• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best, Average, and Worst Console launch lineups

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, the best was Super Nintendo. Worst was Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Wii. Vast majority are average though. Up until this generation, the closest I have purchased a console to launch was PS4 in May 2014.

This generation though surpassed that with Xbox Series X on January 4th and PlayStation 5 on February 14th.

For this past launch, outside of Miles Morales, PlayStation 5 didn't have anything for me. Godfall is bad, Sackboy is fine but im not a platformer gamer and was always going to wait for Rift Apart instead and have zero interest in Demon's Souls. Xbox wise, it was just Gears Tactics which I enjoyed but the mandatory side missions were a half point negative for me.

It was more about the multi-platform games for me personally. Loved Immortals Fenyx Rising a month after launch, I still have Cyberpunk 2077 to play and Assassin's Creed Valhalla is great but Origins/Odyssey is better. Overall for me, the Nov/Dec launch was the best ever.

Either way, the start of this generation has been the best for me ever. And while the first 12-14 months won't surpass Super Nintendo due to a lot of games being delayed, to go with better tech, ultra fast loading times and 60FPS as the base for performance, im super thrilled. Will get even better as the years progress.

NullZ3r0

Banned
The Dreamcast had the best launch in recent memory.

• AAA Mascot game at launch: Sonic Adventure
  • AAA Sports game at launch: NFL 2K
  • AAA Fighting game at launch: Soul Calibur and Ready 2 Rumble
The graphics were unbelievable in these games. It felt truly next gen and the console and controllers with the VMU all looked and felt next gen.

I spent $600 at launch. That doesn't sound impressive at all in the age of $500 consoles. But the Dreamcast launched at $199.

Last edited:
Pretty much every sony console bar this original ps1 had barren launches..you should not buy any sony console until year 2
even more so now as they ..
1) they may be instock
2) the manufacturing process is more refined so you dont get stuff like coil whine ect
3) they actually have more than few games to play

for me sega took the overall crown for best launch titles (dreamcast) and worst (32x and mega/sega cd).....these consoles basically had nothing but their launch titles before they were killed off
runner up would be 3do which had the awesome need for speed/road rash launch title combo and then had a barren release schedule that would give jack ryan an errection

The Dreamcast is a textbook example of how to launch a system.
Hardly. The trouble is everyone counts the America launch when that came 9 to months after the DC 1st shipped. I think everyone should just go on when a console is 1st launched no matter what part of the world that is

My Worst Console launches

Mega CD - Cost me a fortune its launch line up wasn't great. Still, its boot screen showed off awesome scaling and rotation effects I guess

PS2 - Just a crap launch, still you could watch DVD's

360 - Other than PGR3 its launch line up was a letdown

Mega Drive - Super Thunderblade and SH II were hardly a step over the PC Engine

My Best consoles launches

XBox - Halo, PGR, DOA 3 all on day one, just one of the best launches ever

XBox One - I really enjoyed Ryse and Forza 5 myself

N64 - Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 are some of the best games ever made to have them on day one was sensational

PSP - Having Ridge Racer on the PSP made me think I was playing something from the future, it was a stunning game and what a showcase for the system

Sega Saturn - Playing VF in my home in Nov1994 was just one of the best launch events ever. 3D was ahead of anything on the consoles and to a point even the PC at that time. VF sounded amazing with bone cherishing sound effects,m stunning music and a game that moved with the grace of a Jackie Chan film, never before had I see such lifelike movement in a video game in real-time

Havoc2049

My favorite launch was the Xbox with Halo CE, PGR and DOA3.

For me sega took the overall crown for best launch titles (dreamcast) and worst (32x and mega/sega cd).....these consoles basically had nothing but their launch titles before they were killed off
runner up would be 3do which had the awesome need for speed/road rash launch title combo and then had a barren release schedule that would give jack ryan an errection
I thought the Sega CD had some really solid titles over its lifetime and was an amazing added value to the Genesis library. There are some great RPGs, adventure games, a few action games and a few cool 3D shooters on the Sega CD.

The 3DO didn't launch with any stand alone games, the only game was the pack-in title, Crash-n-Burn. A handful of games and edutainment titles were released before Christmas in 1993. Road Rash and Need For Speed didn't get released until the 3rd quarter of 1994.

My favorite launch was the Xbox with Halo CE, PGR and DOA3.

I thought the Sega CD had some really solid titles over its lifetime and was an amazing added value to the Genesis library. There are some great RPGs, adventure games, a few action games and a few cool 3D shooters on the Sega CD.

The 3DO didn't launch with any stand alone games, the only game was the pack-in title, Crash-n-Burn. A handful of games and edutainment titles were released before Christmas in 1993. Road Rash and Need For Speed didn't get released until the 3rd quarter of 1994.
depends on which territory you bought it in
back in the day the aus region was a bastardised pal region which only really had the tentpole EU titles and none of the cool US or Japan titles that you mention
and the 32x/Saturn combo pretty much killed the market in aus for sega so they never bothered after that

When the dreamcast released they also delayed some launch titles just to stretch the release windows out but by then sega as a console was already dead

3do was import only in australia and cost about $1000 in 1994 money...road rash and need for speed were the only ones that were readily available...oh and Gex
when 3do started to go under those import titles became harder to import as the internet did not exist back then so it was snail mail or phoning up a shop in the middle of the night from overseas

Last edited:
Top Bottom