• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best control/feel in a platforming game?

I don't get around to as many indie platformers as I'd like so I'll just say Super Meat Boy. The way his meaty ass slides along a wall feels oh so right.

Enzo88

2d: super mario world/super meat boy
3d: super mario 64/odyssey

I like crash, but people picking it are drunk out of their mind.
They had to add a circle under your feet to "fix" the fact that you can hardly guess where are you landing and it still does not work perfectly.

Kuramu

Celeste and SM64
So many said Ori. I'm playing Ori now and my initial impression was that it's too floaty. I'm adjusting though and it's starting to click. Perhaps i'll agree once I finish

mcjmetroid

Celeste and SM64
So many said Ori. I'm playing Ori now and my initial impression was that it's too floaty. I'm adjusting though and it's starting to click. Perhaps i'll agree once I finish
Once you start getting some upgrades you will change your kind and the sequel I think handles better.

HE1NZ

Banned
LividYearlyIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

The classic TR games will always be my favorite 3D platformers.
There's nothing worse than platforming with tank controls. These games are barely playable these days.

sublimit

Banned
There's nothing worse than platforming with tank controls. These games are barely playable these days.
On the contrary there are still very well playable and the platforming is still as rewarding as ever. The grid system was a genious idea and was what made Tomb Raider what it was. Proove of that is how active the community of the Tomb Raider Level Editor still is today 20 years after Core Design released it to the public.

I don't think any modern 3D platformer will be as enjoyable as classic TR still is 20 years from now.

gypsygib

Don't play many platformers these days but I loved the feel of Ori.

For some reason I loved how Bonk played on the TG16 too. It was my favorite platformer for a while.

Magog.

Banned
Not exactly the point of this thread but it's kinda crazy that Playstation 5 launched with 2 mascot platformers (Sackboy and Astrobot) when the genre was deemed irrelevant for some time.

Does Ratchet and Clank count as a platformer these days? If so they have my vote.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
How can anyone say NOT 2D Mario? That’s insanity. Insanity.

Megaman from 3 onwards feels perfect in its platforming sections (2 and especially 1 are a bit slippery).

Yoshi’s Island’s responsiveness is fantastic.

Larxia

ReCore was fantastic for this.
It's not used to its full potential because it's not all about platforming, but when you do play some of the harder platform dungeons... It's really amazing and actually the platforming gameplay I enjoyed the most.

People who didn't play the game probably won't get what happens with the mechanics, but basically you have a double jump (with the second jump being available at any time while you are still in the air), and one dash when you are in the air. But you can also start your dash from a platform and then double jump and do another dash, because if the first one was started on the ground, it doesn't cout in the amount of air tricks you can do. The blue flying gates let you reload your dash once.

Last edited:
2D - Ori and Rayman Legends are both insanely easy to play and hard to master fully. You never feel like the controls let you down, just your own abilities to execute.

3D - Take your pick of any Mario really.

FPS 3D - DOOM 2016, Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends. Fluid and flowing controls with maps built to deliver within those sandboxes.

dcx4610

To this date, I don't think there is a tighter controlling game than Ninja Gaiden on the NES. It's so fast, precise and perfect. It almost feels rhythmic. Why there hasn't been a Ninja Gaiden 4 or remake in 2D is beyond me.

For modern games, Shovel Knight is one of my favorites. Excellent controls and if you mess up, it's your fault. I'm currently playing Iconoclasts and while the story isn't doing anything for me and there's waaaaaay too much dialogue, the controls are fantastic. The shooting mechanic is really engaging.

Last edited:
I love tight controls, no floaty B.S.

As was mentioned above:
  • Shinobi 3 -- That game has the most satisfying controls
But also:
  • Super Shinobi
  • Mega Man 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Castlevania SOTN
  • Axiom Verge
  • The Monster World games (all of them)
  • Ghould n' Ghost
  • Strider
  • Cave Story (a bit floaty, but still satisfying)

Ballthyrm

My vote goes to Rayman Legends, its super fluid and responsive at the same time. It's feel organic when most 2D control feel too rigid and robotic.

original.jpg

Then Celeste / Towerfall would take 2nd place very close to the podium for me.

Ori is just too damn hard to read what's going on even if the controls feel great.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Enjoyed the feeling of how much control of Mario’s speed played a role in the player’s success during each level. Mario at full sprint, letting off the button and he slows down, the way it felt when he could stop on a dime and turn the other way. Movement in Super Mario Bros. 3 feels like it’s at the perfect settings. Jumping onto enemies felt best in SMB3 as well. It requires some precision and excellent timing to navigate past all obstacles and enemies; through the levels

Super Mario 64 - Perfection. Not only in the feel of the controls overall, but every other category I can think of

Super Mario 64 is the unrivaled GOAT of platformers. This game is so rich in its challenges and overall presentation, that it feels like an epic adventure with an actual in-depth story somehow by the time the credits begin to roll. Star for star, they were all fun to earn in their own way. Each star felt like a mini-adventure of its own

PooBone

2D
donkey-kong-country-snes-box-art-hi-res.png
3D
1293424495-00.jpg

This one's probably not gonna get much mention. The game's not perfect but the platforming is muah! *chef's kiss*

Last edited:

ShadowDurza

Neo Member
I shall have 3 for just 3D:

1: Super Mario Odyssey (with skill you can clear pretty much any hurdle)

2: A Hat In Time (Most kinetic 3D platformer I've ever played)

3: Sonic GT (A fan game that does 3D Sonic better than any 3D Sonic game.

On the contrary there are still very well playable and the platforming is still as rewarding as ever. The grid system was a genious idea and was what made Tomb Raider what it was. Proove of that is how active the community of the Tomb Raider Level Editor still is today 20 years after Core Design released it to the public.

I don't think any modern 3D platformer will be as enjoyable as classic TR still is 20 years from now.

giphy.gif

Playing Mario 64 or any of the 3D Mario games back-to-back with the old Tomb Raider games is like comparing a modern Traxxas RC car to a Boy Scouts Derby car.

sublimit

Banned
giphy.gif

Playing Mario 64 or any of the 3D Mario games back-to-back with the old Tomb Raider games is like comparing a modern Traxxas RC car to a Boy Scouts Derby car.
Completely different games. I'm not even sure why are you comparing them. Mario 64 was great for kids but classic Tomb Raider had a much more intelligent gameplay and satisfying control system.

I'm currently replaying Tomb Raider 3 and it's still a masterpiece.

What do you guys think are the best feeling or controlling platforming games?

Maybe do one for 2D and one for 3D.
This isn't necessarily a question of " Which is the best platformer ever"

Let me explain the difference. I love Donkey Kong tropical Freeze but I would say controls and feeling wise it's not the best of it's genre. It's designed to feel heavy and that's cool cause it's donkey Kong but I enjoy platforming games that are fast and light feeling.

Also I dislike the feel of any 2D Yoshi games.

Or any of the Rare N64 platformers (conker feels the best though)

My 2D choices are:
Celeste:
Feels amazing. I could do without the 8bit graphics but still it feels great to play and very satisfying when you hit a complicated jump.

Ori and the will of the wisps:
Cheating a bit here as it's not a platformer but still it controls like no other, extremely fun to zip around the map once you've powered up fully.

Sonic Rush adventure ( on the DS):
The original 2D sonic games I prefer overall and mania just missed out here but I cannot deny how much fun it is to boost around a colourful map using the Rush mechanics.
It's one of those games I lose myself to.

Super Mario world GBA:
I could be misremembering here. I love the original SNES one as well and it's better in almost every way BUT the feel is a little tighter in the Advance 2 version in my ooinion.
I can not stand the movement in the NEW super mario games.

Donkey Kong Country 2:
This game when you pick Diddy Kong feels amazing. It's so fast and fun. Again I love Tropical Freeze and also enjoy the platforming but the edge goes to the 2nd game.

3D choices:

Super Mario Sunshine:
I think all 3D mario games are quality here but the edge to me goes to Sunshine. Although not my favourite 3D game I think this game controls like a dream. Mario has so many moves and animations it's staggering. Years later I think figure out new moves like the rope spin and jump. Playing this with a GameCube controller is a must though.

Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy(Only the 60fps pc version)
I was very hard on this game when it was released. I loved the originals but found the NSane trilogy for the PS4 to have wonkier controls than the original and I found a lot of people felt the same.

I'm not sure whether it clicked with me better the second time or whether the 60fps mode made all the difference but it plays soooo much better on the PC. Get that version if you can.

Now this game isn't perfect. The jetski Coco missions from crash 3 are worse than the original but for the general platforming. This is one of the best I've played for a linear platforming game.
Definitely Mario Sunshine for 3d, and New Super Mario Bros. Ds for 2d games

Can't beat the Grandmaster

Spokker

Klonoa Door to Phantomville on PS1 had a good tight feel. I'd say somewhat tactile feel, that you felt like you are in control at all times.
I belatedly second this. One of my favorite games of all time.

2D I think the Messenger is one of the most fun feeling platformers in awhile. The cloud jump following attacks plays like a dream.

I was pleasantly surprised by this game. Coincidentally, the hit something then jump mechanic reminded me of Klonoa's advanced stages.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I dont know, the hundreds of side scrollers/ platformers I have played all did what they supposed to do. its almost asking what has best left trigger/ right trigger or for those really playing, left click/ right click.

Top Bottom