• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to play Silent Hill 3 on PC

Doczu

So i just finished SH2: EE and i crave for some more classic survival horror.

Now i do know that part 3 didn't get the love and attention like 2 did, but i saw a few mods and fixes mentioned. However it's not clear to me which is the best or which are cross-compatible. With the Enhanced Edition for SH2 you had at least everything packed in one place and laid out like for idiots.

Anyone replayed the game recently and could help out? Is the fog on PC dialed back like in the previous one? If yes, is there a fix for it?

- gaming on PS2 hardware is out of question due to no crt
- PS2 emulation is a no go - hardware mode has some graphical glitches and software would leave me with 480p on a tv 😐
- no, there is no HD Collection. I don't know what you are talking about.

Silent Hill 3 is the better game. I love part 2, but the amount of circle jerking about the story and sniffing your own farts made me put the game away and not talk about it

Last edited:

Doczu

You can find some very good tips in this old thread:

Yeah i saw that thread, but it was a bit old (at least the fixes for SH3) and i saw a lot of different fixes were available.
I played PC version ~2 years ago with ultrawide fix, it was good

Will try this one. I've installed steam006 fix, which is a bunch of fixes in 1 pack, but the thing doesn't want to work, tells me he can't find an .ini path 😐 ultrawide fix was part of the pack, maybe a standalone will fare better.

Doczu

Here you go,
Thanks for that, but i gave up for now trying to get the game running.
Steam 006 fix kind of worked, booted the game, but while being plugged to my tv the game refuses to play any sound. Intro videos play the music, but once it hits the main menu it just mutes. Any other fixes, widescreen hacks etc give the same result.
For SH2 i had to deactivate every audio out other than my tv, but that doesn't help here.

Doesn't help that the community isn't as strong as with SH2 😔
Man, #FuckKonami for not releasing the game digitally on gog or anything like that. They released 4 (??) but dropped the ball on the rest...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks for that, but i gave up for now trying to get the game running.
Steam 006 fix kind of worked, booted the game, but while being plugged to my tv the game refuses to play any sound. Intro videos play the music, but once it hits the main menu it just mutes. Any other fixes, widescreen hacks etc give the same result.
For SH2 i had to deactivate every audio out other than my tv, but that doesn't help here.

Doesn't help that the community isn't as strong as with SH2 😔
Man, #FuckKonami for not releasing the game digitally on gog or anything like that. They released 4 (??) but dropped the ball on the rest...
Did you run this for SH2?

Doczu

Did you run this for SH2?
I did. And it was fantastic to play the game after around 15 years with upgrades, high res 2D art, fixed bugs, fixed fog, shadows and everything they did. Only issues i had was no rumble on my DS4 and the weird sound bug where i needed to brute force only hdmi out for sound.

And for the third one you get a moddb page with a handfull of stuff and no special care 😔

Last edited:
Top Bottom