• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best control/feel in a platforming game?

mcjmetroid

What do you guys think are the best feeling or controlling platforming games?

Maybe do one for 2D and one for 3D.
This isn't necessarily a question of " Which is the best platformer ever"

Let me explain the difference. I love Donkey Kong tropical Freeze but I would say controls and feeling wise it's not the best of it's genre. It's designed to feel heavy and that's cool cause it's donkey Kong but I enjoy platforming games that are fast and light feeling.

Also I dislike the feel of any 2D Yoshi games.

Or any of the Rare N64 platformers (conker feels the best though)

My 2D choices are:
Celeste:
Feels amazing. I could do without the 8bit graphics but still it feels great to play and very satisfying when you hit a complicated jump.

Ori and the will of the wisps:
Cheating a bit here as it's not a platformer but still it controls like no other, extremely fun to zip around the map once you've powered up fully.

Sonic Rush adventure ( on the DS):
The original 2D sonic games I prefer overall and mania just missed out here but I cannot deny how much fun it is to boost around a colourful map using the Rush mechanics.
It's one of those games I lose myself to.

Super Mario world GBA:
I could be misremembering here. I love the original SNES one as well and it's better in almost every way BUT the feel is a little tighter in the Advance 2 version in my ooinion.
I can not stand the movement in the NEW super mario games.

Donkey Kong Country 2:
This game when you pick Diddy Kong feels amazing. It's so fast and fun. Again I love Tropical Freeze and also enjoy the platforming but the edge goes to the 2nd game.

3D choices:

Super Mario Sunshine:
I think all 3D mario games are quality here but the edge to me goes to Sunshine. Although not my favourite 3D game I think this game controls like a dream. Mario has so many moves and animations it's staggering. Years later I think figure out new moves like the rope spin and jump. Playing this with a GameCube controller is a must though.

Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy(Only the 60fps pc version)
I was very hard on this game when it was released. I loved the originals but found the NSane trilogy for the PS4 to have wonkier controls than the original and I found a lot of people felt the same.

I'm not sure whether it clicked with me better the second time or whether the 60fps mode made all the difference but it plays soooo much better on the PC. Get that version if you can.

Now this game isn't perfect. The jetski Coco missions from crash 3 are worse than the original but for the general platforming. This is one of the best I've played for a linear platforming game.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

N sane trilogy? Not to be an ass but it don't even control as good as the PS1 games

2d: Rayman legends

3d: Mario Odyssey
Good choices.

And on NSane. I think in 60fps on the PC version it does control as well.

Or maybe it just clicked with me better. Either way I had a great time for it the second time on more powerful hardware.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
2D for me is probably Super Meat Boy for sheer tightness, though plenty are close: modern Rayman and Donkey Kong games come to mind.

3D is Crash Bandicoot, I like Mario plenty, but Crash is tighter. Yes, even the remakes.

Mr Hyde

Ori is very fluid so I agree on that. Mario-games are very competent in the control-department, feels so great jumping around in there collecting stars.

wvnative

Good choices.

And on NSane. I think in 60fps on the PC version it does control as well.

Or maybe it just clicked with me better. Either way I had a great time for it the second time on more powerful hardware.

Can't try the PC version only PS4 for me. Would love to have my mind changed but its imo the worst remake i ever played. Which sucks cause i liked the art style, visuals and audio. If 60 FPS does help they should patch it on PS5

mcjmetroid

Can't try the PC version only PS4 for me. Would love to have my mind changed but its imo the worst remake i ever played. Which sucks cause i liked the art style, visuals and audio. If 60 FPS does help they should patch it on PS5
Worst I've played is new and tasty the oddworld one.

I have more or less the same complaints you had for NSane with that game. Haaated it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
some of my favs are Flinthook, Super Mario Bros 3 (NES version), N++, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and Rocketknight Adventure. I think they pretty much nailed "acceptable" platforming by the early 90s, when even midrange licensed games had decent platforming physics/mechanics. Everything beyond that is preference, IMO. For instance, some people love the momentum of your movement in Donkey Kong Country games but I hate it.

Ogbert

Ori and the Will o the wisps feels incredible to play. So that gets my 2D vote.

And Mario Odyssey for 3D. Game has flaws, but the moment to moment movement of Mario is perfect.

EDIT: Want to second that Guacamelee doesn't get nearly enough praise. Game is so much fun to play and the blending of platforming with combat is expertly handled.

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
Should I give another chance to Crash Bandicoot?
I've tried the gamea few times and it felt very simplistic to me (Trilogy). It doesn't seem like the 4th one changed the formula that much, did it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
220px-Shinobi_III_-_Return_of_the_Ninja_Master_Coverart.png

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Came to say Celeste and Ori.

I remember Strider 2013 feeling great to control. Underrated game no one talks about. Just lacked a bigger budget

Last edited:

showernota

2D I think the Messenger is one of the most fun feeling platformers in awhile. The cloud jump following attacks plays like a dream.

3D I'll go with Sunshine as well, it just feels good.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For 3D my Favourite control is Mario Odyssey and thanks to hat mechanics you can get even more distance in your jump.

Crash Bandicoot NSane Trilogy(Only the 60fps pc version)
I was very hard on this game when it was released. I loved the originals but found the NSane trilogy for the PS4 to have wonkier controls than the original and I found a lot of people felt the same.

I'm not sure whether it clicked with me better the second time or whether the 60fps mode made all the difference but it plays soooo much better on the PC. Get that version if you can.

Couldn’t agree more with this.

The Crash & Spyro Trilogies feeling leagues better to play on PC (due mostly to 60fps) was one of my main motivators for splurging on a powerful rig.

Beyond worth it.

Naked Lunch

Super Mario World (Snes) for 2d.
I prefer it over the slippy momentum based controls of Mario 1 and 3 - even though those are great too.

Mario 64 (N64) for 3d.
Crazy to think that Mario 64 is still the gold standard - being it was essentially the first to do it.

Im not sure why the core Mario 64 mechanics have been dumbed down so much over the years. The feeling of being in control of every slight movement of your walk/run speed and all the crazy skill based jumps still sets it apart from all other games. Im replaying Mario 64 (on the original N64) now for the first time since the late 90s and its still incredible - i might even appreciate and like it more today than i did then. Im amazed how much skill Mario 64 takes to play well and how little hand holding there is.

nkarafo

2D: Sonic games on the Mega Drive. Very fast response and the best physics in any platform game.

3D: Super Mario 64. This still hasn't been beaten. Tons of acrobatics and freedom of movement. Any other Mario game after it feels restricted.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Super Mario 3D World, DKC 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3, Yoshi's Wooly World, and maybe The Messenger for me.
I don't care if you don't consider The Messenger a platformer, cuz I do, and it's a good un.

lyan

Monster World IV
Words can't explain it well, the controls very tight yet the feel of momentum is still there.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ori for 2D games for sure, Celeste second place.

Banjo-Kazooie undisputed for 3D games. A Hat in Time is tight as well.

I love the 3D Mario games but I don’t feel they control particularly well, but they aren’t bad by any means.

2D: Sonic 3 and Knuckles
The physics never get old to me, it still feels nimble and fresh to play after all this time!

3D: Super Mario Sunshine
Loooooove all the tricks you can do in this game! Something about how Mario moves in this game in particular feels so responsive, so precise!

MetalRain

I think N++ (and previous N titles) quite nail it. It has depth (momentum, sliding, walljumps etc.) and levels really challenge you, but once you get it, you can learn from your mistakes and eventually do insane things.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Sonic 3 & Knuckles on MegaDrive. Awesome physics, a real pleasure to master, and still true to this day.
Quite surprised by all the answers that include Sonic 3 & Knuckles !

Donkey Kong Country was also great fun, really liked the controls and feel of the game. I suppose that both sequels are the same.

In terms of 3D, the first Tomb Raider would be my pick. Level-design was fantastic as well. Also love Burning Rangers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom