• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Be a "good gamer" - as in saintly

jedimike

Penny Arcade is hosting their annual Child's Play Charity. It's a chance for you to donate games or money to those less fortunate than you. The game's aren't for your poor cousin Freddy who's Mom is on wellfare. They go to sick kids in a kids hospital of your choice. These kids spend incredible amounts of time in hospitals with little to do. Games give them a chance to escape and also keeps them occupied while they are waiting for the doctor, test, treatment, result, etc.

Also kobunheat has an auction going for some cool gaming swag. All money will go to Child's Play.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8231723225

Help put gaming in a positive spotlight.

cplogo.jpg

FFunit

Banned
I'd love to send those kids some games, but I got 3 million africans who dont have anything to eat on the other hand. Decisions decisions....

edit: to get more serious....If that hospital wasnt in America, it would have been easier for me to send them. So i'll pass.

hooo

boooy
http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

A link for the lazy. It looks like they accept paypal and have some sort of purchase system set up through amazon. It doesn't look like there are all that many hospitals doing this, but I'm rather happy to see that one local to me is taking part.

GhaleonEB

hooo said:
http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

A link for the lazy. It looks like they accept paypal and have some sort of purchase system set up through amazon. It doesn't look like there are all that many hospitals doing this, but I'm rather happy to see that one local to me is taking part.

They've been branching out each year. The first year (2003) it was only for the Seattle Children's hospital, near where the PA guys live. Last year they branched it out to five in the US, and now it's more with some in Canada as well.

I'll donate some kids games this year. For some reason (perhaps because I have two young daughters) this charity gets me all worked up each year. It's a good thing Gabe and Tycho are doing. Read some of the letters from parents on the site, it's moving.

FFunit said:
edit: to get more serious....If that hospital wasnt in America, it would have been easier for me to send them. So i'll pass.

You know, I almost never resort to personal attacks, but you're a dick.

Leatherface

FFunit said:
I'd love to send those kids some games, but I got 3 million africans who dont have anything to eat on the other hand. Decisions decisions....

!!? what what?!! =O

FFunit

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
You know, I almost never resort to personal attacks, but you're a dick.

what the fuck idiot. Didnt you understand me? I dont live in America and therefor sending games from Europe ALL OVER to America is a bit hard for me. Fuckin idiot.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
FFunit said:
what the fuck idiot. Didnt you understand me? I dont live in America and therefor sending games from Europe ALL OVER to America is a bit hard for me. Fuckin idiot.

You didn't specify. It's a shame you had to resort to name calling.

Raiden

Banned
FFunit said:

Come on cant really blame him, he just thought you said you didnt want to give them your games because they are ''american'' just like i thought.

With all this american hate going on these days :p

FFunit

Banned
duderon said:
You didn't specify. It's a shame you had to resort to name calling.

i only resorted to flaming because this isnt the first time this guy acts all stupid on me. It got annoying.

Nothing is sent. It is all via Amazon wishlists, so all you do is click on those, choose what you want to send to which hospital, and checkout online. That's it.

Sure, there are more pressing necessities in the world, but hey, it's still a damn good cause, and it's an easy way to take some kids minds off pain.

Wired

Great job guys, turning this thread in to a name calling flamefest like every other thread on the forum.

mCACGj

I remember reading in Game Over that kids who played video games, more specifically at the time the NES(I think Nintendo even made a special controller or something to accomodate certain handicaps), needed a significantly less amount of pain killers than those who didnt.

I really think this is a good cause and I plan on chipping in.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
As much flak as the PA guys get around here, you have to admit they are good guys. I've been donating to this each year since 2003 and if you have never given to a charity (especially one helping children) then give it a shot. You'll be amazed how good you feel.

P.S. -- FFunit: Do us all a favor and go back to lurking.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Diomedeskun said:
Nothing is sent. It is all via Amazon wishlists, so all you do is click on those, choose what you want to send to which hospital, and checkout online. That's it.

I'm stunned that it took this long for this message to be posted. No one has to do ANYTHING. Just buy the item of your choice from the hospital's amazon wishlist, and it'll be sent to them automatically. Everything from $100+ systems to $5 children's books is needed.

FFunit

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
FFunit
It Came From GameFAQs

:lol And you say those at GAF have an elitest attitude. STOP PROVING US RIGHT!

:lol omg! im so humiliated because you put my tag in your post! LOL. me r from gaemfaqs lolol. You are a dumb idiot who have a stereotype image for gamefaqs. Grow up and learn that not the whole site is invested with morons.

nerd.

FFunit said:
:lol omg! im so humiliated because you put my tag in your post! LOL. me r from gaemfaqs lolol. You are a dumb idiot who have a stereotype image for gamefaqs. Grow up and learn that not the whole site is invested with morons.

nerd.

"invested with morons" lolz. How about you show everyone how grown up you are by walking away from this trivial argument in a thread with subject matter that isn't so trivial.

Himuro, thanks for posting that letter; it convinced me to donate a little something to this very worthy cause :).

jedimike

I think everyone should edit their posts... no need for name calling and flaming. Obviously FFunit made a mistake. The link clearly shows that there are multiple hospitals and even one a bit closer to your home. Is this the most worthwhile cause in the whole world? Probably not, but I'm sure it is important to the kids stuck in these hospitals. Also, it gives gamers a chance to show that we are better than the image typically portrayed of us. Although, from reading some of the comments in this thread, perhaps we are not.

The donations do not need to be in the form of $100 game systems or $50 games. The Amazon items listed are as little as $5. You could also choose to send money through paypal with no minimum requirement.

Wow, well this one certainly took the wrong direction. Sorry about that. Really thought he was saying that he wasn't going to donate over nationality. Once again, sorry about the derail.

Amir0x

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
Wow, well this one certainly took the wrong direction. Sorry about that. Really thought he was saying that he wasn't going to donate over nationality. Once again, sorry about the derail.

Don't feel sorry, although it was a mistake FFUnit was a total asshole about it.

Anyway, Child's Play is a worthwhile charity for this time of year. I never feel bad about donating.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
ManDudeChild said:
I really don't see how you could think it is your fault. As Amir0x said...Even if you didn't understand what he wrote the way he meant it, he was still being a serious dick.

What many people don't realize is that sick/dying children aren't going through it alone. Many times families are torn apart in the process. Divorce and bankruptcy are all too common in these situations. Any little bit you can afford helps. Even the Uno cards! :)

And I haven't seen it mentioned yet you don't even have to buy the games or toys. You can make a straight cash donation via check or Paypal.

EDIT: Seems jedimike did mention a cash donation. Still...Restated for emphasis. :D

Top Bottom