• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Levels in Banjo-Kazooie

Which levels in the game are the best?

• Total voters

Xellos

Gruntilda's Lair and Click-Clock Wood are the stand-outs, but they're all very good. Picking #3 is tough. I guess Clanker's Cavern for how gross and weird it is. First few levels are all bright & friendly, and then boom, giant cyborg fish guts.

Codes 208

Click click wood is most memorable for me due its season-based complexity and absolutely beautiful music that alters depending on the season.

gobi’s desert is also a really satisfying level and Mumbo’s mountain is a perfect starting level. (Though I can see an argument for treasure trove being a better level)

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned

Treasure trove cove for that amazing music, fantastic summer time atmosphere, and snacker the shark. I can still remember vividly playing this level, at the end of a long day in late june. Sun setting, an orange hue coming from the cracked living room windows.

this game, like mario 64 brings me right back to elementary school

nkarafo

Mad Monster had the best looking textures, best level design, the funniest enemies (those laughing ghosts) and the most impressive ones (the painting monsters).

Not sure about the music, though i think the best theme was the Spiral Mountain area and that doesn't really count as a proper level. More like a training area.

I do appreciate Clanker's Cavern more as time goes by though.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

1- mad monster mansion
2 - freezmeezy peak
3 - treasure trove cove

fucking love this game! ive replayed it i dont even know how many times. and it got shat on a lot, but nuts and bolts was fanatstic. ironically a lot of people say Tooie was the best, but i didnt care for that one when i played it

love the freezeezy peak music

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
1. Treasure Trove Cove
2. Mumbo’s Mountain
3. Mad Monster Mansion

Remember when Banjo saved Christmas? For those baby bears at Freezeezy Peak? This is why we need a Banjo-Kazooie monument in every country on the planet. Ideally every city

Diddy X

CCW was probably the best due to the seasons, then Freezeezy peak was a great christmas level, music was so good, and third I'd say MMM but it was a little scary so TTC nice beach level.

They should remake BK before the new entry like they did with Crash, a good idea would be to remake BK and BT into one bigger longer game.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Click Clock Wood receiving a lot of love ITT is surprising. I never thought of it as a great level. Is CCW that great? The only standout part about that map to me was the high altitude trees you could climb up, enter, and the squirrels were cool

GametimeUK

B7b1v35.jpg

I don't know about the best because this level ruined the whole game for me. I was having such a blast until this piece of shit came along and destroyed my life.

To be fair I enjoyed the haunted house mission and the one on the beach. I feel click clock wood level is massively overrated. It's great conceptually, but a vertical based level doesn't gel well with the repetitive nature of the levels concept.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Mumbo’s Mountain - one of the best “level 1’ of any 3D platformer.

Clanker’s Cavern - 10/10 level design. What they managed to squeeze in what is essentially a single room is unparalleled.

Rusty Bucket Bay - frustrating, but incredible. So full of secrets, there’s something around every corner.

Broadly speaking, I much prefer the more compact, less sprawling worlds. It’s easier to keep track of all those collectibles, and the use of space and sub-areas in the level design is on another level. This is why, in my opinion, Tooie and DK64 are much less accomplished games overall (quantity over quality).

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
man banjo kazooie was such a banger in level design.
it was the better 3d platformer compared to mario 64

kinda like diddy kong racing vs mario kart 64

Last edited:

Ikutachi

man banjo kazooie was such a banger in level design.
it was the better 3d platformer compared to mario 64

kinda like diddy kong racing vs mario kart 64
Control-wise, I prefer the Nintendo games. There being more content in either Rare game doesn't make them preferable for me.

nkarafo

Mario 64 had much better controls and physics. IMO it's still the best controlling 3D platform.

Banjo-Kazooie was more floaty and slippery but it's levels looked better and more natural and were more interesting to explore.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For sure, it’s one of my childhood favourites and all that jaz. To be honest, the N64 had a lot of my favourites (small pool of quality games). Even got this ship on Sea of Thieves (didn’t pay cash though, just Reward points) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Banjo Kazooie Pirate GIF by Sea of Thieves

Sweet! Can't remember if I played any but I doubt that.

Mario 64 had much better controls and physics. IMO it's still the best controlling 3D platform.

Banjo-Kazooie was more floaty and slippery but it's levels looked better and more natural and were more interesting to explore.
If by controls you mean the freedom of movement and physics, then yeah Mario 64 is pretty much unbeatable. It’s also more responsive.

On a crt it is pretty much instantaneous to the point where 60fps was not missed.

In terms of just moving through the world with your character and the move set variety, Banjo is more enjoyable.

Two very different games.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
It's been so long that I honestly can't remember...
I need to play through them again sometime. :)

Top Bottom