• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Car Combat of PS1/N64 Era?

Best Car Combat game of PS1/N64 Era.

• Twisted Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twisted Metal 4

• Twisted Metal: Small Brawl

• Star Wars: Demolition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What do you think? I keep going back and forth between Twisted Metal 2, Vigilante 8 and Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012, but that's all based entirely on nostalgia and I have no clue as to how well any of them hold up to this day.

I'm sure some fair arguments could be made for other games like Destruction Derby1/2 that kind of straddle the line or ones that are more racing focused like RE-Volt or Beatle Adventure Racing or Wipeout, but I consider those more as racers than "car combat."

I'm sure there are games I'm not thinking of as well and if possible I'll add to the list. What do you think STILL holds up to this day?

Some music to help you make the right choice:

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
At lunch I argued with all my friends TM3 was better than TM2 because I got tricked into buying TM3.

I got Vigilant 8 soon after but didn't care for it as much as TM3.

Last edited:
I voted Vigilante 8. Imho it had much better maps and gameplay than Twisted Metal. It looked way better, too. I remember every map had at least one big hazard, for example a snow map with an avalanche, and a secret military base map with nukes.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I liked Twisted Metal! (And destruction derby 1 and 2)
I really debated adding Destruction Derby 1&2 but it seemed like it didn't quite belong. Awesome games though.

At lunch I argued with all my friends TM3 was better than TM2 because I got tricked into buying TM3.

I really enjoyed TM3 at the time, I even loved that Rob Zombie soundtrack at the time. Though, your friends were right, TM2 was better.

I enjoyed TM3, I think it got a bad rap. It had some pretty solid maps and good graphics. It had some bad writing and some people hated the more “realistic” controls 989 implemented.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I voted Vigilante 8. Imho it had much better maps and gameplay than Twisted Metal. It looked way better, too. I remember every map had at least one big hazard, for example a snow map with an avalanche, and a secret military base map with nukes.
I remember you could get in the ski lifts on the snow maps to move across the level. And I also remember there being a sweet UFO vehicle you could unlock after beating the game that had reduced gravity so it could kind of "float/glide" across the map. What an awesome game.

Gp1

I'll go with Twisted metal 2 because it was a better game at its time.

But Twisted Metal 3 gameplay is more fluid, fun and way better than TW2. With the "special moves" command you can override the weapons cooldown and combo the shit out of the weapons.

Also... No love for Interstate 76?

Last edited:
No Monster Truck Madness or Road Rash 64?

tenor.gif

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Also... No love for Interstate 76?
I really felt like there was a game I wanted to add and I just couldn't quite place what it was and this is exactly it. I really liked Interstate 76 too. Hell, I might even be confusing Interstate 76 and Rogue Trip in my memory tbh. Good catch. Maybe a mod can add it to the poll as I can't do it.

Mod of War Mod of War Think you could give a hand when you get a moment?

No Monster Truck Madness or Road Rash 64?

tenor.gif
I kind of mention a few games in the o.p. like Destruction Derby that don't really fall into the admittedly arbitrary dumb-ass requirements I made up for the discussion and I love Road Rash quite a bit, but it fits more into the racing category than straight up car combat.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Of that era, I would say Twisted Metal 2 and V8 are the best ones.
The following generation had Twisted Metal Black and RoadKill, which for me, are the best vehicular combat games of all time.

Not really car combat, per se, but Demolition Racer was pretty damn good, specifically the Dreamcast port.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Does Driver count?
Think it kinda falls more into the racing category. There's no set rules I guess, I just kind of think car combat in the sense of a car that you can shoot guns from with the whole intention of a quasi arena style deathmatch.

Got a soft spot for the Dreamcast version of Star Wars: Demolition, played that a lot back in the day. If we talking just PS1/N64 then it would likely be the Twisted Metal games, but it's a tough choice given there were several awesome games in the genre then

Carmageddon for me. I liked what little I played of Twisted Metal, but I always preferred the direct hull-to-hull combat (with the occasional powerup) of Carmageddon, Destruction Derby, and later Burnout and Flatout, to driving around shooting at things until they broke.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd say Vigilante 8. Never got into the genre much but I remember enjoying it more than Twisted Metal.

Overall I think the bulk of those games have aged like cheese.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The Battletanx games on the N64 were pretty good, didn't control the best but they were very atmospheric.
Huh, never seen these before. The sequel looks pretty sweet on the N64 (not so much on the PS1). Like 3rd person Mass Destruction. Sure fits in that "Most impressive 3D-Games for the N64" thread with all that action, good draw distance, fps, and solid polygons.

But I guess if tanks count then all kinds of military vehicle/mech/whatever games would count too...

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

Twisted Metal 2 all the way. My father and I played that game almost everyday for 2 years when we got it in November of 96 at a Target in Cupertino. We put so many hours into it that we were basically speedrunning it co-op style. Great memories.

small_law

Twisted Metal 2. I go back to it every once in awhile and I'm surprised at how janky it is versus my memory of it, but it was better than the first game and the best of the series on PS1. I don't remember hating Twisted Metal 3 as much as everyone else did at the time either.

I hate to break the poll, but skip past all this stuff and play Twisted Metal Black to experience the pinnacle of the genre.

TheMan

Is there really a contest? TM2 is basically where the genre peaked in terms of popularity I would say.

I still remember asking my Dad to buy this for me. He rarely bought presents himself and usually left that to my Mom, but this time he came home with that shit and it was dope. No idea where the disc is now :/

Huh, never seen these before. The sequel looks pretty sweet on the N64 (not so much on the PS1).

Yeah, battle tanx was pretty damn fun, never got a chance to play 2.

I think the second one is definitely better than the first one. It has a nice multiplayer mode, that shit was fun even with bots. The destruction was impressive for the time and the vehicles were varied. It's definitely smoother than the first one.

Top Bottom