• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Essentially Absorbs Human Head Studios, Forms "Roundhouse Studios"

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Amid the sudden closure of Human Head Studios, the team's former devs have joined a new Bethesda development team, Roundhouse Studios. Bethesda Softworks had once tried to buyout the studio in a hostile takeover upon seeing their great work with Prey 2, even refusing to pay the developers, leading to them going on strike, and the game ultimately being cancelled. With Bethesda finally owning the team they so fiercely sought, maybe, just maybe, that game I've been fucking waiting for for eight years may finally, finally be completed, and released.

The team is best known for their work on Prey and Rune, with a sequel to the latter being published soon by Epic Games, and as well for their work on the horrifically received The Quiet Man.
Prey is to this day known by myself many literally everyone as "the world's greatest FPS." Even if the "Prey" name is under claim by Arkane, the team at Human Head can just retitle the game "Exodus," and still release it as a sequel to the original real Prey.

You can read more here, on IBTimes.

GUYS I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM THAT MAYBE I'LL FUCKING GET PREY 2 HOLY SHIT
you have NO IDEA how excited I've been for that game holy fucking hell
I truly believe that when I play it, it will be my favorite game. Not even Cyberpunk 2077 looks like it could fill that hole in my heart. Holy fucking shit. I'll pre-order it twice, I'll buy any deluxe edition there is, boy do I want my Prey 2.

If you aren't familiar with the title, or if you need a reminder, here's a look at the still-mind-blowing gameplay of Prey 2

Last edited:
Missed opportunity. They should have called it Road House Studios.

lCzVjQ0.jpg

wipeout364

They just released Rune 2 like yesterday on epic game store. Glad I held off buying till this is all sorted out.
I loved that Prey 2 demo but I find it really hard to believe that it was real. Seemed very Anthem like, in that it was what they wanted to portray the game as rather than what it was. Seemed too good if you know what I mean.
I like Bethesda games so hopefully this ends up being a positive for both parties, although it seemed like there was an awful lot of bad blood there.

Y'know, whenever my life gets me so down, I know I can go down to where the music and the fun never ends.

I mean as long as that music keeps playing, you know what I'm saying? I know that I can find a friend...down at the Roundhouse.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
They just released Rune 2 like yesterday on epic game store. Glad I held off buying till this is all sorted out.
I loved that Prey 2 demo but I find it really hard to believe that it was real. Seemed very Anthem like, in that it was what they wanted to portray the game as rather than what it was. Seemed too good if you know what I mean.
I like Bethesda games so hopefully this ends up being a positive for both parties, although it seemed like there was an awful lot of bad blood there.
There's actually a number of videos of that same Prey 2 vertical slice, with the player taking different routes to complete the objective. They were at least capable of making that amazing piece of the game, and we've got maps + many screenshots of the game's other areas--surely the polish and sheer awesomeness of this slice could've been replicated across those areas!

Honestly, Rune 2's gameplay hasn't impressed me at all. Not even bummed it's on Epic lmao
ty for reviving my insta-dead thread. Shows me for posting at 1am.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Was a beautiful cyberpunk concept. Felt better after learning 2077 was coming but it'd be great to have this game as well.

I bought Rune II. Not a great game, really a shadow of what part one was. Tried to take interesting crafting mechanics but really failed to make the game fun.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I bought Rune II. Not a great game, really a shadow of what part one was. Tried to take interesting crafting mechanics but really failed to make the game fun.
Which aspects would you consider a downgrade from the first game?
One disappointing aspect of the gameplay teasers was that it looked like, compared to the first Rune, all the sequel was offering was a facelift. And not much of one, really.

There is an actual gameplay video o
of prey 2 around. You should check it out

Pretty scummy move on behalf of Bethesda. An EA tactic for years, give devs money to make a game, send the game out to die, buy company at low low price because devs have no other choice. Company doen't performs as expected, off to the pit they go.

Which aspects would you consider a downgrade from the first game?
One disappointing aspect of the gameplay teasers was that it looked like, compared to the first Rune, all the sequel was offering was a facelift. And not much of one, really.

I thought there were some great exploration elements in part one. It feels more linear here. The combat is pretty much the same but, it was pretty simple in part one.

Dane

So basically they crawled back to the very thing it attempted to fuck them in the first place.

Not only that, but appears that Rune II doesn't live in the quality of the first game.

Top Bottom