• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold PS5's Dualsense light strip colors vs. Dualshock's 4 Light Bar. Fire!!!!!

Which color you like best?

• Total voters
Going with purple

I like the purple.

32a0d86daea32b241d20a6f2800b20e0.jpg

69d941d8be62ce2b89606d7ad686137c.gif

MiguelItUp

I thought it was pretty cool when they were able to sync the light bar with what was going on in-game. I think having it come over the front of the controller is cool considering I'd imagine you'd be able to see it in your peripheral better.

I personally don't see what's so "gorgeous" and "beautiful" about the controller. I think it looks fine, but I'm really curious to know how it feels.

Last edited:

Agent X

As such I think Sony should allow gamers to customize those colors instead of making users jump through hoops to get their favorite color.

Many games on PS4 changed the color of the light bar, either to correspond to events in the game, or (particularly in multiplayer games) to match the color or icon of a player's character or icon. I assume PS55 games will treat the lights on the DualSense in a similar manner.

As far as I know, there is no technical reason this thing exists. The lightbar on the DS4 had some purpose for the VR stuff I think? I don't see a reason why sony would not let me deactivate it on the DS5 though.

Yes, it was used for VR. More specifically, it was used in conjunction with the PlayStation Camera, even before PSVR was available. The position, orientation, and color of the light bar could be "seen" by the PS Camera, and (along with gyro and accelerometer) would aid the system in locating players in motion-controlled games.

I don't believe this is the case. The colors show that. I might be wrong though! Just seems strange to have two things indicating the same thing. PS4 doesn't have one, two, three lights, it only has the different light bar colors.

This would be useful for accessibility purposes. Color-blind players might be able to recognize that one ore more lights are glowing in certain locations on the controller, even if they are unable to discern the difference between the actual colors of the lights.

Many games on PS4 changed the color of the light bar, either to correspond to events in the game, or (particularly in multiplayer games) to match the color or icon of a player's character or icon. I assume PS55 games will treat the lights on the DualSense in a similar manner.

Yes, it was used for VR. More specifically, it was used in conjunction with the PlayStation Camera, even before PSVR was available. The position, orientation, and color of the light bar could be "seen" by the PS Camera, and (along with gyro and accelerometer) would aid the system in locating players in motion-controlled games.

This would be useful for accessibility purposes. Color-blind players might be able to recognize that one ore more lights are glowing in certain locations on the controller, even if they are unable to discern the difference between the actual colors of the lights.

But you couldn't set the color you wanted unless you made a bunch of accounts. At least for UI browsing until you boot a game that takes control of the functionality.

Last edited:
I don't see the hype, I'm staring at a screen not my hands while I play.

With the newer(ish) DS4's there is also a light strip at the top of the touch pad, you hardly notice it though since again, you're staring at a screen and not your hands while playing games.

Justin9mm

I want the buttons to light up their relevant colours, not the whole button, just the actual symbol, like really subtle, not bright to be annoying but just bright enough so you can just see the colour.

Top Bottom