• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Social Opinion News Behold PS5's Dualsense light strip colors vs. Dualshock's 4 Light Bar. Fire!!!!!

Which color you like best?

• Total voters
May 8, 2020

Courtesy of 4Gamer.net from the recent PS5 previews in Japan. These are led light strips for VR that replace the Dualshock's 4 lightbar. I think they add a great personal touch to the controller and look really nice. As such I think Sony should allow gamers to customize those colors instead of making users jump through hoops to get their favorite color.

Are the changes a major improvement over the Dualshock 4?
Is is aesthetically pleasing to your eyes?
Are you in love with the new Dualsense design?

Old Dualshock 4:

ZywyPL

Nov 27, 2018
Green looks so nice on those pics. All of them do tbh.

Agree, the green one seems to have much higher contrast compared to other colors, and it's a very nice, warm hue, very pleasing for the eyes, while purple looks almost invisible and red is too aggressive. I think orange would look sick too between that white and black.

Reactions: Knitted Knight
May 8, 2020
Agree, the green one seems to have much higher contrast compared to other colors, and it's a very nice, warm hue, very pleasing for the eyes, while purple looks almost invisible and red is too aggressive. I think orange would look sick too between that white and black.

I wish we got those. I think we getting yellow and white like the previous dualshock 4. But....Maybe not....maybe they're keeping the other colors under tabs?

Last edited:

Ultraslick

Neo Member
Nov 6, 2018
The lights are supposed to be used by developers as another ambient/ supplemental form of immersion for the player.
Can be used as a health indicator switching from green to red, or a flashing alarm.
Can turn green when in a toxic zone.
It could flash all the colors if entering a club, or blue-red if getting pulled over by the cops.

In game huds typically handle all this, but i could see it being a welcome extra feature.

cormack12

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2013
What aare those two LED dots below the touchpad? Looks like infrared something, not sure what would be the purpose....

They are the player number (one light means P1, two lights means P2 etc)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
Hmm it looks so random, hopefully it's going to look better in person, because light bleed, it does not look tight. I like how PS3 controller have it implemented, looked classy.

May 8, 2020
Do you get to choose your color? I'm going purple if so.

We praying it's a feature. Devs can do it. You can do it on PC on the DualShock 4. You can do it on a PS4 but you have to jump through hoops to do it - it's not an option.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Vier

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
Kill it with fire!

And purge that floodlight button on the xbox controller while you're at it.

Calverz

Apr 27, 2014
Can you make them alternate between colours so it goes with my rgb rainbow pc and my philips hue alternating rainbow colours in my office???

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
I prefer the light being stripped off from the controller, please and thank you.

RoadHazard

Dec 9, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

I don't believe this is the case. The colors show that. I might be wrong though! Just seems strange to have two things indicating the same thing. PS4 doesn't have one, two, three lights, it only has the different light bar colors.

Last edited:

Snake29

Jul 30, 2013
The Netherlands
The led strip is inactive when playing solo, and active when playing with multiple people on the same console. Only the led below the touchpad is always active.

It shows which the player number.

Last edited:

eyesabitdull

May 10, 2020
I don't believe this is the case. The colors show that. I might be wrong though! Just seems strange to have two things indicating the same thing. PS4 doesn't have one, two, three lights, it only has the different light bar colors.

No, it is the case. It was said or revealed during the Japanese hands on.

It harkens back to the ps3 controller days where youd see how many controller are connected.

Reference:

RoadHazard

Dec 9, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
No, it is the case. It was said or revealed during the Japanese hands on.

It harkens back to the ps3 controller days where youd see how many controller are connected.

Reference:

Yeah, I know PS3 had it. Seems weird to go back to it after PS4 did it with colors instead, and PS5 still seemingly supports that as well.

Gaelyon

Sep 15, 2020
I like purple but it's too close to blue on the DS5, a yellow or a pink would have been easier to differentiate. Anyway it's only usefull when playing local multiplayers and will be off solo.

cormack12

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, I know PS3 had it. Seems weird to go back to it after PS4 did it with colors instead, and PS5 still seemingly supports that as well.

I'm guessing because they expect the lights to be used more in games this generation. On the DS4 the bulk of the LED is frontward facing for PSMove with a little strip across the top. Here there are two lines down the side. Some games used red pulses or green to show health status etc. This way they can decouple the colour from the player number if they want, while still making it clear which player you are?

VinnyMac

Sep 19, 2020
Wonder if you can pick the color you want this time instead of player one always being blue

Saber

Jan 30, 2019
I'm usually a fan of blue, but green looks nice in this case.

But if anything, would be better if theres a turn off option. The less consuming battery effects for me, the better.

drezz

Neo Member
Jan 8, 2020
I wish the button would've colours under the buttons as well.
Imagine X having the light blue colour during a QTE and such.

• Thoughtful

Arun1910

Sep 11, 2013
I love this. For one you can actually SEE the light, not sure how Sony though people held the controllers before.

Having it be subtle and down both sides rather than the entire outer edge was a good choice too.