• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best in the Batman Arkham videogame series?

Best in the Batman Series?

• Total voters

Marty-McFly

Banned
Lemme see.....

- Asylum is arguably the best but the boss battles were terrible and so was the Joker fight

- City is probably the most well rounded overall

- Origins is a dark horse and a surprisingly great game

- Knight is one of the graphically most beautiful games ever created and really solid everywhere but the Batmobile ehhh

SkylineRKR

Its probably City.

But Origins is second. I loved a lot about it, best story (the whole thing with black mask was excellent), best boss battles and best detective scenes. But the game is buggy, generally more so than City was on console. The fact Origins wasn't remastered is a dick move.

The original was good at the time but feels too limited to me. Ofcourse best indoor level design and all that but I prefer the others. Knight is still solid but enough has been said about the vehicle and the awful Arkham Knight whiny bitch.

Mr Hyde

Asylum
Knight
City

Although I think I have to replay City again to see if my feelings have changed. Not s bad game at all, but after Asylum it felt like a step down. The batmobile however was great, don't understand all the hate surrounding it. It was a cool addition that added lot of fun traversal and new gameplay mechanics.

poodaddy

Easily Asylum for me. Just top notch Metroidvania game design there, and that's what I want from pretty much any game.

Regginator

Asylum is the tighter experience, more polished and the Riddler trophies and other secrets are actually fun to search for.
City is a great sequel that introduces other great things, but in all its greatness kinda loses pacing. Also, the Riddler trophies are shit 80% of the time.
Origin is basically a rather uninspired City 1.5 with many rehashed areas, but nonetheless the most fun story in the trilogy.
Knight is by far the most ambitious of them all, the most pretty looking with the most expanded gameplay, but overall significantly behind Asylum and City.

Comes down between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, but the second one edges out the first in my opinion. Gliding through a fully realised Gotham City in all it's crooked beauty is a special thing.

719M5zc+UoL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Also Catwoman.

Catwoman-Arkham-City.jpg

hlu2t.jpg

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Arkham Asylum has the best level design.
Arkham City has the best story.
Arkham Origins has the best bosses.
Arkham Knight has the best gameplay.

Take your pick. I'll go with City the best because that ending was sad af and its probably the only game or at least back then the only game I felt sad/emotional about a fucking villain.

I enjoyed the story of Origins the best and I think if it had come out before City then it would be more praised. The detective sequences of Origins were also better than the clue scanning in the other games. I enjoyed the reconstruction and playback of the crimes he investigated and felt it was never done as well in the other 3 games.

City is the best and one of the most impressive gaming experiences I've ever had, I had just upgraded my PC to a new card that had an HDMI port so I plugged my PC into my HDTV, seeing City with PC graphics on the big screen damn near made me jizz in my pants, I look back with so much fondness on playing that game.

However there's a special magic to Asylum too being the first and also being more focused on fleshing out Arkham Asylum as a setting, but the bigger scale of City can't be denied.

Origins is good too but the reuse of areas from City is lame, Arkham Knight is really underrated but too much time spent blasting things in the Batmobile drags it down and it still didn't quite recapture that "wow" of City.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
  1. Asylum
  2. Knight
  3. Origins
  4. City
City is probably better than Origins, but I really disliked the change to Open world from great level design.

Still kind of pissed there is no direct follow up to Knight.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'd have to replay the games in order to really compare them, but I enjoyed all four :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Knight might get my vote. I like the Batmobile, you can fly really high, and it's real pretty. I dig the larger map too.

Larxia

Knight is my favorite. I never understood the complaints toward the batmobile, I thought it had a good arcade style gameplay, it controlled very well and was fun, and even if you didn't like it, people REALLY exagerrated the amount of forced batmobile in the game, it's maybe like, 1h, 1h30, in a 30 hours game, so yeah...

Arkham Knight had amazing visuals and atmosphere, I liked the larger map, the story was the best in the series for me, I just really liked it as a whole. And it's also much better if you have all the DLCs, the added challenges with all the different playable heroes were amazing, I spent ton of time in these. I also really liked the little episodes of each side character, even if they were short, and I've been wanting since that day a game based around that, multiple heroes from the bat family, so I'm really happy with Gotham Knight coming up.

One thing I really don't like about Arkham Knight though is the ending behind hidden behind a certain % of completion amount, this was stupid to do and many people probably missed the ending because of this. If you have the DLCs you can at least get enough % to see the main ending, so it's not as bad, but the full ending remains locked behind tedious 100% completion.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I went with Knight. The car was a little annoying at the time but I think it was a bold move that, along with the better graphics on the PS4, made it top its predecessor.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Knight is my favorite. I never understood the complaints toward the batmobile, I thought it had a good arcade style gameplay, it controlled very well and was fun, and even if you didn't like it, people REALLY exagerrated the amount of forced batmobile in the game, it's maybe like, 1h, 1h30, in a 30 hours game, so yeah...

Arkham Knight had amazing visuals and atmosphere, I liked the larger map, the story was the best in the series for me, I just really liked it as a whole. And it's also much better if you have all the DLCs, the added challenges with all the different playable heroes were amazing, I spent ton of time in these. I also really liked the little episodes of each side character, even if they were short, and I've been wanting since that day a game based around that, multiple heroes from the bat family, so I'm really happy with Gotham Knight coming up.

One thing I really don't like about Arkham Knight though is the ending behind hidden behind a certain % of completion amount, this was stupid to do and many people probably missed the ending because of this. If you have the DLCs you can at least get enough % to see the main ending, so it's not as bad, but the full ending remains locked behind tedious 100% completion.
The Batmobile seemed awesome at first but boy did those tank combat secitions drag on.

It didn't help that the combat in those areas wasn't great.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I'm partial to Origins, but it's too buggy to top City. Way too many invisible walls when gliding around buildings.

Knight was and is bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

Larxia

The Batmobile seemed awesome at first but boy did those tank combat secitions drag on.

It didn't help that the combat in those areas wasn't great.
I don't know, I get that it was maybe not to the taste of everyone, but to the point of hating the game just because of these sections? I always see people completely trashing arkham knight only because of the batmobile, like if it totally ruined the whole game, and it really seems exaggerated.

Zannegan

For my gaming dollar; the series worked best in the first one, where you were trapped in the madhouse as the inmates took over. Obviously you can't repeat this formula again and again without Batman looking like a total idiot for falling into the trap, but the sense of isolation and fighting against greater odds made turning the tables and becoming the nightmare in the shadows that much more impactful.

Granted, the final boss fight was weak, but otherwise AA ranks up there as one of the best 3D Metroidvanias ever, IMO.

EDIT: To be clear though, I've enjoyed them all.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Asylum is tight, but I gotta confess I had a shit load of fun with Knight when playing it for the first time recently on a beefy PC all settings maxed and ultrawide. The bat mobile/tank is tight as fuck and has some of the most fun traversal in open worlds. The story was action packed and all side quests kind of flows naturally as you explore.

Only downside is the lack of real use of the tools (outside of Ridley puzzles), it felt like most gadgets had not much uses, at least not as Metroidvania and important as they were in Asylum.

Artistic

Only played and completed Asylum. Been sitting on the Return to Asylum collection for a while now.

Also need to find a way to play Origins on Series X.

drotahorror

I'm actually playing through AK right now. I love the batmobile shit. What I find kind of lame is how little combat in general there is. I guess it's just the way I'm playing it. I mean, they got all this open world shit in the game, so naturally I'm going to do some of it.

It's fun and looks great. I beat City back in the day, never beat Asylum. Barely played Origins.

Andodalf

Banned
Lemme see.....

- Asylum is arguably the best but the boss battles were terrible and so was the Joker fight

- City is probably the most well rounded overall

- Origins is a dark horse and a surprisingly great game

- Knight is one of the graphically most beautiful games ever created and really solid everywhere but the Batmobile ehhh
Batmobile fights were fun when you had the upgrades.

racing was terrible though.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Blackgate is the only one I finished so it's the best one for me by default, I guess.

I actually started Asylum for the first time recently. I loved the presentation, the characters and the combat.
But the investigation parts are troubling me. Navigating large 3D environments without a minimap or a waypoint always gives me headaches. Detective mode strains my eyes.

It's in the backlog for now, but I'll return to it. I really want to play all four 3D games.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I don't know, I get that it was maybe not to the taste of everyone, but to the point of hating the game just because of these sections? I always see people completely trashing arkham knight only because of the batmobile, like if it totally ruined the whole game, and it really seems exaggerated.
Whoa, who said anything about hating the game? I thought it was fantastic, but when competition is this fierce something like that could easily drag it down.

I personally thought City was the best overall even though I preferred certain aspects of Asylum. The bosses in Asylum were enough to tip me over in favor of City.

Last edited:

Paasei

Asylum is still my favorite. Confined, tight and therefore tense places to walk around in.

City and Origin are also great games, but they don't beat Asylum for me. They are perfect examples that having more isn't always better.

Knight I enjoyed just fine. The car sections just sucked, and Scarecrow just wasn't cool in this game. From someone easily bested in Asylum, he's now a mastermind.

I wish I could say I'm looking forward to the upcoming one. But without batman, I just don't really care. Looks like a GaaS game in disguise.

Asylum for sure even if the boss fights stink. The exploration, script, laser focus and straight up perfect novelty of its existence make up for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom