• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big DECK, finally taking handhelds out of the GHETTO

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Traditionally there have been very few genuinely great games on handhelds. There are a lot of games that are good enough. But true greatness. Few and far between. There is almost always a better game to be played on console or pc. The only reason to play the game on the handheld, is because its handheld.
lol what?

Let's look at the GBA for example. It had Castlevania, , F-Zero, Wario Land, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Final Fight, Doom, Golden Sun, Street Fighter, etc. all during launch year!!
The reason to play those is because they are good, great even. Those games being on a handheld is just the icing of the cake.

sunnysideup

Banned
I think I disagree.

For a handheld to really take off in terms of units sold etc what is needed is bespoke software that suits the platform.

I already see too many people make comparisons to current gen consoles and high end PCs.
So if you want to play the best version of a game then this isn't it.

This is the "trick" that Nintendo does. They have several high profile games that are only available on their platform.
For the everyday person who can't be bothered with emulation etc there is only one way to play Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.
I'm not going to play Witcher 3 on Switch. If I wanted to play Breath of the Wild though then I need to own a Switch.

The other thing is that Switch is in many ways marketed as a toy. Even for adults it's marketed as a quirky, stress relieving, playful experience (basically still a toy).

If someone is serious about playing big budget games in the best possible way then offering them a small screen with those big chunky controllers and saying "so you can clear bandit camps when others are watching TV" is not going to work very well.

Nintendo's secret seems to be a balance between marketing, exclusive games and walking a tightrope between casual players and Gamers.

Well that is the revolutionary part. You dont have to play the game on a shitty low spec handheld because the game is locked on that system.

With the DECK you can play almost whatever game you want at home on your fat 3080rtx equipped pc on a big lg oled. And if its sunny and nice outside and you just want to chill in your hammock you can continue on your game save on your deck.

No compromises. well some. minor ones...

sunnysideup

Banned
lol what?

Let's look at the GBA for example. It had Castlevania, , F-Zero, Wario Land, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Final Fight, Doom, Golden Sun, Street Fighter, etc. all during launch year!!
The reason to play those is because they are good, great even. Those games being on a handheld is just the icing of the cake.
If i made a top 1000 list. Non of the games would make it.

99Luffy

Banned
It has potential but it will be niche because it’s being sold as a niche product. This won’t have its own section at Walmart and bestbuy and I bet there’s zero advertising for it on tv.

pc gamers who’d rather play their games with worse settings than their desktop isn’t gonna be a big market.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I kinda agree. I tried to go through the library of GBA, but all o find was gutted snes games. But DS onwards it was decent enough for me.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have owned almost every handheld in existence. Almost all of them ended up collecting dust after a while. I thought it was because i did not like the form factor. The small screen, often lesser controls. In the past that might have been so, but not today with switch, vita. I actually like lying in bed, or my hammock playing games. I have come to the conclusion it is the actual games that are the problem. The handheld games.

historically games on handheld systems can be summed up in a few categories.

*Time wasters, games made to be played in short burst, waiting on the bus. I never had a use for this. And i guess mobiles have taken this segment.

*Quirky weird games. Games with made for a weird controls schemes and what not. These used to be big on handhelds. But it think the appeal is lessened somewhat when there are so many games of these sort developed by indies and on mobile. I liked it as a novelty. These days there are so many games of this sort, i rather just go for quality.

* Compromised console/pc ports. I can play these, but i refuse to buy a severely compromised, lesser version of a game for 40, 50 euros. Especially if i own it on an other proper platform.

* Traditional games made bespoke for handheld systems, like god of war games, super mario 3d land. These games are often good. And worth playing. But at the same time, i rather be playing the games made for console/pc they are often made by better teams, bigger budgets etc.

Traditionally there have been very few genuinely great games on handhelds. There are a lot of games that are good enough. But true greatness. Few and far between. There is almost always a better game to be played on console or pc. The only reason to play the game on the handheld, is because its handheld.

Enter the switch which started this console/handheld hybrid. I thought this would change things. Botw was great. Probably the greatest handheld game ever made. But ultimately, the switch just ended up being your typical nintendo system. While i understand the appeal as a parent. As a gamer it does not offer a lot, and suffers the same issues all handhelds do. Nintendo games are often polished, but more of the same that i have played 100 times before. I dont need to play another mario kart game.

Generally speaking i don't have a lot of time for games. When i do i want to play the games i want to play, and not because they are on a handheld.

The steam deck solves all of this. It has an infinite steam library. I can play the games i want to play, i don't have to compromise on game quality. I only have to buy the game i want to play once on steam, and choose how i want to play it. I can start to play a game on my htpc with a big screen, and then i can continue to play with my deck in my bed. I can do the monotonous boring parts of a game like taking out bandit camps when others are watching tv.

Same games, quick resume and cloud saves changes everything in the handheld space. Steam deck and its successors are going to finally take the handheld out of the ghetto.

I think people underestimate the massive appeal here.
I think the biggest draw of Steam Deck is that it brings the world of PC gamers to people who don't have a PC, mainly console gamers. Now, more than ever, it just makes sense to go with a Console + PC combo for your setup, even if your PC is a handheld.

sunnysideup

Banned
Btw even if the deck isnt powerful enough to do an adequate job all of the time.

There will be a sequel, copy cat that will, within a year or two.

This is the future for handheld gaming. No more hand held games.

Same games on all systems.

Yeah, even John who’s a big handheld supporter started talking about PSVita as an example that people don’t actually want to play stationary games on a handheld.

The difference here is that PSVita, PSP, even Switch, got separate handheld versions, often made with a lower budget, instead of the stationary games people wanted.

With Steam Deck you don’t need to rebuy a game just to play it portable, you don’t have to start over a game you’ve already played 100 hours stationary, and the games aren’t made with a lower budget. It’s literally the same games you already own and play on PC, you just get another device to play them on. It’s Play Anywhere, for real.

ON POINT!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If i made a top 1000 list. Non of the games would make it.
An amazing Castlevania, the best Wario Land and Advance Wars (which is fantastic) not in a top 1000 list?
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Something to try on Steam Deck perhaps. Order of Ecclesia is highly underrated as well, one of the best metroidvanias in general.
Yes, Dawn of Sorrow too. Just a fantastic franchise. I can't wait to play oldies on the Deck. Pixelart games tend to look fantastic on smaller screens.

The steam deck solves all of this. It has an infinite steam library. I can play the games i want to play, i don't have to compromise on game quality. I only have to buy the game i want to play once on steam, and choose how i want to play it. I can start to play a game on my htpc with a big scree on, and then i can continue to play with my deck in my bed. I can do the monotonous boring parts of a game like taking out bandit camps when others are watching tv.

Same games, quick resume and cloud saves changes everything in the handheld space. Steam deck and its successors are going to finally take the handheld out of the ghetto.

I think people underestimate the massive appeal here.
Are you sure about that? I think you grossly overstimate its capabilities.

Rat Rage

The steam deck is gonna be a major success. There is such a huge market of PC gamers, who've spent over thousand dollars on their graphics cards, who can't wait to finally play their entire steam library in 800p in bed.

Top Bottom