• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserkers are POS in Ragnarok!

RCU005

Sorry for this rant post, but those berserkers are so fucking annoying! I am playing on GIVE ME A STORY and still they just never die! The fucking health takes thousand strikes to lose a fucking millimeter!

I noticed this in many bosses! Why making it so fucking long! You want a long fight, design it so that is long and fun, not ducking annoying that the fucking boss doesn’t lower any health and he kills you in one hit even in fucking very easy mode!

Who the fuck designed this shit?? Why did they fucking put an easy mode if it’s worth shit!

And it’s not just the berserkers. My father is not a gamer at all but enjoyed god of war 2018 playing it in give me a story. This time is having a hard time completing the story because he keeps dying, something that didn’t happen in the last game.

I don’t care if they put extremely hard bosses for the hardcore but if I’m playing in EASY mode is because I don’t want to stress over a fucking boss!

Sorry for this rant post, but those berserkers are so fucking annoying! I am playing on GIVE ME A STORY and still they just never die! The fucking health takes thousand strikes to lose a fucking millimeter!

I noticed this in many bosses! Why making it so fucking long! You want a long fight, design it so that is long and fun, not ducking annoying that the fucking boss doesn’t lower any health and he kills you in one hit even in fucking very easy mode!

Who the fuck designed this shit?? Why did they fucking put an easy mode if it’s worth shit!

And it’s not just the berserkers. My father is not a gamer at all but enjoyed god of war 2018 playing it in give me a story. This time is having a hard time completing the story because he keeps dying, something that didn’t happen in the last game.

I don’t care if they put extremely hard bosses for the hardcore but if I’m playing in EASY mode is because I don’t want to stress over a fucking boss!

First off, get good.

If you're dying with a sliver of health left, you should have bought the resurrection items.

These are also entirely optional and meant to challenge yourself.

These aren't much harder if at all than the Valkyries so not sure what you and your dad are on about.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Last edited:

Rea

They are optional bosses man, your father can just skip them and just enjoy the story.

But I do agree that combat is sucks compared to 2018. Lots of unnecessary gang bangs. What disappointed me most was they recycled, copy and pasted lots of skillls.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I play on GMGOW, the berserkers are fine, just the one with duo or trio is a headache.

The berserker king and Gna on the other hand is a problem for me

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t feel attached to the first couple fights, so I went and did other stuff. I liked the Valkyrie’s spinning moves, their war cries, and what not more. Berserkers seemed cool, but not my cup of tea.

Vyse

Gold Member
Are you guys upgrading your gear? The color of the bosses healthbars also tells you what gear level they are compared to you. If they are purple or orange, run. If it's red, reload checkpoint and go do something else.
Didn’t know they about the health bars. Thank you. I’ve taken down 3 so far. I just jump in and try out different tactics. If I get stuck, go onto other side quests and come back later with better gear. There is so much to do in this game. Absolutely love it and hate that I am almost at the end. Prolonging the inevitable I suppose.

Ezekiel_

Banned
For sure there's something you're doing wrong. You know you actually have to upgrade your gear, right?

And also, the berserkers are endgame stuff, do the main path first if you find them too hard.

damidu

they are optional (basically valkyries of first game), nowhere near as tough as you made it sound, even at no mercy difficulty

probably at story mode game doesn’t require you to learn combat systems and gear/weapon/skill upgrades for the most part.
then i can see any difficulty bump might feel too much.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

Are you a gaming journalist? I kid, I kid.
It is tough, but tbh Valkyries in GoW 2018 were harder. Keep at it, make sure all weapons and armours in level 9 before facing berserker (especially the twins?)

RCU005

Are you a gaming journalist? I kid, I kid.
It is tough, but tbh Valkyries in GoW 2018 were harder. Keep at it, make sure all weapons and armours in level 9 before facing berserker (especially the twins?)

The valkyries were harder but in give me a story they were a piece of cake, because it was on easy mode. This time around the easy mode means nothing!

The problem it’s not the difficulty but the extremely tedious health bar! Every boss in the game is extremely annoying to lower their health bar. The stun bar is practically useless! It takes forever to fill up and it depletes super fast! The combat is just not balanced! I mean is very easy difficulty! Why making it so hard for people that want to just enjoy the story and not worry about anything else?!

This optional bosses are incredibly frustrating because of their difficulty to lower their health bar! It gets very exhausting that you are hitting them like 1000 times for 20 minutes and they just decrease one square of health! It’s worse than any kingdom heart game! The bosses of the story are better because they have checkpoints!

I have my weapons at level 9 and armor at level 8 or 9!

sendit

Video might make you mad (GMGOW difficulty, no dmg, gear is only lvl 4)

This berserker killed me over ~50 times (lost count) in GMGOW difficulty. Crazy how this man/woman/it/thing played with precision, no wasted moves, perfect dodge, and parrying.

Last edited:

sendit

First off, get good.

If you're dying with a sliver of health left, you should have bought the resurrection items.

These are also entirely optional and meant to challenge yourself.

These aren't much harder if at all than the Valkyries so not sure what you and your dad are on about.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

4 Years have passed since the first game. People don't game better with age. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You say you are level 8 or 9 and playing on easy and yet you are still having issues with beserkers? You are clearly not playing it right. I’ve been playing on gmgow and even at level 5 the first couple of beserkers were green taking a lot of damage.

What’s your strength? If you want to do a lot of damage then bring it up to 500. If it’s around 300 you aren’t going to do much damage even on easy.

Also stun doesn’t do anything. You need to set enemies on fire or freeze them then use the other weapon to do extra damage. They introduced the triangle attacks for this purpose.

reezoo

There are two types of berserk fights in GOWR. One where you fight a single guy and they are one the best things I have recently played in any game, 'git good' applies, I have to fight hacklangr the bearded few dozen times to win (red health bar).

The other type is the MOST FUCKING ANNOYING BS you can have as boss fight, you are fighting multiple enemies, you get lock in animations and get hit, enemies shoot from off screen and most of them have projectile attacks.

It looks like two people or team work one these, one person/team who knows and understand what will work in close third person cam and another person/team.. honestly I dont know what they were thinking if they were thinking anything.

Last edited:
I played on no mercy and I honestly didn’t find them that difficult

Really just gotta git gud if you want to play the optional challenge bosses. They’re put in the game for people that want additional end-game challenge to test their skills

Last edited:

Neolombax

I found that with enough levelling and upgrading, it should not be that big of an issue. Even the multi berserkers were manageable once I levelled up enough. I'd say if survivability is an issue for you, maybe pay attention to your armor perks, pick ones that have the ability to heal you or add to your health/defense. The only issue I had was with the last one, of which at that point I had already finished the game and just didnt bother finishing the fight as it seemed to be more of an endurance battle type thing.

RCU005

The other type is the MOST FUCKING ANNOYING BS you can have as boss fight, you are fighting multiple enemies, you get lock in animations and get hit, enemies shoot from off screen and most of them have projectile attacks.
One huge problem this game has is that enemies (bosses specially) completely ignore your attacks. You are in the middle of an attack and they just move, attack you, or whatever. They just don’t respond at all to your attacks! Including the rage! This has to be a bug!

I know GOW had something like that in some cases, but this is complete BS! It doesn’t matter what kind of attack you do, the bosses just don’t care! Runic attacks are useless because of that! Then, normal attacks do so little damage that it’s pathetic! Pressing R1 and R2 is like you are just tickling the boss!

This game is meant for two things, I believe:

1) Enjoy the story
2) Exploit the combat

The gameplay is not made for “getting Gud” as they say in many replies. It’s not about skill at all! The combat is so broken that either you exploit it like the videos above or you lose and get annoyed!

slade

Didn’t know they about the health bars. Thank you. I’ve taken down 3 so far. I just jump in and try out different tactics. If I get stuck, go onto other side quests and come back later with better gear. There is so much to do in this game. Absolutely love it and hate that I am almost at the end. Prolonging the inevitable I suppose.

I didn't know about the health bars either until halfway through the game when I got the hilt and started going after berserker graves. I killed about three or four of them before I ran into the duo at the Mines in Svartalfheim. They two shotted me about a dozen times before I realized that they were doing way too much damage. A quick google search later and.... yeah, I'll come back later.
Also, explore the Crater region fully. I was able to jump almost three levels because of all the loot you get there. Finished the game with only two Berserker fights left.

mxbison

They are not necessary to complete the story.

And by just getting permafrost/immolation up and using some runic skills they absolutely melted on Medium difficulty. Not sure what you even have to do to only take millimeters off their health.

slade

One huge problem this game has is that enemies (bosses specially) completely ignore your attacks. You are in the middle of an attack and they just move, attack you, or whatever. They just don’t respond at all to your attacks! Including the rage! This has to be a bug!

I know GOW had something like that in some cases, but this is complete BS! It doesn’t matter what kind of attack you do, the bosses just don’t care! Runic attacks are useless because of that! Then, normal attacks do so little damage that it’s pathetic! Pressing R1 and R2 is like you are just tickling the boss!

This game is meant for two things, I believe:

1) Enjoy the story
2) Exploit the combat

The gameplay is not made for “getting Gud” as they say in many replies. It’s not about skill at all! The combat is so broken that either you exploit it like the videos above or you lose and get annoyed!

There is a stun bar underneath the life bar that you have to fill up to do any real damage. Use the guardian shield with that one attachment that lets you extend the parry window. Learn how to parry the yellow attacks and counter with the guardian shield. It fills up that stun bar quickly but you also have to keep up the pressure with regular attacks. If you have the Spear, that is a good choice. You can also slot in accessories that will allow you to stun enemies faster. Go and read up on what type of build you want and what you need for that build.

Even on easy mode, I think you do have to engage with the levelling system to some extent.

Shubh_C63

Combat is definitely better than 2018 version. What I learned was to use a LOT of melee attacks at first half of the game and once runic attacks and cooldown becomes frequent you can start using the status effects more, don't forget to to activate frozen or molten attacks first. Maybe go to practice area and grind the skill tree to open the slots.
Also BLOCK and block everything, and in boss fights its easier to do the basic stuff (block, parry, attack, dodge) than be fancy by using runic attacks in mid-game.

I switched on mini boss checkpoint in Normal difficulty at some point. Made my life so much easier.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Think you just need to upgrade your gear then pop back. I did the first 3 at level 4 and I'm hanging off now to level up some more. Go do some other stuff then pop back.

They are fun fights but show how terrible the camera can be. I'll deffo drop down to normal difficulty if they take more than a couple of tries this time, I did the valkerys but something seems a little more annoying with these ones.

D3SCHA1N

Even I beat all the berserkers on gimme balance so they can't be that tough cause I'm really not very good.

Ovek

7Member7
That's the problem with playing GOW on the lowest difficulty setting. The game at the lowest difficultly, especially “story” mode, doesn't teach you to use any of your skills, runic attacks or even to parry properly because you don't have to during general gameplay. Just swinging your axe about is perfectly adequate… until you get to the optional bosses, and they wreck your shit in two hits or nuke your health with bifrost attacks.

ikbalCO

To an extend, you are right.

I think some game direction decisions make them unfait.

First one is the camera. Kratos takes too much space on screen for boss fights with multiple berserkers.

The other one is i shouldnt get damage while on runic attack animation sincr i cannot cancel them mid animation.

Last one is sometimes your runic attacks interrupt their ongoing attacks but sometimes they dont? Like wtf is up with that.

I beat most of them but yeah they are hard for the sake of being hard instead of challenging.

SaucyJack

IMO the Berserkers do represent quite a difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game. More so than the Valkyries did in the last one. But for me the difficulty spike is that they’re the first enemies that really make you thoughtful about how you’re playing.

For me a key difference is that you can go through the rest of the game without thinking much about your play style, your build, your tactics. The Berserkers, on the other hand, you really do have to think about it. You can go through the main game without parrying at all, but you’ll struggle to build up the stun meter on the berserkers and therefore be really slow to run down their health bar.

So yes, upgrade everything, but think about which armour you’re combining with what accessories and what runic attacks gel with that style. And different Berserkers may require a different build.

Perhaps the game is not for you then? They are optional but on the easiest difficulty you cannot kill any of them? Not everyone can be good at games so just focus on the story and move on.

The only one that made me want to punch something IRL was the one with two ranged adds. On Give Me God of War it was unbelievably frustrating to be doing so well and suddenly be one-shot or two-shot by off-screen projectiles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom