• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big open world rpg/adventure games with very short main quests.

What games with big worlds come to mind that after playing you realised the main quest is incredibly short?

I have recently finished ghost of Tsushima and while I enjoyed the side shit, the main quest consisted of 3 missions then one big one to finish chapter 1.
Chapter 2 was similar followed by a very on rails story shit.
Chapter 3 was even shorter. Maybe 1 or 2 then the final assault.

The game is great btw.

I know you’re supposed to pad the game out yourself with side story’s and quest but i bet there’s plenty of people who just follow the main marker and will be like, is that it?

Fallout 4 vanilla is another. I’m close to the end but the time it takes you to get t the institute is pathetic - the game barely even encourages you to explore. This game is garbage.

So gaf any more You can think of?

harmny

Banned
i would say all of bethesda games have short main quests.

you say fallout 4 but i think fallout 3 or skyrim are even shorter if you just do the main quests

and of course as the comment above. cyberpunk's main quest is short too

Last edited:
Cyberpunk 2077?

I mean you can easily finish the main story in 12-15 hours without even rushing through it.

I started playing that but realised the all the story choices and open branching stuff was a con so I stopped. Will wait for all the updates.

i would say all of bethesda games have short main quests.

you say fallout 4 but i think fallout 3 or skyrim are even shorter if you just do the main quests

and of course as the comment above. cyberpunk's main quest is short too
Yeah fallout 3 you get told to go fetch something from a vault, get kidnapped and the game is virtually
Over.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Daggerfall.

If you focus on the main quest only, it's really short.
Otherwise, there's content for thousands hours.

Last edited:
Pretty much any Elder Scrolls or Fallout game. If you play these and just follow waypoints the whole time it's sort of your own fault. The best way to play a Bethesda game is to just turn them off and use landmarks, maps or the stuff you read in the world to figure out your path. My first time playing Fallout 3 I was 40 hours in by the time I stumbled across Megaton.

There are a lot of games you can whiz through by ignoring the side quests, but they don't feel too long even after dozens of hours of doing side quests. Alternately there are some really short games padded with busy work, filler and backtracking nonsense out there that end up taking more than 20 hours and feel about 10 hours too long.

Majmun

BOTW; go straight to the castle

Everything else is basically side stuff. It'll be hard, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom