• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behaviour removes Dead by Daylight cosmetics following racist harassment

Bullet Club

Behaviour removes Dead by Daylight cosmetics following racist harassment​

Dead by Daylight developer Behaviour Interactive has removed unlockable masks for the Leatherface killer used by some players for racist harassment.

Known as The Cannibal in the game, Leatherface (from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films) players can unlock masks to wear based on the game's playable survivors - just like the film character.

One of those masks is of Black survivor Claudette Morel. A number of players campaigned to remove the mask from the game following racist harassment as it was used as blackface.

Behaviour announced the removal of the cosmetics in a developer update.

"Members of the community have shared their experiences with people targeting and harassing them while using some of these masks. These reports were disheartening to hear, and we absolutely condemn this behaviour.

"We are not comfortable having these masks in the game when they are used as a tool to spread hate. To that end, we will be removing The Cannibal's unlockable faces in this upcoming Mid-Chapter."

Anyone who has played as The Cannibal by the release of the Mid-Chapter will receive 6000 Iridescent Shards to compensate for the removal of the masks.

"We will not tolerate hateful activity and will continue to take every step necessary to protect the community," says Behaviour.

The update brings further changes, including revisions to grade rewards and tweaks to killer abilities. You can read the details here.

The Mid-Chapter update should be live today and arrives ahead of the game's next chapter, which is set to be based on cult Japanese horror Ringu.

Source: Eurogamer

Bragr

Banned
I don't understand, how can you use the mask as blackface?

And is this a one-time thing or a regular thing? are they saying that people used the "black mask" or whatever the hell and pretended to be black over the voice chat?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
limmy.jpg

Remember this gem?

BBC Digital Blackface

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
At some point, I understand why developers have to remove this and that because of four idiots:

First, four idiots are louder than 1M people who doesn' care.

Second because shitty media who use these people to make click, so expect to see articles like "People are accusing developer X of racism" despite these "people" are just few idiots. And then these articles are spreading over the internet because gaming journalism is all copy-pasta without verify the sources. Your reputation is ruined because a bunch of assoles.

Last edited:

Skifi28

This is slowly leading towards removing anything related to black people from games. Isn't this kind of the opposite of what we would want? Good job people, the fear of potential discrimination leads to actual discrimination.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
It's simple you only can peel off and wear the face of someone of the same ethnicity as you.
Let it be a lesson for all futur serial killer cannibal rednecks.

Next target is Buffalo "bigot" Bill who thinks hiding his male genitalia behind his legs makes him more of a female, when his girl-penis is such a strong and empowering expression of his femininity.

(edit : edited the nonsense to make it more nonsensical)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
With them threatening to rope in The Ring as their next IP to exploit, I'm wondering how they are going to handle having non-Asians control Sadako.

I mean, isn't that yellowface by the exact same rationale?

Or are they going to direct insult its Japanese origins by substituting the original long hair ghost with Samara, the westernized version?

cormack12

Gold Member
DBA2358E1ABD6A379C247BB049D81C9A3168D9D7

That's the offending item (probably).

571822-nbc.jpg

WTF? So now if a white person wears this dark mask, and people hurl slurs at them they remove the cosmetic. I, as a white person, equip this mask and then people call me a racial slur and then I complain. What the fuck is the world coming to.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

""Members of the community have shared their experiences with people targeting and harassing them while using some of these masks. These reports were disheartening to hear, and we absolutely condemn this behaviour."

So, it's less of an issue with the mask just existing, and more so the fact that people were using the mask while doing and saying shitty things. Can't say I'm surprised.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
There's always a certain minority group of the population that are bat shit crazy, it's to be expected. However, the surprising part is watching some of the companies bending over because of a few complaints from the crazies. It's 2022, the woke "wave" is basically settled, most people are already immune and tired of this shit. If people are harassing others, mask or no mask, deal with those individuals, simple as that.

MiguelItUp

There's always a certain minority group of the population that are bat shit crazy, it's to be expected. However, the surprising part is watching some of the companies bending over because of a few complaints from the crazies. It's 2022, the woke "wave" is basically settled, most people are already immune and tired of this shit. If people are harassing others, mask or no mask, deal with those individuals, simple as that.
Exactly. I think that's the biggest issue here. I didn't even know Leatherface had that ability as I don't care for DBD, that's actually really cool. Now it sucks to know it's completely removed because of some shitty people. Ban the shitty people, be done with it, and keep the cool shit.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I have no problem with this. Hopefully they removed all makes because removing the mask of just the black character is bad optics.

Edit: "We are not comfortable having these masks in the game.." lol hindsight 20/20

Last edited:
So now Leatherface is only allowed to kill, rip out and wear the face of white men?!

That's not racist at all...

giphy.gif

"There is no such thing as racism against white people. Only white people can be racist." This has been getting hammered into people's heads all over the place. My sister-in-law's workplace is government-funded and in the middle of a conversation on this topic she interrupted to tell us that only we could be racist.

I wonder how many of the people who complained were white people with blue hair? My guess is 100% of them.

The career offended. They make a living looking for things they believe should offend others and point it out on social media to all the other sad fucks that also want to feel bad for the actions of long-dead people. Politicians and soul-less people latch on to this and promote it so they can amass "I'm not racist" points and promote actual hate groups disguised as a cause.

Top Bottom