• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behaviour removes Dead by Daylight cosmetics following racist harassment

Good, now remove black player characters from the game, as it's racist to have them be victims of these horrible white monsters. Only when black and white people have been completely segregated from society videogames will we have true peace and anti-racism.

If you cannot feel me beating you over the head with sarcasm I suggest getting it examined.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
We just can't have nice things.

If the community is being toxic like this, then I guess it's the only response unless you can pinpoint and ban these people.

This is a drastic step meant to nip this problem in the bud. I know if there was another way to address I would prefer it over this, but honestly what else could be done?

.Pennywise

Banned

If the community is being toxic like this, then I guess it's the only response unless you can pinpoint and ban these people.

This is a drastic step meant to nip this problem in the bud. I know if there was another way to address I would prefer it over this, but honestly what else could be done?
Ummm, nothing? Like, ignore these idiots and leave the cosmetic there?

Outlier

So I'm assuming we CAN'T wear a mask that is any color shade other than peached cream, now?

Seems like if the character isn't wholly representing a race, then there can be NO artificial representation what so ever, of said race.

GymWolf

The way GymWolf phrased it, only white men, there is also a sexist component to it.
It was really a general statement, white man as white race, both men and women.

Although White women are in a slightly better position than white men in the oppression pyramid.

Notabueno

Banned
And yet you are here, part of this community. Is this take a projected admission?
Despite this thread being pro-racism, I don't understand Behavior not removing the people harassing other players rather than the mask, which implies that the problem were by essence the masks and not the players...

Last edited:

FStubbs

Dial back on that bigotry. You have no way of telling the race of anyone posting here.
In this topic, white people telling black people how they should feel about things.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Z2lm.gif

So for those unaware, Leatherface in DbD can unlock the faces of the four original survivors in the game by killing them on hook a certain number of times. I think it’s 25 each? It can be a grind, especially now with so many survivors being available. One of those faces is Claudette, a black woman.

I don’t doubt that some racist piece of trash has tunneled or griefed a black character while wearing the Claudette skin. There are racist people in every game community. However, it’s pretty impossible to tell what the intent is behind what a killer does in DbD. I’ve been accused of being racist just for wearing the Claudette face. I’ve been accusing of being racist for tunneling a survivor who happened to be using a black character out of the game. Had nothing to do with them using a black character.

Not too long ago they added a pride flag cosmetic and there was a huge uproar from people claiming to be killed or tunneled just because they had that cosmetic on. But it’s extremely difficult to tell what charm a survivor has while you are killer in game, unless you’re going out of your way to look for it. BHVR had to come out and actually warn people that it was a bannable offense to tunnel or grief users just because they had the pride flag. But again, how can you tell intent?

6000 shards is nothing and is a slap in the (black)face to anyone who spent time grinding for these cosmetics. It’s also removing something that ties to the lore of Leatherface and is something very cool in game. Just another example of how out of touch BHVR is with their community. The game is an unbalanced mess, with a boring meta, and flooded with hackers, but hey someone was maybe griefed in a video game so let’s ruin it for everyone.

These clowns actually beg the community to nominate them for Steams labor of love or whatever award.

Bridges

Yeah I don't understand this. I really like DbD but it's not like you can hear what the killer is saying unless you invite them to a party or something. As far as being "targeted" is this not the point of the game? The killer is hunting the survivors, and if you hook a survivor three times then they die, so it makes sense to "target" a player so their numbers thin quicker. DbD's community is full of crybabies though so it doesn't surprise me that they'd use "racism" as an excuse as to why they are losing

Goalus

This is great because everyone can feel safe and welcome now while playing DbD.

I am literally shaking just thinking about encountering other players wearing that mask.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The what?
It's a pyramidal graphic representation where the most oppressed races\cultures\sexual beliefs are in the upper part and white males are on the bottom, i let you imagine in what position trans\black people are...

One of the best piece of comedy gold from the woke crowd.

I can't find it right now...

Last edited:

Tangerine

Haha. I member. I like this guy's take on it :D Right funny fucker. The 3 minute video on this page:

Last edited:

Goalus

Let's be honest.
The quick reaction of the developers is brave and beautiful. There's no other way to describe it.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't care for DBD and don't know much about their backend, but if it isn't THAT advanced, then I guess their choices are very limited. The smart thing to do, like mentioned earlier, is just banning those culprits and call it a day. Because if those people are harassing others while using a cosmetic, even if the cosmetic is gone what makes anyone think they'll stop harassing anyone? It's like when Twitch knee jerk responded to users in chat spamming specific emotes during specific moments that became racial. They wanted to remove emotes to "stop it", but then streamers and others came out saying it was ridiculous and that it should be up to the streamer & mods to control things if the chat gets out of control.

Ummm, nothing? Like, ignore these idiots and leave the cosmetic there?
Well, I mean to be fair, DBD has been growing in popularity over the years. Their community manager probably came across reports of people harassing other players using the cosmetic. So, it made them panic as doing nothing could also warrant them some unfortunate publicity from signaling sites like Kotaku, etc. Unfortunately, it's hard to NOT assume this means people were running around dawning it while throwing n words around at players and saying god knows what. So, if it was like THAT, then yeah, they couldn't just ignore it as it could potentially spiral out of control.

Last edited:

radewagon

Look, if I created a game that was popular enough to make me a lot of money and then some idiots decided to repurpose a mechanic in this game as a way to spread their dumb stupid hateful ideas, then, yeah, my course of action could be to selectively start banning only certain bad actors and worrying about the intent of the players and trying to sus out who is deserving of a ban vs. just a victim of circumstance and blah blah blah. . .

OR.. I could just remove the tool being used by racists and wash my hands of the whole thing. I get that a lot of you don't like the move and think it's just another instance of the awful wokeness in gaming, but it's probably not. This is just a big annoying headache for everyone involved and the easiest solution is to just be rid of it.

Anyone angry at this solution should direct the anger at where it belongs. Racists being racist.

Toots

Gold Member
Despite this thread being pro-racism, I don't understand Behavior not removing the people harassing other players rather than the mask, which implies that the problem were by essence the masks and not the players...
Despite your virtue signaling accusation, you make a really good point and are right on target with your assessment of the situation.

Killing people - ✅
Cutting off their face - ✅
Wearing said face - ✅
But it's a white male wearing a black person's face - ⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️
This should be the pitch for a new Texas Chainsaw Massacre told from Leatherface's perspective. After murdering and wearing a black kid's face, he is labeled a racist by college kids so he desperately tries to prove to his future victims that he's just a serial killer, not a racist.

The true horror was being called a racist, not a mass murdering psychopath. :messenger_fearful:

Fbh

It's kinda funny that we've had like 30 years of online gaming with people doing dumb/edgy stuff and being shitty to each other almost from the beginning
But as soon as a couple of people with enough flags and pronouns on their twitter Bio complain, companies go like:

Panic Omg GIF

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
I mean, the monster / killer / bad fella is wearing the mask / face as a way of intimidation, like when during battles / wars they would put people's heads on pikes, not because he is being racist.

It's little whinny cunts like this that detract from the real issues in life. I fucking hate dumb attention seeking pieces of shit and companies who think progression and change is to listen to the emotionally handicapped idiots who see everything as a child growing up and learning e.g a dog has 4 legs, therefore that cow is a dog. If a white is wearing black mask, it's blackface!

It's so disappointing that loud mouths are getting any second of attention never mind causing companies to act like spineless children. Where are all the companies bending to the will of the majority in terms of things like loot boxes / microtransactions / releasing broken games? Oh, they still make money of that.

Reminds of this www.vulture.com/amp/2020/07/the-real-mud-on-golden-girls.html

zaanan

Banned
I bet the snowflakes who complained aren’t even black. Also, can a dude have a female character, or wear a woman’s face in the game, and vice-versa? If so, where is the outrage over that? You can’t pretend to be a different color, but you can pretend to be a different sex?

Gene Wilder Nonsense GIF by MOODMAN

ShadowLag

Humans aren't gonna make it, folks.

As a wise man once said,

One great big festering neon distraction
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied
Learn to swim

This is slowly leading towards removing anything related to black people from games. Isn't this kind of the opposite of what we would want? Good job people, the fear of potential discrimination leads to actual discrimination.
They already did this with food products, uncle ben, cream of wheat dude, aunt jemima, land o lakes lady, all gone.... woke assholes strike again.grrrr

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I feel like it's not my right to decide what is considered offensive for black people, but I look at these things kind of like dealing with bullies or older siblings teasing me. If you let people know it's getting to you, you give them power to affect you. If you let them know you get bothered by a word, you give that word more power.

I believe in psychologically disarming the power of hate tools by treating it with a shrug. I feel like banning and censoring draws more attention to what you wouldn't want it to. Psychology is very counter intuitive though, and I totally understand why people respond with outrage instead.

Ultimately I just live by the 'try not to be an ass' method, but unfortunately you will always have people that stir shit on both sides of an issue. That's why I think censoring away problems won't work.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They are a business; if a cosmetic is adding to the number of reports they have to handle.. then they remove it. It's an easier solution for them than dealing with every report.

You guys sort of ironically care way too much about this stuff, people talking about the end of humanity in a thread about a single cosmetic being removed from one game lol

They are a business; if a cosmetic is adding to the number of reports they have to handle.. then they remove it. It's an easier solution for them than dealing with every report.

You guys sort of ironically care way too much about this stuff, people talking about the end of humanity in a thread about a single cosmetic being removed from one game lol
There was probably a grand total of 2 reports about this. But the kinds of people that bitch about this are the people that don't shut up until they get their way.

Vae_Victis

Banned
This has to be the dumbest SJW """""controversy""""" to be picked up by a developer I've seen in a long while, maybe only topped by Ubisoft removing from AC Valhalla a text mentioning somebody with burn scars because literally ONE mental patient on Twitter began tirading about how ableits it was towards some person they knew in real life who had the same disfigurement (and when they actually got their way they immediately went on a honest-to-god crazy person ego-trip where they promised to "come for all your bigoted video games" or something to that effect).

Unless there were legions of players all coordinating to wear this one outfit and go out to stalk black characters relentlessly, I'll bet whatever you want the people who actually witnessed this behavior in game first-hand are in the dozens at most (out of hundreds of thousands of players every day). And some of that will likely have been just a perceived thing from the person being targeted, while the intent of the person playing the killer had probably nothing to do with that, if there even was an intent at all.

Video games are becoming more and more a political battleground once again, we peaked around the time of GamerGate and then it seemed to wane down for a while, but now it's resurging stronger than ever. There are so many people who develop no brain or personality of their own, and among other possibilities end up making of a political stance their whole existence. Then it's no surprise they go about their life as a living political propaganda machine, see everything through that lens and prioritize pushing their politics over almost anything else.

It's literally the same mental and sociological process as religious fundamentalists, demanding every piece of media to conform to their personal beliefs; since religion is the only filter they have towards the world, their religion comes before anything else in everything their encounter in their life. And of course this happens from all sides and parties to an extent, but since young people with a strong political stance are on average left-leaning, in "young people" hobbies like video games the flavor of this bollocks we have to deal with is the SJW first-world "I know better than anybody else, and I'll correct your life for you whether you like it or not" attitude.

TL;DR: we live in a late-stage clown society, and it will only get worse before it gets better

Top Bottom