• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Movie Gunfights

Heat shootout scene. So raw and gritty that it has yet to be surpassed.

first scene that came to mind. i love how the guns sound. most movies don't do justice to how fucking loud they are. in that Heat scene you can hear the reverberation/echo even in a large open space. most movies make them out to be loud but not loud enough you need to wear hearing protection. they will fuck up your hearing real quick.

I know people shit on equilibrium because they look goofy, but when i was young, it looked cool as a whole fuck.

And bale is just so good in everything i watched with him in it.

For me this still looks way cooler than any dry action scene in john wick (also the difference in acting capability is pretty big between the 2)

I fucking love Equilibrium. Sean Bean, Bale hamming it up, insane fights. Underrated.

8bitpill

Gold Member
ammo.gif

qdxVKt.gif

NinjaBoiX

I know people shit on equilibrium because they look goofy, but when i was young, it looked cool as a whole fuck.

For me this still looks way cooler than any dry action scene in john wick (also the difference in acting capability is pretty big between the 2)

Nah mate, this is cheese on toast, so fucking corny.

John Wick shootouts are 10 times better and cooler than this, and also don’t look anywhere near as laughably stagey.

GymWolf

Nah mate, this is cheese on toast, so fucking corny.

John Wick shootouts are 10 times better and cooler than this, and also don’t look anywhere near as laughably stagey.
Any shooting scene where a single guy take out a small army looks staged as fuck dude, criminals don't just stay there getting shooted like morons...

In the first minute you can literally see them entering a room when they know a killer is killing everyone with their guns down ready to be taken out, utterly ridicolous and super staged.

The fucking guy at 0:33 get super close to him before deciding to shoot instead of fucking him up from distance, i mean, how much staged this need to be to you?!

Both movies have moronic action scenes if you turn on your brain for even a millisecond, equilibrium looks faker because they are doing that gun-kata stuff.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, it’s the gun-kata stuff that looks really lame, him standing at the doorway doing a kung-fu pose with guns is so cringe.

Also, what I mean by stagey is that it all looks so much like striking various poses in Equilibrium, like it’s a photo shoot more than a gun fight.

This is fucking horrible.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
My vote goes to something that isn't conventionally a gun fight, but there's guns involved. For all the vitriol it receives, The Matrix: Reloaded had the freeway chase, which, to my standards, remains one of the best action sequences in cinema. Seventeen minutes-ish and a fucking CUSTOM MADE STRETCH OF ROAD, basically the climax of the film, with an epilogue by The Architect and a sequel hook. This was one of five scenes that absolutely codified "The Matrix sequels," for action enthusiasts. The Burly Brawl, the Chateau Fight, the Freeway Chase, the Zion battle, and the Super Burly Brawl. And I'd maintain, out of those, this remains the best.

After an expertly choreographed multi-man fight scene with weapons, the perspective switches to Trinity and Morpheus pursuing the Keymaker, they themselves pursed by the Twins. Brief chase on foot, into a brief hand to hand fight with switchblades and dimensional phasing sorcery, then onto the highway. This scene works SO well for me because it's constantly upping it's own ante. Getting into vehicles was already a step up from the close quarters in the Chateau, so what happens?

Car to car firefight with uzis. That's getting boring? One of the Twins phases INTO TRINITY'S BACKSEAT. Car interior fight, which I'm pressed to think of more than a handful of examples of in cinema. That gets old? Well now they're being chased by police AND the Twins. Just a police chase? Boring. Well how about the police turn into fucking Agents? Good guys are outmatched now. Better throw Niobe and Ghost into the fray to even the odds. Car shit is getting boring? How about Trinity steals a motorcycle? That's not good enough? How about she drives down the road FACING traffic?

But no, fuck all that, we'll have Morpheus have a one on one battle with a fucking CAR using a katana. How do we top that? Well have him jump on top of an eighteen wheeler and fight an Agent on the highway. Then throw in another eighteen wheeler and have a head on collision, only for Morpheus and the Keymaker to be saved last minute by Neo flying in like a goddamned Marvel chcharacter.

Every moment escalates logically, and this one scene incorporates so many of the character relations and traits. Niobe's stern love for Morpheus, Neo's role as messiah, Trinity's bad bitch biker girl vibe, the police just engaging in a chase with no clue about any of the bigger details because they're all still blue pulled, the Twins pseudo paranormal powers because they're rogue programs, the Agents creaming themselves because a bunch of their targets are all in one place trying to kill each other. Morpheus' unflinching belief in his path, standing to face an Agent and even doing the "come get some," stance, echoing Neo at the end of the first film. So many factions coming together and bouncing off of each other. Controlled chaos. Storytelling through an action sequence. Chef's kiss. Fucking brilliant.

RAÏSanÏa

The shootout scene in Hot Fuzz is a treat.
So many perfect little embellishments. The way the "Fascist!" lady's hair bounces with the kickback of the Nazi smg.
The priest with the concealed revolvers on slides "Fuck off, Grasshopper" to "Jesus Christ!"
Everybody and their mum's packin' round here.

Lanrutcon

Lots of good mentions here.

But Equilibrium makes me sit up and take notice when shit goes down, no matter how many times I rewatch it.

MastaKiiLA

Heat shootout scene. So raw and gritty that it has yet to be surpassed.

As someone who saw this film in the theaters when it came out, I wholeheartedly agree. However, I must give special mention to the Heat doppelganger that is Den of Thieves.

Opens and closes with a bang:

This movie doesn't get enough credit IMO. Many have tried to ape Heat over the years. DoT is hands-down the best attempt to date.

Top Bottom