• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC cites Deathloop as a strong candidate for GOTY for its uniqueness

Marty-McFly

Banned
With sites that have a lot of pull like Gamespot and IGN giving the game a perfect 10, it looks like we have a GOTY frontrunner right now. No game is perfect, but the uniqueness of the game and depth of the gameplay really set it apart from the crowd this year.

In a year where exclusive releases for the Playstation 5 have been relatively few and far between Sony will be thankful this title, that blends 1993 movie Groundhog Day and 2016 video game Hitman, has seemingly saved the day.

IGN's Matt Purslow found the approach similarly refreshing. "I've never played a game like Deathloop before. More accurately, I've played a lot of games that are a little bit like it... but never anything that fits so many interesting ideas together to create something so fascinatingly unique.

More at the jump

Last edited:
yeah-no.gif

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Played the game, but it doesn't deserve the 10/10 reviews, I would give it between 8.5-9/10.
It was fun and unique but it has some graphical glitches and the AI can be smarter imo.

I do like that you actually have an option to keep your weapons and powers, its feels rewarding compared to Returnal.
Online PVP could be good or very annoying, depends on my playthrough.

I believe it has a high chance to win GOTY since there is not alot competition this year.

Last edited:
I'll buy it on PC when it's 20 bucks tops and has received a bunch of patches. Arkane games on the Avoid Engine are pure shit on PC (and just look at that unplayable FOV the PS5 version is stuck with).

The game looks interesting enough, but I've had it with Arkane's technical ineptitude. Their games always suck arse at launch.

I don't see a GOTY here when there's so many technically competent games around.

Markio128

I was a little surprised at the 10/10 reviews. These sorts of games names to be either smooth 30fps or smooth 60fps and this game is neither. It spoils the experience in my opinion. I’m waiting for a patch on PS5 before I play in earnest.

cormack12

Gold Member
Honestly I feel this year given all the high profile days should really be an appreciation of how some smaller indies have largely carried the gaming community. Some of them aren't exactly my cup of tea but I think the industry needs to recognise that instead of being lazy and chucking goty at Returnal, Deathloop or one of the popular remakes. Games like Valheim, Maquette, It Takes Two, The Ascent I'm thinking of. And I say that as a huge fan of Housemarque titles, and the Dishonored series.

Last edited:

Brofist

I haven't played it but the fact that the gameplay seems to be the standout point before graphics or awesome cinematic movie qualities would make me happy if it were to come from out of nowhere and be the GotY.

JumpMan1981

Banned
Colt’s a great character. What’s wrong with him being black?

Have you even played the game?
Sad days when people have become so "anti-woke" that any character that can even be slightly perceived as being there for diversity gets frowned upon.

Colt fits the style and design of Deathloop perfectly. 100%.

Anybody having a moan about this is way off target.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sad days when people have become so "anti-woke" that any character that can even be slightly perceived as being there for diversity gets frowned upon.

Colt fits the style and design of Deathloop perfectly. 100%.

Anybody having a moan about this is way off target.

I very much doubt that dude, or any of the others who are complaining about Colt, have even played the game. I have… and it just makes them sound like they're being super racist.

ZywyPL

Banned
Well it does have a chance given how dry the year was in terms of AAA games, but personally I think this year will belong to FH5.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Colt’s a great character. What’s wrong with him being black?

Have you even played the game?

Nothing wrong with him being black. Absolutely everything is wrong when "journalism" over-glorifies black characters. I have yet to play the game, so I can't comment on it but I do have to wonder why all the user reviews are average. On PC most are due to performance issues, but checking the PS5 metacritic, it's at 6. To be fair, it's a very dry year so in the triple A market, Colt did not really have much to go against but one may wonder.

MonarchJT

Banned
if it's not Sony 3d action cinematic adventure will never win that Geoff Keighley fan based award

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
Nothing wrong with him being black. Absolutely everything is wrong when "journalism" over-glorifies black characters. I have yet to play the game, so I can't comment on it but I do have to wonder why all the user reviews are average. On PC most are due to performance issues, but checking the PS5 metacritic, it's at 6. To be fair, it's a very dry year so in the triple A market, Colt did not really have much to go against but one may wonder.
They aren't over glorifying though.
The game is excellent regardless of the the protagonist.
The games protagonist is great though and suits the games style and design and elevates the whole thing.

Not everything in gaming needs to become a battleground in some culture war.

Sometimes a developer just gets it right without any deliberate attempt to be "woke" or whatever.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
They aren't over glorifying though.
The game is excellent regardless of the the protagonist.
The games protagonist is great though and suits the games style and design and elevates the whole thing.

Not everything in gaming needs to become a battleground in some culture war.

Sometimes a developer just gets it right without any deliberate attempt to be "woke" or whatever.

So he's great because he's great. Gotcha.

JumpMan1981

Banned
Honestly I feel this year given all the high profile days should really be an appreciation of how some smaller indies have largely carried the gaming community. Some of them aren't exactly my cup of tea but I think the industry needs to recognise that instead of being lazy and chucking goty at Returnal, Deathloop or one of the popular remakes. Games like Valheim, Maquette, It Takes Two, The Ascent I'm thinking of. And I say that as a huge fan of Housemarque titles, and the Dishonored series.
I think what Deathloop and Returnal represent is some ideas that might be mostly confined to indies starting to make their way into more mainstream games. At the same time enthusiasm for massive open world stuff might be on the decline as games like Cyberpunk flop.

I agree though that indies are largely overlooked by a lot of the community.

Gaming media can be bad for it too as they will often only cover an indie properly AFTER it has become a hit and found an audience. Where on the other hand they will dedicate months of hype to releases from bigger publishers. Think of all the time they are giving to Farcry 6 when basically everyone already knows what it will be like.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Whiner one : it only wins because there's black people in it.

Whiner two: it should not win because Microsoft owns Bethesda now.

Whiner 3: Where's my tranny?!

Some cold facts are spitting in here.

Yes, games tends to have a bigger chance of Oscar, GOTY and all that crap because there's black people or lbgthf people in it.

Yes, people gets anti woke and sees racism everywhere, because that's what Hollywood does.

The idiots behind this makes everyone racist, because now you can only get an Oscar if one of the main character are black or women - just not anything white man.

Making criteria as this is racist as hell, and a disadvantage for talrnteted people regard color or sex.

When a certain criteria like a black man or a woman is in needs to get a reward, it really ruins the talent of colored people, because people might think oh wow you only got that because of your color.

This is harassment over talentet people, no matter black or white, getting overshadowed by racist criteria.

To all woke journal's and woke Hollywood :
Dj Khaled Congratulations GIF

GHG

Gold Member
Whenever a Sony game wins GOTY you don’t see comments like ‘it’s only ‘cos Ellie is a lesbian’ - utterly stupid comment.

I’ve never seen one comment like that, be cool if you could link just one.

No?:

It does get you right in the feels from the very opening moments. I'm loving it so far, it's 3:30 AM, I'm deliriously tired but I can't quit playing the damn game. Impressive for someone that hates 2D Platformers.

I agree it's surely a GOTY contender, but sadly it won't win - no lesbians

If the protagonist was a lesbian with multicolour hair, the Zombies just country hicks and the campaign was changed to be eco-warrior focused it would be GOTY across the board. Male, straight protagonist? No. No. No.

Black Trans Lives Matters, Last of Us 2 gonna win Goty, Abby voice actress won the award. Officially a shit show, but I cant stop laughing.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Its remakes of Uncharted 1-4 for PS5. Nathan Drake is going to come out as trans in the first game and Sully will be the love interest. Elaina drowns during the wave runner river segment and is replaced by Nadine who is having an affair with Chloe who struggles with her gender identity.

SHOCKING REVELATIONS!!@!@#!#@# SO GOOD WRITING! !(#U(!U#_( GOTY 2022!@#!$$$!

There's a lot more of you care to look as well.

Hugare

Game was overhyped, but its still great and definitely a GOTY contender in my book.

Havent finished it yet but have enjoyed Returnal and Psychonauts more than Deathloop. One of them will probably be my GOTY.

I dont believe on a conspiracy that gaming media have hyped the game because "black protagonist". If that was the case, Prey / Mirrors Edge Catalyst would have gotten amazing scores by having an asian protagonist.

The game is really, really smartly designed. How the story unfolds bit by bit, how each level changes by the time of day, the many different systems working in harmony ...

Theres nothing quite like it out there, its very unique.

Gonna go out on a limb, here: is the protagonist black?

Some of you are pathetic

Everyone knows that you are pretending.

You're looking like a fool

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
BBC is doing game reviews now?
No, they rather use video games (and everything else) to do political propaganda and stir up controversies.

Completely useless article by somebody who clearly doesn't even play video games and is only working towards filling the mandated woke quota for the week.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying the game is trying to be woke by having a black protagonist. Only talking about the BBC article.

Last edited:

Hugare

Yeah, play the fucking game first before making assumptions then

Reviews are average even on PS5 because its an Arkane immersive sim, and people maybe were expecting something different. Many Aekane games dont sell, and most people dont "get them". Prey is loved by many, but its scores were terrible and sold like shit.

Its better than Prey and even a little better than Dishonored, imo.

About Colt: by far the best character Arkane has ever created and the best of the year.

Smart,funny, believable. If he doesnt win Best Character / Voice acting at TGA, he was robbed.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

Reviews are average even on PS5 because its an Arkane immersive sim, and people maybe were expecting something different. Many Aekane games dont sell, and most people dont "get them". Prey is loved by many, but its scores were terrible and sold like shit.

About Colt: by far the best character Arkane has ever created and the best of the year.

Smart,funny, believable. If he doesnt win Best Character / Voice acting at TGA, he was robbed.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Agreed, Deathloop might be Arkane's best game to date.

GHG

Gold Member

While I'd still say Prey is better overall I'm absolutely loving my time with Deathloop so far. I'll probably do a write up in the OT once I'm done with the game but this is some of Arkane's best work.

I'll say this though, people who think it's being talked about as GOTY because of the main characters being black are equally as moronic as those who are throwing it into the GOTY discussion with that being one of the considerations.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No?:

There's a lot more of you care to look as well.

The vast majority of those posts are in reference to the blatantly rigged game awards and modern gaming "journalists" who tend to be put up as judges. Context is important and when you remove that context, it just shows you have no ground to stand on.

Anyways, back on topic:

Deathloop is a decent enough game, but hardly GotY. So many better and more unique titles have come out this year. Then again, GotY in general means nothing as they are often rigged and run by tosspots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom