCoCg

People are cheering on the fact that the court system works. If you are screwed in court, which he was, you can still find justice.

How did you miss that?
And what about the poster defending Cosby and his "consensual knock out drugs"?

oagboghi2

And what about the poster defending Cosby and his "consensual knock out drugs"?
One poster? That’s your silver bullet? Cosby gave a carefully crafted disposition, which was obtained and used in court illegally.

Are we supposed to be happy a DA used illegal evidence and prejudiced a jury?

oagboghi2

Of course not, but also let's not ecstatic that Crosby is now free and defend his actions because it owns the libs or makes era cry.
“Won’t someone think of era’s feeling”

So you attached your lib persona to this, and now you are crying, and pretending “people” (not one poster) are saying something they aren’t? Gotcha

Well, back in the real world…

Last edited:
Top Bottom