• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best looking "first levels" or gameplay introductions

Birdo

Banned
Corneria in Star Fox blew me away back in the day. A great introduction to the game.

93c0fa425223210635ebe217e2f1155a.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You forgot to mention that Rules of Nature song playing while you're fighting that Rex just to make one's pee pee hard.
Hell yeah! The OST of that game was glorious.

We need a sequel, or prequel or spin off or whatever.

Fbh

God of War 3 had an incredibly impressive opening back in the day.

Yeah I remember this one time when the Ps4 had just come out walking past some Ps3 and Ps4 demo stations with some friends who are only casually into games. The Ps4 station had some random Killzone Shadow Fall level and the Ps3 ones had the GOW 3 intro and they were all like "wait...why does the Ps3 look kinda better?".

While Killzone was the more technically advanced one, the sheer spectacle of the GOW3 into is on another level:
8afde5d721bbd0e7c8185f542b943dee.gif

Last edited:

This right here, was top notch this generation.

The whole sequence, until the moment you jump out of window and exactly experience the number one thing you wanted to see most and see how amazingly well they nailed that feeling.

Man, it's difficult to top this.

Of course, until you decide to murder the main character's face on the PS5 remaster, that is.

I cant wait to force my self to replay it with the new face, have the new face ruin my experience, get pissed off, shut off the game and never play it again. Which is sad because I've played through the game and the Black Cat DLC twice. The second time with Raimi suit. And it was one of my favorite games of this generation. No in my opinion, it's ruined.

It's literally if Uncharted 5 comes out and Nate looks like Tom Holland. The same exact thing.

lock2k

Banned
I was looking at Sonic 1 and once again remembered how amazing Green Hill looks:

_wallpaper___sonic_the_hedgehog___green_hill_zone_by_jeikeytor_dbfi7ad-pre.jpg

The overall visual design, the color choices, the pattern, the parallax scrolling, the weird plants with their silly animations, everything. I think it's the most iconic looking introduction to a video game. And despite later Sonic games having better graphics, i think this particular level is still the best looking in the series. Later levels don't look that good and it's almost as if the developers spent most of the time making sure the game will grab your attention from the first moment.

Even the 3D/modern versions look great:

Sonic-Generations-Screenshots-8.jpg

And concept art ot it always looks good:

DxZVGfDXcAAnuOz.jpg

Post other games that have the best looking or most iconic introduction levels you can think of.

Great example.

I remember going to a Japanese friend house in the early 90's and coming from the Master System when I saw real Mega Drive Sonic 1 running and you could go pass behind the tree I was fucking amazed at the effects and everything.

For a little context, in Brazil (especially the southeast) we have the second biggest population of Japanese people in the world and everyone had that Japanese friend who had the new stuff from Japan and we were always amazed with their gadgets, consoles and chewing gums lol

wvnative

at the time, the metropolis city level on planet kerwan in Ratchet and clank future tools of destruction was an insane demonstration of the PS3

Lethal01

This right here, was top notch this generation.

The whole sequence, until the moment you jump out of window and exactly experience the number one thing you wanted to see most and see how amazingly well they nailed that feeling.

Man, it's difficult to top this.

Of course, until you decide to murder the main character's face on the PS5 remaster, that is.

So glad they replaced this guys ugly mug in the remaster. Will be great to actually be able to enjoy the story since I'm no longer playing as a goblin.

jaysius

Banned
I really hate a solid opening level when the rest of the game looks nothing like it, it's like they spent all their time on something that everyone will play and then the rest of the game is mediocre or below because they know few will play it, OR they "ran out of time". It makes the experience lopsided, more often than not, late game content NEVER matches the quality of a solid first level.

A solid opening level followed by trash is huge letdown in gaming.

RedVIper

Banned
Not sure what you mean by "best looking", but Prey 2017 had one of the best intros in any game I've played.

nkarafo

Here's another oldie but also iconic:

72455d2369bbd4aae6ad15f85afe3800.png

This is Shadow of the Beast for the Amiga. Now, the game isn't very good. In fact i would say it's pretty bad even for the time. But that first level made everyone lose their minds with the graphics in 1989. It's pretty detailed and has a crazy parallax scrolling effect, coupled with a fine music piece. It was like a demonstration of what the Amiga could do. Heck, the rest of the game doesn't look nearly as good (although, the good looking scene is shown more times later on).

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I can think of Super castlevania 4, Castlevania SOTN prélude, ninja garde Xbox, Super contra 3 lien wars , bayonetta 2,

junguler

Banned
ac black flag for me was perfect, something about a criminal assuming the role of a hero makes me excited, also loved the show banshee for the same exact reason.

Kumomeme

first area of Bloodborne Central Yharnam

it nailed first tone impression of whole game especially the first boss. it get better when you unlock all the shortcut later that can reconect these area.

Last edited:
I really hate a solid opening level when the rest of the game looks nothing like it, it's like they spent all their time on something that everyone will play and then the rest of the game is mediocre or below because they know few will play it, OR they "ran out of time". It makes the experience lopsided, more often than not, late game content NEVER matches the quality of a solid first level.

A solid opening level followed by trash is huge letdown in gaming.
Yeah, MGSV is guilty as charged for this.

Top Bottom