• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best headphones for PS5?

Nickolaidas

I read somewhere (or may have seen a YouTube video) that the headphones that Sony sells for the PS5 are *not* the best headphones to enjoy the 3D audio of the console.

Is this true? And if so, which headphones do you think that have amazing quality in enjoying the PS5 sound?

jigglet

Banned
Do headsets need a special chip or software to take advantage of the 3D audio (like Atmos) or is it designed to work with any headset?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Do headsets need a special chip or software to take advantage of the 3D audio (like Atmos) or is it designed to work with any headset?
It works with any headset.

As for the topic, there's actually several other topics that go into more detail and have much more suggestions.

Derktron

Banned
I read somewhere (or may have seen a YouTube video) that the headphones that Sony sells for the PS5 are *not* the best headphones to enjoy the 3D audio of the console.

Is this true? And if so, which headphones do you think that have amazing quality in enjoying the PS5 sound?
Ohh that's simple, get the Sony 3D headsets for PS5. I heard it's really good.

Nickolaidas

Is the PS5 compatible with Bluetooth Headphones?

Ohh that's simple, get the Sony 3D headsets for PS5. I heard it's really good.
I heard they're not as good as other headphones which are sold in the same price, more or less.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Logitech G935 Wireless Gaming Headset.

The Best headset in my opinión and looks futuristic.

I got one.

Last edited:

njean777

I got the PS5 headset and it seems pretty good, I also have a pair of Astro A40's for back up (used all last gen and still work great). Astros are good but a bit pricey, comfortable though I will admit. I just wanted a wireless solution so I picked up the PS5 one and its pretty good, not the best I will say, but good enough.

Nickolaidas

Mic is dog shit, not that I use it much anyway.
The overall sound is better on the X2HRs as well, originally got them for music on my PC but tried them with the PS5 and never used the Pulse 3Ds after.
Do you need some kind of USB bluetooth adapter for the PS5? If yes, is it included in the package of the X2HRs?
EDIT: Oh, they're wired?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony Pulse 3d.
Have it since february.
Fantastic sound quality, ok batter life, Amazing sound separation and 3d. Seriously the 3d I've tried with other headphones through the controller was not this impressive. It's fantastic
No wireless hiss, lag and ps5 system wide UI integration. For sure I will never again get wired headphone. there are no drawbacks to 2.4ghz wireless used in this.
Works on pc plug and play too and I love using it for music. In fact, My old headphones and dac are disconnected.
I only used the MIC when playing bf5 on pc and it works perfectly fine. Teammates hear me fine.
And it looks sick.

Comfort is fantastic too! I don't get hot ears with it, it does not clamp almost at all. It's a nice fit. The only hotspot is the rubber band on top but it takes like 2 hours until I feel it. It's not an issue.
had arctis pro for a test and they sounded worse and were uncomfortable (too small) for me.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
984234b0-689b-46db-867f-10f7717806f0.jpg
Don't these lack AUX?

That's a huge no.

Nickolaidas

Sony Pulse 3d.
Have it since february.
Fantastic sound quality, ok batter life, Amazing sound separation and 3d.
No wireless his, lag and ps5 system wide UI integration. For sure I will never again get wired headphone. there are no drawbacks to 2.4ghz wireless used in this.
Works on pc plug and play too and I love using it for music. In fact, My old headphones and dac are disconnected.
I only used the MIC when playing bf5 on pc and it works perfectly fine. Teammates hear me fine.
And it looks sick.

Comfort is fantastic to! I don't get hot ears with it, it does not clamp almost at all. It's a nice fit. The only hotspot is the rubber band on top but it takes like 2 hours until I feel it. It's not an issue.
had arctis pro for a test and they sounded worse and were uncomfortable (too small) for me.
Hmm ... looks like it's a person-by-person case where comfort is concerned.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hmm ... looks like it's a person-by-person case where comfort is concerned.
as it is with comfort.
I usually disliked over ear headphones. Even all mighty, most comfortable takstar pro 82 with stock or CAL! with brainwavz pads. Always gave me how swamp ears.
Not this. The clamping force is so low, it more reminds me of koss porta pro when it comes to ear clamp.
And You put it on without any fiddling.
R6Rider R6Rider ehh why you need aux?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
That's the issue. You either buy a completely wireless one or one that is wired only. The best option (and only option I buy) is wireless with an option of using AUX. Unless I'm missing something this is the wired pair while the other is wireless only.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It gives me the option to listen to my TV or other devices in other ways. It also allows me to keep using the headphones in the situation where the battery dies.
I thought the same way but since february I never used or even unpacked the 3.5mm cable for sony pulse 3d... But I just use it for pc and ps5

R6Rider

Gold Member
I thought the same way but since february I never used or even unpacked the 3.5mm cable for sony pulse 3d... But I just use it for pc and ps5
Fair enough. Some people may see no use for it and that's okay, but I like having the option (and do use mine all the time).

elliot5

I think the Arctis 7X are the best "budget" all-arounder as it works across PC, Xbox, Switch, and PS whereas the 7P won't work with Xbox. So if you ever plan on picking up a Series X or S later down the road it's best to just get the most compatible one? They all sound the same it's just the 'branding'.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro or 1990 pro as a premium budget option.

I prefer the AKG K-872.

In the end it is all stereo with a fake 3D sound. So the better the overall quality of the stereo headphone the better...

SkylineRKR

I love the Pulse, but the Microsoft headset is superior. Its more comfortable and the volume controls are far, far easier. The buttons on the Pulse, being on the left side, they're awful. After 8 months I still have to search the volume controls.

Xbox also has an equalizer and PS5 not yet (only in Beta I think). You have to buy DTS, I did anyway. Its 10 bucks or so. Its pretty good.

The Pulse is not the best PS5 headset, but what do you expect for 100 bucks? I didn't regret it.

As for AUX, yeah the Pulse has AUX. But it has no bluetooth. Microsoft has bluetooth but no Aux. Unless you go for the cheaper wired version.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OP if you want best, they would be wired.

I am using their baby brother, AKG k550.
wired is a chore. Then You get into amps, dacs... f that noise. I moved from fiio to pulse 3d and wireless has no drawbacks.
It's like getting a wireless mouse in recent years. No issues

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
wired is a chore. Then You get into amps, dacs... f that noise. I moved from fiio to pulse 3d and wireless has no drawbacks.
If you care for soundquality than wired is still the best way. Depending on the transmission wireless still has drawbacks.

Please don't compare a mouse to a speaker.

balt1kr1s

Sennheiser Game One.
Almost indestructible plastic and very very comfortable with velour cans.
Sound quality outstanding.

Need to check latest wireless cans. I am a bit behind.

But connecting hp to controller gives atrocious SQ. Maybe wireless is the culprit here.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you care for soundquality than wired is still the best way. Depending on the transmission wireless still has drawbacks.

Please don't compare a mouse to a speaker.
Yeah but you need to spend way more than 100 if you want to go wired and it be worth a while. Dac, amp too.
I say for about up to 150, Sony pulse 3d offers about the same as best headphones I've tried in that price. Wired or not.
but my fav headphone is koss porta pro so I am crazy :p

vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal
Dualsense got a little more power but I would still avoid connecting anything over 60ohm true. About transmission, there is no hiss or delay though.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have an Arctis SteelSeries 7P and the new Sony Pulse 3D, tried them both with various games testing the 3D audio and the sound in blurays and streaming media. My opinion after using both:

- The overall quality of 3D audio in games is the same on both. Or at least, I can't tell a difference if there is any

- The Arctis can reach much higher volume, but when the new firmware finally drops it's going to have a feature that lets one adjust specific audio settings per device and beta testers are reporting the Pulse 3D can be made much louder with it

- The Arctis supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby DTS:X for blurays

- The Arctis is of clearly superior build quality

- The battery on my Pulse 3D lasts a few hours longer, but my Arctis is a few years old while my Pulse is only like two weeks old. So, yea, could just be predictable decreasing of battery life over time there

Edit: Oh yea, regarding the mic, I haven't heard complaints with either from friends when we're playing together

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

BLACK SHARK V2 PRO is the best headset on the market.

Have worn them for 3 hours at a time and you never even feel them on your head.

Sound quality and 3D audio with the PS5 are phenomenal.

Top Bottom