• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best year of the Generation

What was the best year of the generation?

Votes: 6 3.1%

Votes: 39 19.9%

Votes: 8 4.1%

Votes: 71 36.2%

Votes: 29 14.8%

Votes: 4 2.0%

Votes: 39 19.9%

• Total voters

.Pennywise

Banned
PT (Silent Hill) - Destiny - Titanfall - Bayonetta 2 - Dark Souls II - Dragon Age: Inquisition - Far Cry 4 - Alien Isolation - Divinity Original Sin - The Evil Within - The Banner Saga - Diablo III Reaper of Souls - Assassin's Creed Unity - Broken Age - Child of Light - Borderlands the Pre-Sequel - Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - South Park: The Stick of Truth - The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - more...

Fallout 4 - Bloodborne - Batman: Arkham Knight - The Witcher 3 - Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Evolve - Dying Light - Dragon Ball Xenoverse - Dirt Rally - Cities Skylines - Battlefield: Hardline - Axion Verge - Mortal Kombat X - more...

Firewatch - Titanfall 2 - Final Fantasy XV - Dark Souls III - Dishonored 2 - DOOM - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Battlefield 1 - Uncharted 4 - Far Cry Primal - Inside - Adr1ft - Abzu - Civilization VI - The Banner Saga 2 - The Last Guardian - Overwatch - Dead by Daylight- more...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Destiny 2 - Cuphead - Horizon: Zero Dawn - Super Mario Odyssey - Resident Evil 7 - Assassin's Creed Origins - Nier Automata - PUBG - Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Prey - The Evil Within 2 - Nioh - For Honor - Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus - Crash n'Sane Trilogy - Sonic Mania - Hellblade - more...

God of War - Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Into the Breach - Spider-Man - Celeste - Dragon Ball FighterZ - Hitman 2 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Far Cry 5 - Gris - Frostpunk - Detroit Become Human - Battlefield V - Return of the Obra Dinn - A Way Out - Battletech - more...

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice - Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Death Stranding - Control - Resident Evil 2 - The Outer Worlds - Devil May Cry V - Apex Legends - Jedi Fallen Order - Mortal Kombat 11 - Gears 5 - Outer Wilds - Disco Elysium - A Plague Tale Innocence - Borderlands 3 - CTR Nitro Fueled - Metro Exodus - more...

Half-Life: Alyx - Animal Crossing New Horizons - The Last of Us II - DOOM Eternal - Cyberpunk 2077 - Final Fantasy VII Remake - Ghost of Tsushima - Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Fall Guys - Tony Hawk 1+2 - Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Spider-Man Miles Morales - Nioh 2 - MS Flight Simulator - Crash Bandicoot 4 - Streets of Rage 4 - Dreams - Resident Evil 3 - Star Wars Squadrons - Wasteland 3 - Gears Tactics - Demon's Souls - more...

Last edited:

SinDelta

2017 was absolute insanity with Breath of the Wild alone. I've seen the runner ups for GotY for 2017 like Yakuza 0, Nier Automatia, Hollow Knight and Divinity Original Sin 2 at times called solid qualifiers for Game of the Generation or at the very least masterpieces that would easily earn GotY in other years.

2019 is the other year that really stood out. Also missing Ace Combat 7.

2020 is missing 13 Sentinals. In a gaming sense it actually has been a really solid year.

Last edited:

Hugare

2015 was dope, but I'll have to go with 2020

FF VII R, TLOU 2, GoT, Ori, Demons Souls, Cyberpunk

Any of these would be GOTY in many of the past years, and we had them on the same year

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
PT (Silent Hill) - Destiny - Titanfall - Bayonetta 2 - Dark Souls II - Dragon Age: Inquisition - Far Cry 4 - Alien Isolation - Divinity Original Sin - The Evil Within - The Banner Saga - Diablo III Reaper of Souls - Assassin's Creed Unity - Broken Age - Child of Light - Borderlands the Pre-Sequel - Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - South Park: The Stick of Truth - The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - more...

Fallout 4 - Bloodborne - Batman: Arkham Knight - The Witcher 3 - Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Evolve - Dying Light - Dragon Ball Xenoverse - Dirt Rally - Cities Skylines - Battlefield: Hardline - Axion Verge - Mortal Kombat X - more...

Firewatch - Titanfall 2 - Final Fantasy XV - Dark Souls III - Dishonored 2 - DOOM - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Battlefield 1 - Uncharted 4 - Far Cry Primal - Inside - Adr1ft - Abzu - Civilization VI - The Banner Saga 2 - The Last Guardian - Overwatch - Dead by Daylight- more...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Destiny 2 - Cuphead - Horizon: Zero Dawn - Super Mario Odyssey - Resident Evil 7 - Assassin's Creed Origins - Nier Automata - PUBG - Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Prey - The Evil Within 2 - Nioh - For Honor - Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus - Crash n'Sane Trilogy - Sonic Mania - Hellblade - more...

God of War - Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Into the Breach - Spider-Man - Celeste - Dragon Ball FighterZ - Hitman 2 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Far Cry 5 - Gris - Frostpunk - Detroit Become Human - Battlefield V - Return of the Obra Dinn - A Way Out - Battletech - more...

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice - Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Death Stranding - Control - Resident Evil 2 - The Outer Worlds - Devil May Cry V - Apex Legends - Jedi Fallen Order - Mortal Kombat 11 - Gears 5 - Outer Wilds - Disco Elysium - A Plague Tale Innocence - Borderlands 3 - CTR Nitro Fueled - Metro Exodus - more...

Half-Life: Alyx - Animal Crossing New Horizons - The Last of Us II - DOOM Eternal - Cyberpunk 2077 - Final Fantasy VII Remake - Ghost of Tsushima - Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Fall Guys - Tony Hawk 1+2 - Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Spider-Man Miles Morales - Nioh 2 - MS Flight Simulator - Crash Bandicoot 4 - Streets of Rage 4 - Dreams - Resident Evil 3 - Star Wars Squadrons - Wasteland 3 - Gears Tactics - Demon's Souls - more...
2017 for Gravity Rush 2

Rickyiez

You didn't include Persona 5 in 2017 (worldwide release)

Nier Automata, P5, HZD, RE7, EW2, BOTW. Indeed one hell of a year.

But I'm still choosing 2015 for Bloodborne :messenger_kissing_smiling:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think 2018 and 2020 are probably tied for me. Gow, RDR2 in one year was easily the hardest goty decision for me. Spiderman, detroit were fantastic goty calibur titles too.

FF7, TLOU2, GoT, Cyberpunk, Demon souls and Miles all launching in one year is pretty nuts. Warzone is pretty phenomenal as well.

2015 was no slouch. mgsv, witcher 3 and bloodborne. rise of tomb raider was excellent too.

2019 was great as well. sekiro, re2, death stranding, days gone, jedi fallen order and control all in one year is pretty nuts.

But i think it will come down to gow/rdr2/spiderman vs tlou2/ff7/cybperunk and i think 2018 takes it.

2015 by a mile. Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 in one year, nuff said.
Both of those were amazing, but the rest of the year was slim pickings. 2017 or 2020 take my vote, just due to the sheer quantity of great games. 2016 is a dark horse in my mind though. I loved Titanfall 2, Dark Souls III, Dishonored 2, DOOM, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I also really enjoyed Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, and dead by daylight.

teezzy

Banned
2015 was one of my favorite years in gaming ever.

Witcher 3, Ori and Blind Forest, Dying Light, Fallout 4, Star Wars: Battlefront, Until Dawn, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Mortal Kombat X, MGS V, Just Cause 3, Undertale, Life is Strange, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Also the year Tekken 7 hit arcades in Japan fwiw

2015, easily. Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 🙂

2020 is very strong too though with TLOU2 and Cyberpunk..

But this list really reminds me of how disappointing this generation has been to me. Very few classics

Last edited:
2017 for quality. 2020 for quantity.

2014 in hindsight was pretty good. At the time it didn't seem so. But Destiny & TitanFall were kinda great eventually. And Shadow of Mordor. And nobody played bayonetta 2, but it was apparently top tier.

im sure 2015 will get lots of votes due to overrated bloodborne and witcher 3 luv, when Mortal Kombat X is probably the best game on that list.

I think 2018 and 2020 are probably tied for me. Gow, RDR2 in one year was easily the hardest goty decision for me. Spiderman, detroit were fantastic goty calibur titles too.

FF7, TLOU2, GoT, Cyberpunk, Demon souls and Miles all launching in one year is pretty nuts. Warzone is pretty phenomenal as well.

2015 was no slouch. mgsv, witcher 3 and bloodborne. rise of tomb raider was excellent too.

2019 was great as well. sekiro, re2, death stranding, days gone, jedi fallen order and control all in one year is pretty nuts.

But i think it will come down to gow/rdr2/spiderman vs tlou2/ff7/cybperunk and i think 2018 takes it.

i think 2020 wins it on sheer quantity alone, but 2018 wins overall quality for me with GOW being my game of the gen

the latter half of this gen was on fire though

still waiting to play Cyberpunk but when it gets patched that may make it count as a 2021 game lol

Last edited:

Josemayuste

All of 'em.

tenor.gif

i voted 2017. Because BOTW might be the best videogame of all time. And Super Mario Odyssey was too good.

but i better stop looking at that list. Because i will want to change my vote when i remember how much i hated PUBG and Destiny 2 at launch

Moonjt9

2017 was absolutely bonkers in the amount of great games that came out. I mean come on new Zelda and new Mario not to mention so many others. Crazy year.

GrayChild

Gold Member
Apart from 2014 and 2018 (which were just 'very good'), I don't think there's a single year which hasn't been absolutely amazing in terms of quality titles.

A HUGE step up from the PS3/X360 drought imo.

But if I have to choose... 2017 or 2019 would win.

EDIT: Voted 2019. It may not be the most popular opinion, but that year gave us:

- RE2
- A Plague Tale: Innocence
- Control
- Metro: Exodus
- Sekiro
- Death Stranding
- Pathologic 2
- Devil May Cry V

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
1. 2017 - BOTW, Mario, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Persona 5 (outside Japan), Destiny 2, Cuphead, Hellblade
2. 2020 - Animal Crossing, Persona 5 Royal (outside Japan), Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator, Doom Eternal
3. 2015 - Bloodborne and Witcher 3

Last edited:

TimFL

2018 by a long shot. The year my favorite game of all time came out (RDR2) and a dream came true with a proper Spidey title... coupled with games I loved like God of War and Detroit Become Human.

I fear we wont have another one of these blockbuster years for a long time. Until the next R* title I guess.

Top Bottom