• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Console to keep for fighting games?

Fighting Games: Which console should I keep and turn into a fighting setup?

• PS4

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Build a PC

Votes: 26 33.8%

• Total voters

MrMephistoX

So I have two fight sticks that I hardly use in my living room but now that I have a PS5 and SEX I’m thinking to set up a monitor and the sticks on a desk and make it into a dedicated Arcade setup.

I could keep both but I’d need to buy another fight stick or fuck it and build a PC.

PS4 Exclusives:
SFV
KOF14
Blazblue
Guilty Gear

Xbox Pros:
Killer Instinct
VF5
Soul Caliber 2

PC:
Fightcade

But to run KI I’d need a beefier hardware setup and I don’t know if Virtua Fighter emulation is decent without good hardware.

PS4 => More players
PC => Best performance and graphics (plus fightcade)
Xbox => This one doesn't have some of the best fighting games (No SFV, no Guilty Gear, Granblue, etc)

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Xbox UNDOUBTDELY you have Virtua Fighter 5, Double Dragon Neon, Killer Instinct, Soul Calibur, Streets of Rage 4 (granted that is on PS4 as well) Guardian Heroes, Fight Night,

Don't go PC if you plan to play onlne. Console games have shit multiplayer communities on PC and fighting games are the worse. Maybe Tekken 7 is ok. You will be one of those poor saps that begs for crossplay with console when every new fighting game comes out. All the old ones are dead online or have very small communities. I would go with PS5 if you can. If it's just for old games, then I guess PS4 is ok. Xbox if you like old games.

the_master

I am a console man. Love playing on consoles but what you are describinc screams "emulator pc"

Build an arcade cabinet with a PC and launchbox or attract mode.

Once you are there, put some other arcade games besides fighting games as well.

molasar

Banned
Xbox UNDOUBTDELY you have Virtua Fighter 5, Double Dragon Neon, Killer Instinct, Soul Calibur, Streets of Rage 4 (granted that is on PS4 as well) Guardian Heroes, Fight Night,

Is not an arcade version of VF5 avialable in one of Yakzua games on PS4/PC?

Warablo

If you like input lag, you're gonna love Sony. Even some of the top fighting game players wish it kept the tourny's on Xbox or Sony fixed their shit.

Last edited:

Griffon

PC is where it's at.

You've got every game new and old, console exclusives too (SFV, KI). Input lag is much muuuch better, it supports all kinds of controllers, and, most of all, playing online is free forever.

Last edited:

Garnox

PS has always been my go to for fighting games. The controller is better for command inputs IMO.

Although I feel PC has better sales for fighting games, so using a PS controller on PC is a great alternative if you already have a good rig.

Pimpbaa

Neither if you're getting a PS5 since it plays all PS4 games.

Guilty Gear XRD/Strive.
BlazBlue.
Granblue Fantasy Versus.
Street Fighter 5.
Tekken 7.
Under Night In Birth.
KOFXIV.
DoA5LR/6.
Soul Calibur 6.
Samurai Shodown.

This plus the fighting games the PS5 eventually will get will have near cartridge level loading times for matches (and what I assume are significant decreases in load times on PS4 fighting games).

PS4 I feel would be my first choice. It also has the largest player base/community for fighting games to my knowledge and a large amount of fighting games on par with PC. I also think it has the best controller for fighting games.

PC has a good amount as well that will be the best looking and performing versions, but the player base/community is probably considerably smaller than PS4. If you play fighters online often, that could make a difference.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Is not an arcade version of VF5 avialable in one of Yakzua games on PS4/PC?
Even so nothing beats being able to play VF5 straight out of the box so to speak.....was a missed opportunity they should have included Virtua Fighter 3 instead, to this day a Dreamcast Exclusive..

MrMephistoX

Fuck it kept em both this is awesome! Stand up arcade.
7CeyZhm.jpg

petran79

Banned
For older fighting games, PC, no contest.

SNK and Arcsys officially added rollback netcode to kof2002um (possibly to kof98um later as well) and guilty gear accent core r+ and those games are unlikely to be ported to new consoles because companies want to promote their newer installment instead. Even Melty Blood has cccaster for rollback.

Also Discord and Steam guarantee a steady player base without the need to pay for online.

MrMephistoX

PC has both KI and SFV and emulators. And I think maybe VF5 via emulation.

Yeah settling for MacBook with fightcade for now I already own both the consoles and not like selling them $150 for each is going to get me a PC that performs better than my PS5 so I’m happy with the setup for now: just got an HDMI switcher so it’s pretty seamless on my work standing desk setup.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I chose PS4 by accident (Guess the mouse didn't register my click) But build a PC and experience the power and low temps in all its glory.

And then grab KOF13 Steam Edition because reasons

PS5 if you want the biggest online community and most games, PC if money is no object, Xbox if you really have to play Killer Instinct.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say Ps4 but barring like 4 games most of em are also available on PC.

I would say ps5, Xbox, then pc.
PS5 will have a bigger player base until cross play is made a standard.
Xbox has K.I..
Pc has better performance if you can afford it. However Pc seems to get shafted alot by smaller player base and lack of support for Pc from the developers, like patches rolling out on time or even happening.

SNG32

I was PS4 for fighters but I made the shift to PC. PC can literally play almost every single fighting game. You get to play all the PS4 and Xbox one fighting games and If you have a decent rig you can run Virtua fighter 5, persona arena and a bunch of other fighters that weren’t released through RPCS3. Plus with other emulators you can access a lot of fighters. Also Shaolin vs Wutang 2 is only for PC and that’s an awesome fighting game.

But if Online is a big factor then a PS5 or PS4.

I was PS4 for fighters but I made the shift to PC. PC can literally play almost every single fighting game. You get to play all the PS4 and Xbox one fighting games and If you have a decent rig you can run Virtua fighter 5, persona arena and a bunch of other fighters that weren’t released through RPCS3. Plus with other emulators you can access a lot of fighters. Also Shaolin vs Wutang 2 is only for PC and that’s an awesome fighting game.

But if Online is a big factor then a PS5 or PS4.
isnt online a big factor in fighting games?, I mean unless your just playing against A.I or combo practising.

Top Bottom