• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Softworks is truly a powerhouse in gaming and Arkane is just another reason why

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wolfenstein 2 : The New Colossus is one of the greatest shooter campaigns ever made. That alone proves this isn't true.

You are also ignoring Doom, which is at the most popular its been in decades. Bethesda now being part of Xbox and Microsoft significantly raises the number of people who have eyes on and are willing to support and play their games. Redfall genuinely has a lot more hype because of the Bethesda purchase.
I get where you're coming from just for me personally there hasn't been a lot of games that I've been climbing for from their studios outside of mainly elder scrolls titles.

That's not negating the fact that not all the games are bad it's just maybe they are lacking in the mass market appeal.

It goes along the lines of wanting to see the consistency and quality and also the games reach the audience. At the end of the day the user base will make a determination as of now.

Different from purchases, I bought more games from them than I have from any of the other big free. That may change with some of the more PlayStation 5 titles but I've been predominantly Microsoft games on PC and even picked up if you third party games on the series s

MiguelItUp

I've played Deathloop. I'm hovering around 8/10 so far.
This is honestly where I was thinking it'd land.

Between the performance issues on PC and the AI being pretty lame overall, I'm genuinely shocked and surprised by the "perfect scores" that exist. But hey, another example of why scores shouldn't be held on such a high pedestal.

I'll definitely check it out soon enough, Arkane does make fun experiences!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is honestly where I was thinking it'd land.

Between the performance issues on PC and the AI being pretty lame overall, I'm genuinely shocked and surprised by the "perfect scores" that exist. But hey, another example of why scores shouldn't be held on such a high pedestal.

I'll definitely check it out soon enough, Arkane does make fun experiences!
For me this is just one of a few games that are like this. Like Returnal, you are trying to piece together this story of why this woman is intent on killing you over and over but at the same time, somewhat guides you through your missions. It's really intriguing and nothing makes sense at first. It's the discovery that'll really keep me playing.

The AI in the game is oddly realistic IMO. I won't say where I was to avoid spoilers, but there was a building where I could hack two turrets just inside the door way. I did so and then placed the turrets both facing the door. I then went and shot one of 6 or 7 enemies grouped up outside in hopes it would lure the other into dumbly going through the doorway to get shot by the turrets I set up. The lasers from the Turrets' cameras are visible to me and I would assume visible to the enemy. So even though I blatantly headshot somebody right next to the enemy, they would only flirt with coming inside to get me. They would move close to the door, but then would back off. It could be because they are dumb...or it could be because they realize there are lasers pointed at the hallway where they would come in.

I'm leaning on the side that they are smart because in other instances, I've alerted the enemy and without me having set up a trap prior to the engagement, the enemies were pretty aggressive. You also can get insight on the enemies mental state by tagging them. Some enemies think today is gonna be a normal day. Others are already on edge, waiting for something to happen. I think this dictates how they react when an intruder is detected in some way.

I get where you're coming from just for me personally there hasn't been a lot of games that I've been climbing for from their studios outside of mainly elder scrolls titles.

That's not negating the fact that not all the games are bad it's just maybe they are lacking in the mass market appeal.

It goes along the lines of wanting to see the consistency and quality and also the games reach the audience. At the end of the day the user base will make a determination as of now.

Different from purchases, I bought more games from them than I have from any of the other big free. That may change with some of the more PlayStation 5 titles but I've been predominantly Microsoft games on PC and even picked up if you third party games on the series s

This is fair. I'll be honest. I missed some of their gems because I really truly only focused on the biggest of their releases, such as Elder Scrolls, Fallout. But had I properly paid attention from the start it would have been obvious Bethesda was a publisher that's been delivering quite a few other hits.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why would a MS first party game be offered on a competitors service as a perk? Makes zero sense. If Sony was the publisher, I may believe there was a chance. But that's not the case.
Maybe the same reason it is launching as console exclusive on PS5. For all we know part of the contract could include its eventual inclusion as a PS+ game in X months. We simply don't know, but it is a possibility.

Boss Mog

PS fanboys here acting like they have anything else to play besides what MS & Bethesda kindly offer them lol.

Just be happy you’re even getting this game at all and it’s one of the best rated games of the year.

Otherwise you wouldn’t turn on your PS5 until Feb 2022.
Pure mental illness.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Machine Game is better when they're at the top of their game. I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed a single Arkane game.

Arcadialane

Eh not feeling this at all. Technically it's a bit of a mess so far, and the gameplay loop(no pun intended) is wearing thing already. Truly baffles me how this could be considered a masterpiece 10/10. I guess I could get how some find it cool, but a masterpiece?

Marty-McFly

Banned
Powerhouse is a big exaggeration.

Another thing you need to consider, is that the game NEEDS TO SELL, which we will see.

I like dishonored and i preordered deathloop, but i think arcane games dont sell alot
Bethesda also has franchises that sell A LOT.

I mean, I'm surprised at how down on them so many people are considering other AAA devs EA/Ubi/Activition.

I think outside of Rockstar, they are easily the best big Western publisher. And Rockstar barely puts out any games so you could even rank them ahead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom