• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold PS5's Dualsense light strip colors vs. Dualshock's 4 Light Bar. Fire!!!!!

Which color you like best?

• Total voters
Dualsense.jpg

Courtesy of 4Gamer.net from the recent PS5 previews in Japan. These are led light strips for VR that replace the Dualshock's 4 lightbar. I think they add a great personal touch to the controller and look really nice. As such I think Sony should allow gamers to customize those colors instead of making users jump through hoops to get their favorite color.

Are the changes a major improvement over the Dualshock 4?
Is is aesthetically pleasing to your eyes?
Are you in love with the new Dualsense design?

Old Dualshock 4:

111.jpg

GenericUser

I was gonna say the same thing. They look good but whats the point? Drain the battery faster?
As far as I know, there is no technical reason this thing exists. The lightbar on the DS4 had some purpose for the VR stuff I think? I don't see a reason why sony would not let me deactivate it on the DS5 though.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Green looks so nice on those pics. All of them do tbh.

Agree, the green one seems to have much higher contrast compared to other colors, and it's a very nice, warm hue, very pleasing for the eyes, while purple looks almost invisible and red is too aggressive. I think orange would look sick too between that white and black.

Agree, the green one seems to have much higher contrast compared to other colors, and it's a very nice, warm hue, very pleasing for the eyes, while purple looks almost invisible and red is too aggressive. I think orange would look sick too between that white and black.

I wish we got those. I think we getting yellow and white like the previous dualshock 4. But....Maybe not....maybe they're keeping the other colors under tabs?

Last edited:

Ultraslick

Neo Member
The lights are supposed to be used by developers as another ambient/ supplemental form of immersion for the player.
Can be used as a health indicator switching from green to red, or a flashing alarm.
Can turn green when in a toxic zone.
It could flash all the colors if entering a club, or blue-red if getting pulled over by the cops.

In game huds typically handle all this, but i could see it being a welcome extra feature.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What aare those two LED dots below the touchpad? Looks like infrared something, not sure what would be the purpose....

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They are the player number (one light means P1, two lights means P2 etc)
Hmm it looks so random, hopefully it's going to look better in person, because light bleed, it does not look tight. I like how PS3 controller have it implemented, looked classy.

Calverz

Can you make them alternate between colours so it goes with my rgb rainbow pc and my philips hue alternating rainbow colours in my office???

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They are the player number (one light means P1, two lights means P2 etc)

I don't believe this is the case. The colors show that. I might be wrong though! Just seems strange to have two things indicating the same thing. PS4 doesn't have one, two, three lights, it only has the different light bar colors.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The led strip is inactive when playing solo, and active when playing with multiple people on the same console. Only the led below the touchpad is always active.

It shows which the player number.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is the case. The colors show that. I might be wrong though! Just seems strange to have two things indicating the same thing. PS4 doesn't have one, two, three lights, it only has the different light bar colors.

No, it is the case. It was said or revealed during the Japanese hands on.

It harkens back to the ps3 controller days where youd see how many controller are connected.

Reference:

iOf7KNa.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, it is the case. It was said or revealed during the Japanese hands on.

It harkens back to the ps3 controller days where youd see how many controller are connected.

Reference:

iOf7KNa.jpg

Yeah, I know PS3 had it. Seems weird to go back to it after PS4 did it with colors instead, and PS5 still seemingly supports that as well.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I like purple but it's too close to blue on the DS5, a yellow or a pink would have been easier to differentiate. Anyway it's only usefull when playing local multiplayers and will be off solo.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah, I know PS3 had it. Seems weird to go back to it after PS4 did it with colors instead, and PS5 still seemingly supports that as well.

I'm guessing because they expect the lights to be used more in games this generation. On the DS4 the bulk of the LED is frontward facing for PSMove with a little strip across the top. Here there are two lines down the side. Some games used red pulses or green to show health status etc. This way they can decouple the colour from the player number if they want, while still making it clear which player you are?

Top Bottom