• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best written scenes/dialogues in gaming

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
I know a lot of us don't play games for good dialogue or cutscenes, but it's very much appreciated when the writers go the extra mile. I was inspired to make the antithesis of this thread:

Most recently, Ghost of Tsushima comes to mind when I think of fairly consistent, good, no-bullshit writing (I loved all interactions with Kenji and Sensei Ishikawa in particular). While the writing throughout the game was decent to very good, the final showdown between Jin Sakai and Khotun Khan absolutely knocked it out of the park. The entire game, Khotun Khan talks about preserving his legacy... only for Jin to surgically remove any of trace of Khotun from history. That's some poetic justice right there:

The final duel between Jin and Lord Shimura is even better in my opinion. Such a beautiful scene:

Unironically, I also enjoyed some of the over-the-top dialogue in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Specifically, most of the cutscenes involving Sundowner or Senator Armstrong. The first monologue that Sundowner delivers is pretty big standout for me:

So what are some cutscenes or dialogue snippets that give you goosebumps?

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The argument in the barn house in TLOU with Joel and Ellie. The dialogue and delivery takes what wouldn't really be anything special in other narratives and turns it into a super poignant scene.

Also, the party learning about Aerith's origins from Elmyra in FFVIIR. So much good in this scene. Barret rushing in establishes his care for Marlene. Elmyra scolding him for being loud illustrates that she's at home in the role of maternal figure, and also places Marlene in a sort of "stand in for Aerith," position. When she starts telling her story about finding Ifalna and Aerith, she says the line "She's not my daughter. Not by blood," and the camera work lingers over to Barret, establishing a connection between his relationship to Marlene counter to Elmyra and Aerith. It does a good job of giving Barret a reason to CARE about the rescue past feeling obligated for Marlene's safety. And finally, the music. The way the horns kick in in the instrumental of Aerith's Theme right as Elmyra gets to the part of her story where she receives the letter informing her that her husband was killed in action. Such a good scene.

EDIT: Also Ezio Auditore's speech in Assassin's Creed II during the Bonfire of the Vanities. Nice display of all the things he's learned as a character throughout the game, and a pretty cool moment in his character arc for the first game in his trilogy.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I know a lot of us don't play games for good dialogue or cutscenes, but it's very much appreciated when the writers go the extra mile. I was inspired to make the antithesis of this thread:

Most recently, Ghost of Tsushima comes to mind when I think of fairly consistent good, no-bullshit writing (I loved all interactions with Kenji and Sensei Ishikawa in particular). While the writing throughout the game was decent to very good, the final showdown between Jin Sakai and Khotun Khan absolutely knocked it out of the park. The entire game, Khotun Khan talks about preserving his legacy... only for Jin to surgically remove any of trace of Khotun from history. That's some poetic justice right there:

The final duel between Jin and Lord Shimura is even better in my opinion. Such a beautiful scene:

Hell yeah. Ghost of Tsushima was fantastic on that front.

A lot of the scenes in Red Dead Redemption 2 come to mind. It feels like a real Western movie. But Arthur's farewell talk with Sister Calderon is the best.

The Witcher 3 also has some great scenes. Particularly the scene where Geralt finds Ciri on the Isle of Mists. No dialogue, but you know everything that's being said through action and the way the scene is directed.

And in the Hearts of Stone expansion, Geralt's conversations with Gaunter O'Dinn are all well written and performed.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
A lot of the scenes in Red Dead Redemption 2 come to mind. It feels like a real Western movie. But Arthur's farewell talk with Sister Calderon is the best.

That scene is great. RDR2 isn't for everyone, but I think it's fantastically written. I also really enjoy most dialogues with Agent Milton.
And in the Hearts of Stone expansion, Geralt's conversations with Gaunter O'Dinn are all well written and performed.

I had forgotten about that scene! GoD is honestly my favorite character out of base game + DLCs. Every interaction with him is wild.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Metro Exodus has lots of well written dialogue. Maybe too much at times. But if you can be bothered standing around whilst npcs talk most of the time what they have to say is quite interesting. The scenes that progress the main story are superb though.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
FF12, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre.
220px-TacticsTKOL.jpg

A lot of witcher 3 writing was way above and beyond the AAA action hero games.
But I will go with another Arthur Morgan classic, the stranger quest with the lady who lost her husband in the middle of nowhere in chapter 5. Arthur helped her along to survive, hunting, shooting and build back an abandon cabin in the woods bit by bit with every visit. It was THE moment for me when Arthur turned towards redemption because you can tell by his delivery he is trying to be good after all the outlaw shit he did.
When Marston came by later and saw the garden blossoming around the cabin I legit cried. What a fucking incredible moment that only open world games can do.

I have to mention the Ratchet and Clank series, each entry is great but i think it was at it's best in Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal and Deadlocked.

"Oh Lance you make me feel like a young boy again!......... Say what?"

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

"Apparently so, but suppose you throw a coin enough times... suppose one day, it lands on its edge "

I’m torn. I want the series to be remade, but the VA cast isn’t around to do it anymore. Some of the games are too old to just get a standard remaster though, and Soul Reaver had a ton of cut content.

Either way, that series not being finished is such a shame.

I’m torn. I want the series to be remade, but the VA cast isn’t around to do it anymore. Some of the games are too old to just get a standard remaster though, and Soul Reaver had a ton of cut content.

Either way, that series not being finished is such a shame.
I'll take Defiance's open ending over whatever horrible shit modern Crystal Dynamics might do to it.

It can be remastered in the same style as Crash N.Sane Trilogy aka just a modern face lift but i doubt Square Enix is interested and i feel their patience is running short with CD.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'll take Defiance's open ending over whatever horrible shit modern Crystal Dynamics might do to it.

It can be remastered in the same style as Crash N.Sane Trilogy aka just a modern face lift but i doubt Square Enix is interested and i feel their patience is running short with CD.
Very true, Crash and Spyro were branded as Remasters because they remained true to the source. If they, or anyone, did that to the series I’d buy it twice.

Time to start a GAF Remaster company and approach Squenix

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The argument in the barn house in TLOU with Joel and Ellie. The dialogue and delivery takes what wouldn't really be anything special in other narratives and turns it into a super poignant scene.

Also, the party learning about Aerith's origins from Elmyra in FFVIIR. So much good in this scene. Barret rushing in establishes his care for Marlene. Elmyra scolding him for being loud illustrates that she's at home in the role of maternal figure, and also places Marlene in a sort of "stand in for Aerith," position. When she starts telling her story about finding Ifalna and Aerith, she says the line "She's not my daughter. Not by blood," and the camera work lingers over to Barret, establishing a connection between his relationship to Marlene counter to Elmyra and Aerith. It does a good job of giving Barret a reason to CARE about the rescue past feeling obligated for Marlene's safety. And finally, the music. The way the horns kick in in the instrumental of Aerith's Theme right as Elmyra gets to the part of her story where she receives the letter informing her that her husband was killed in action. Such a good scene.

EDIT: Also Ezio Auditore's speech in Assassin's Creed II during the Bonfire of the Vanities. Nice display of all the things he's learned as a character throughout the game, and a pretty cool moment in his character arc for the first game in his trilogy.
Wow I was about to say the same thing. I really felt that scene when Joel and Ellie were arguing and when Joel decided not to leave Ellie with Tommy and his wife

brian0057

Banned

"Apparently so, but suppose you throw a coin enough times... suppose one day, it lands on its edge "

Man, literally any dialog scene from Soul Reaver is superb.
Amy Hennig peaked with the Legacy of Kain series.
Everything it's just downhill from there after.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate the term "writing"... what the fuck does it even mean. There is more to movie, game etc than just the quality of spoken dialogue. And it's incredibly subjective what is well or badly written.
But as we talk for quality scenes. There are way to many to show but first that comes to my mind:

-The Darkness... this is my fav hidden gem. Many scenes in this one. Obviously spoilers.
Some time spent with Jenny. I just love the atmosphere and the fact You can watch this whole(fantastic) movie:

The ending. Especially after lighthouse on the bench:

There are many more, the ww1 stuff, the lighthouse massacre. I just like this game ok ?!

I love Gears trilogy. Many good moments. But Dom scene from gow3. I know it's super cringe but after playing all 3 games, it really hits:

Like most of Death Stranding :p Ending as an example. So memorable. So good MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

Most of The Last Guardian... Not to post the ending, so Trico First Flight. The perfect emotional music introduction, omg PLAY THIS GAME PEOPLE:

WHOOOOOO:

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
There are so many, which is why I love this medium.

Just last year - definitely Ghost of Tsushima final campaign mission. Not to spoil it, it's my new benchmark on how to end a game. Simply EPIC.

But of all PS4 gen TLOU2 birthday present scene takes the cake.

DogofWar

Lots of joke posts in here, come on we can actually praise games once in a while as well!

My favorite dialogue in a game ever probably:

And the thing is, it is nothing but dialogue and very carefully used background music. The voice acting in MGS1 is unmatched, even by the other MGS games.

Man have to replay it soon again... Maybe with the wife this time so she gets to see it too.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Not a dialogue in particular, but playing Gothic 2 in German is one of the best, if not the best and the most authentic and immersive video game experience dialoguewise I remember.

Bartski

Gold Member
Not a dialogue in particular, but playing Gothic 2 in German is one of the best, if not the best and the most authentic and immersive video game experience dialoguewise I remember.
interesting, I could actually say the same thing about playing the Witcher 3 in Polish. It's this medieval dialect full of old-polish archaic terms and expressions, names of creatures that are drawn from folklore, and local fairytales told kids by their grandmas... Never read anything from Sapkowski but I guess it's all true to the books. It gives the game an additional very unique quality and makes all the humor so much funnier, very hard to describe unless you're native to it, but linguistically it's just spot on and greatly elevates the whole experience

Last edited:

tsumake

In terms of written word, Planescape : Torment.

In terms of performance, I’d give a nod to Koudelka. It’s like watching a stage play.

martino

Every scene with grigori in dragon's dogma.

i agree the mostly monologue are great , the rest in the scene is mediocre....
dd2 has a lot room to improve.
do i care ? no , there is something in the atmosphere of this game that really draw me into it.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
The "dance" scene in The Last of Us 2. Because it was shown in pieces over the course of the game you got to see it in totally different perspectives. It was at once an enjoyable escape, a tense and disturbing moment, a sad and regrettable memory, and a hopeful cherished experience. Masterful writing. Screw the haters Druckmann is a genius.

MiguelItUp

Man, Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2 are full of amazingly written scenes. Well acted too. It's why they tugged my heart strings so hard by the end of it all.

I remember God of War having some good ones as well.

Hell, even the Die Hardman scene at the end of Death Stranding is solid as well. Though I think that leans heavier on the acting. Still, really good stuff.

Dunki

The whole ending of Yakuza like a Dragon

To get more into detail. This scene or ending is perfection on every level. It showed not only a lot of heart but also that actions have consequences. And unlike TLOU2 it does it without bad writing in which characters change personalities or tries cheap manipulation to create emotions.

Also it does something I never thought was possible. It made Ichiban the perfect maybe even better replacement for Kiyu. This game would not have worked with a personality like Kiryu. It plays to Ichibans strength of becoming very emotional and it nails it to perfection.

edit: This game deserved best narative but since "critics" do not play games anymore no one went thorugh the whole 50 Hours of such a game. Instead they have chosen a low cost AAA Game which is easy to get through

Last edited:
Top Bottom