• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC cites Deathloop as a strong candidate for GOTY for its uniqueness

GHG

Gold Member
The vast majority of those posts are in reference to the blatantly rigged game awards and modern gaming "journalists" who tend to be put up as judges. Context is important and when you remove that context, it just shows you have no ground to stand on.

Anyways, back on topic:

Deathloop is a decent enough game, but hardly GotY. So many better and more unique titles have come out this year. Then again, GotY in general means nothing as they are often rigged and run by tosspots.

Nope, no context missing. People are bitter an unquestionably great game ends up winning GOTY so they need to cling to any pathetic reason they can to discredit it. Banjo64 Banjo64 asked for examples so he got them.

Did you also get upset when Hades was winning GOTY awards left right and center last year or is that one ok?

The cream rises to the top, pathetic journalists or no pathetic journalists. Deathloop is one of the most unique games I've played since Obra Dinn (I'd also throw the outer wilds into this category), so if you have more unique games from this year alone then please name them.

The one main criticism I have for Deathloop is that it holds your hand too much and that it should force then player to figure things out and unpeel the layers themselves because a lot of the design on offer here is genius. It would feel a lot better if you were allowed a moment to think rather than a marker literally telling you how to piece things together and where to find the next piece of the puzzle.

Edit: ah the classic passive aggressive laughing emoji. Got to love it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nope, no context missing. People are bitter an unquestionably great game ends up winning GOTY so they need to cling to any pathetic reason they can to discredit it. Banjo64 Banjo64 asked for examples so he got them.

Did you also get upset when Hades was winning GOTY awards left right and center last year or is that one ok?

The cream rises to the top, pathetic journalists or no pathetic journalists.

Lol, so you are a fanboy. Gotcha. Makes it far more understandable why you instantly make this a pathetic and generic "haters gonna hate" post about TLOU2.

Upset? No. Heavily criticized the methods used? Yes. Funny thing, this has nothing to do with TLOU2 and everything to do with the blatantly corrupt GotY award system. Who they choose as judges, the methods applied for making and giving out these awards. Doesn't take a genius, mate.

Edit: Since you editted your post, here are a few games that I found to be a bit more unique in gameplay, presentation, and story:

Haven, Little Nightmares 2, Anodyne 2: Return to Dust, Ghosts n Goblins Ressurection, Narita Boy, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Nier Replicant, New Pokemon Snap, Returnal, Resident Evil Village, Famicom Detective Club 1 and 2, No More Heroes 3, Guilty Gear Strive, Ender Lillies: Quietis of the Knights, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, Cris Tales, Neo: The World Ends With You, Fuga: Melodies of Steel, Axiom Verge 2, Humankind, Psychonauts 2, and Tales of Arise - at least of the new games released this year that I have played and beaten/completed.

All of which offered more unique visuals, story telling, presentation for me.

If you enjoyed Deathloop, that is great! Glad you love it. However, you sad and pathetic need to dismiss any other opinion as being wrong is... well sad and pathetic. Do better.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Lol, so you are a fanboy. Gotcha. Makes it far more understandable why you instantly make this a pathetic and generic "haters gonna hate" post about TLOU2.

Upset? No. Heavily criticized the methods used? Yes. Funny thing, this has nothing to do with TLOU2 and everything to do with the blatantly corrupt GotY award system. Who they choose as judges, the methods applied for making and giving out these awards. Doesn't take a genius, mate.

?

I'm not even a big fan of TLOU games but that doesn't stop me calling it as I see it.

Hades won more GOTY awards than TLOU 2 did and it was also my personal GOTY so work that one out numbnuts.

GHG

Gold Member
Edit: Since you editted your post, here are a few games that I found to be a bit more unique in gameplay, presentation, and story:

Haven, Little Nightmares 2, Anodyne 2: Return to Dust, Ghosts n Goblins Ressurection, Narita Boy, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Nier Replicant, New Pokemon Snap, Returnal, Resident Evil Village, Famicom Detective Club 1 and 2, No More Heroes 3, Guilty Gear Strive, Ender Lillies: Quietis of the Knights, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, Cris Tales, Neo: The World Ends With You, Fuga: Melodies of Steel, Axiom Verge 2, Humankind, Psychonauts 2, and Tales of Arise - at least of the new games released this year that I have played and beaten/completed.

All of which offered more unique visuals, story telling, presentation for me.

If you enjoyed Deathloop, that is great! Glad you love it. However, you sad and pathetic need to dismiss any other opinion as being wrong is... well sad and pathetic. Do better.

None of those games you listed are unique. Pretty much all of them are polished takes on concepts already done before, hence your list is full of sequels. You've even included games that are remakes... Give me a break.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm dismissing people who are saying it's only being considered as GOTY because of the colour of the main characters in the game, not people who have legitimate criticisms of the game itself and won't consider it as GOTY on that basis. Take your head out of your arse.

Returnal is far more unique.... Deathloop looks like a reskin of Arkanes earlier games and that is my main issue with it.

If that's what you think then you probably haven't played it. It reuses a lot of the concepts from their previous games but it all comes together in a completely different way.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Every time people are mentioning word "Goty" it turns the conversation to fucking shit.

First of all, Goty isn't something like Oscars, there is no single entity doing this. It's combination of random people's thoughts. So it does not have any meaning whatsoever.

And if it's someone's Goty, so what? my Goty is 2020 Flight Sim on Xbox, maybe it will change when the FH5 come, but planes >>>>> cars for me. Do I care, that almost nobody share this seentiment?

Fuck no.

And also I am simple man, I just like that Arkane is getting the recognition they deserve. So keep at it BBC 👍🏻

squarealex

I'm sad for dev for Deathloop. Hoping some review will not using performance, blaxploitation/jazzy theme and black people (when they never mentionned race/politics on the game) for shitty propaganda far left

Last edited:

TrueLegend

I am sorry but I will call out everybody that says this deserves to be GOTY because of just uniqueness. Death Stranding was unique and was a product of way more effort than this. Also if we are talking about true objectivity what about Valheim. Truthfully, everybody knows why this site which has not much to do with gaming is writing this article.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
None of those games you listed are unique. Pretty much all of them are polished takes on concepts already done before, hence your list is full of sequels. You've even included games that are remakes... Give me a break.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm dismissing people who are saying it's only being considered as GOTY because of the colour of the main characters in the game, not people who have legitimate criticisms of the game itself and won't consider it as GOTY on that basis. Take your head out of your arse.

If that's what you think then you probably haven't played it. It reuses a lot of the concepts from their previous games but it all comes together in a completely different way.

I repeat:

Death Loop, for you, is a breath of fresh air. For me and others, it is just a simplified version of previous Arkane titles with nothing particularly unique that other titles haven't done before and better. Hence why some are making light hearted jokes/quips about the modern gaming "journalist" cabal, something your seem to ignore or misunderstood the context of.

Also, you actively continue to dismiss other people by saying "you haven't played it", handwaving any criticisms, ignoring context, and continue to use childish insults. Hence why I referred to your attitude with what I did, as that is how you are coming across.

GHG

Gold Member
I repeat:

Death Loop, for you, is a breath of fresh air. For me and others, it is just a simplified version of previous Arkane titles with nothing particularly unique that other titles haven't done before and better. Hence why some are making light hearted jokes/quips about the modern gaming "journalist" cabal, something your seem to ignore or misunderstood the context of.

Also, you actively continue to dismiss other people by saying "you haven't played it", handwaving any criticisms, ignoring context, and continue to use childish insults. Hence why I referred to your attitude with what I did, as that is how you are coming across.

Try again. The person in question hasn't played the game. There's legitimate criticism and then there's bullshit. Just like the fact that people who have played it will have legitimate reasons as to why it not might be their GOTY, not just "black protagonists lol lol lol".

I've also already said in this very thread it's not even my favourite Arkane game and that I'll outline my reasons why in detail at a later date. You're lost and it seems like you just wanted to jump to the defence of the "anti-woke" bandwagon without even thinking about whether it's appropriate to do so in this case.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ah yes, BBC, my number one site for gaming news.

I don't care about the protagonist's skin color. My issue with this game is that it looks just like a Dishonored-lite with a 60's coat of paint.
I haven't played the game, but based on what I've seen some powers are straight copy pasted from that game, it has no enemy variety, underwhelming bosses and poor enemy IA. Not to speak about the average graphics and poor optimization.

Maybe I'm missing something here but based on that I don't see this one deserving 10/10 scores. Don't care about the GOTY tho, that's just more marketing stuff that's never indicative of a game's worth.

mortal

Gold Member
How is it possible that even when an original game that features original/ non-race swamped black protagonists isn't woke, people still can't help themselves but fall into the same routines of bringing up identity politics and woke?

It's almost as if people have been conditioned to view every instance of this primarily through the lens of identity politics.

Freeman76

Its great but I have zero fucking idea whats going on in it, gameplay or story wise. Its certainly unique, so unique I cant wrap my head around any of it 🤣

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm hoping people and review like this game for what they purpose and not just "bc we played black people, 11/10"

why are you ‘hoping’ when you can just read the reviews that are out right now and see for yourself how many reviewed the game highly ‘just because there was a black lead’?

I’ll give you the answer for free. Zero

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Damn some journos are having some serious circlejerk over this game, it'll be interesting how it actually sells. For me this is definitely not a goty material, it feels like an inferior version of Dishonored (which would actually deserve goty awards).

PS. Yes, I've finished the game. I'm not basing my opinion on the trailers or simply on how the main characters look like.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
"Praise for black protagonists", like the idea of a black protag is something new
I don't think it has much to do with that, though it can't hurt.

The game is actually pretty unique in terms of the game's overall goal. It is definitely a game like none other that I've played.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The hype around deathloop is abit confusing for me

Reading IGN review theres nothing to suggest this game is a 10/10

The review felt flat and game doesnt reflect the score its more like 6-7/10

If youre read their review that was one of the weirdest 10/10 ever

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
The response to Deathloop is one of the strangest I've seen in gaming. I love Arkane and this is easily their least impressive modern project. To me it feels like a $39.99 release. Bugs aplenty, broken AI and completely lost in terms of narrative tone. I put about 4 hours into it and went back to Killing Floor 2.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Whenever a Sony game wins GOTY you don’t see comments like ‘it’s only ‘cos Ellie is a lesbian’ - utterly stupid comment.

The Woke Awards 2020

Well, GOT won the only award that matters, the Player's Voice. Let the people vote for all the awards next time, Geoff. We'll see how many people are actually into this woke BS.
This is just like most awards where all the smug critics/journalists who smell their own farts tell the little people how they should think."

TLOU2 is gonna sweep just so they can score some woke points, isn't it? lol

Whenever a Sony game gets good reviews or is considered to be one of the best games of the year, there are always people accusing Sony of paying reviewers.

Star-Lord

I really don’t get why people assume the game is getting good reviews because the protagonist is black. Has it not occurred to them it could because the game is actually pretty fucking good?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games like halo or cod going “unique” can be problematic but Deathloop could put away a lot of doubters.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Nothing wrong with him being black. Absolutely everything is wrong when "journalism" over-glorifies black characters. I have yet to play the game, so I can't comment on it but I do have to wonder why all the user reviews are average. On PC most are due to performance issues, but checking the PS5 metacritic, it's at 6. To be fair, it's a very dry year so in the triple A market, Colt did not really have much to go against but one may wonder.
Play the game dude. The game itself is very unique.

It's hard for me to explain it in exact terms, as I haven't been through the whole game yet, but I like the mystery the game starts with. It's kinda like Returnal I'd imagine in the beginning, where she has little idea what's going on but you figure out the reason the DEathloop exists and why this woman is constantly trying to kill you.

Unlike Returnal, there is a way you can keep your weapons and perks. There is an infusion system that allows the player to spend "Residuum" to be able to choose what weapons and perks to keep. Also you cannot finish the game unless you can kill all 8 visionaries in one loop, which lasts one whole day. Each time you go out on the field and return to the tunnels part of the day goes by. So you start at dawn, then noon, then afternoon, then night. After night the day starts over and any weapons, trinkets or "slabs" you've collected are lost, only keeping the stuff you infused. Each visionary has an associated power, like the ability to teleport, berserk mode, invisibility etc. Killing those visionaries multiple times upgrades their respective perk.

Another not wholly unique but interesting thing is that technically the game is multiplayer. Like Dark Souls, people can play as Juliana and invade your game to stop you from breaking the loop.

There's more I could discuss, but really if you're on the fence I think you should get it.

For me, I give the game a solid 8.5. I think the AI could be smarter, the guns could be a bit more interesting and the graphics could be a bit better, but the game isn't a 6 by any means. I guess everybody has an opinion but I don't see metacritic as being a very good measure of how any game is. If you place all your trust in that site, then you will ultimately miss out on some real gems.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This game isn’t woke. Not in the slightest. It’s super violent, sweary as fuck, doesn’t define characters by their race at all, doesn’t push any political agenda whatsoever.

Some of you really need to try a game before you scream WOKE! Because you just end up sounding like racist little shit heads.

You all sound just like puritanical religious zealots condemning movies and TV for sex and violence without even watching them.

Seriously, play the game. You’ll be fucking embarrassed by your own ignorance, and the fact you’ve made yourself sound racist.

Between this shit and the console warriors who are distraught that Sony and MS essentially share the success of this game, Deathloop is getting a really bad representation.

Put your bullshit politics and warring aside, and just play a fucking great game.

This is supposed to be a gaming forum after all.

Last edited:

april6e

Returnal is even more unique than Deathloop though.

Don't get me wrong, Deathloop has been incredible so far. But the game lacks enemy/level variety while Returnal excels in every area except for the lack of character development.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Are you kidding? With Horizon: Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok AND GT7 all coming out this year !? No way.

..... I'm sorry what was that?? All 3 of them!? Surely not all 3 of them!?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom