• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads Review Thread

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Finished it in 4 hours. Some levels were a bit tough, but overall a fun game with good humor for a fair price. Would rate it 8/10. Don't get all the hate, but it's probably from people who didn't play it and never will.
Damn, 4 hours? Then I must be approaching the final act because I'd swear I'm over 4 hours already.

Some parts are tough indeed and I get quite angry at times. The non-fighting levels especially, even at normal difficulty can be relentless and I can't see a young player or somebody used to most modern games getting through them. Some parts really require fast thinking and quick reactions. Feels a bit punishing at times but then I remember BT was always about kicking your ass (I didn't play the previous games but they're famous for their difficulty).

I'm enjoying it nonetheless. A very quirky patchwork of several different genres, a bit unfocused maybe, but interesting. And the cutscenes are fun imo.

turtlepowa

Banned
Damn, 4 hours? Then I must be approaching the final act because I'd swear I'm over 4 hours already.

Some parts are tough indeed and I get quite angry at times. The non-fighting levels especially, even at normal difficulty can be relentless and I can't see a young player or somebody used to most modern games getting through them. Some parts really require fast thinking and quick reactions. Feels a bit punishing at times but then I remember BT was always about kicking your ass (I didn't play the previous games but they're famous for their difficulty).

I'm enjoying it nonetheless. A very quirky patchwork of several different genres, a bit unfocused maybe, but interesting. And the cutscenes are fun imo.
You will get the time once you finished it. The old Battletaods was merciless. It was in the Rare Replay for Xbox One and even with savegames and rewind option i struggled to beat it. I don't even want to know how many kids got this on christmas and couldn't even beat level 2 out of 13.

It took me 6.5 hours I think.

teezzy

Banned
My friend is obsessed with it. He must be one in a million who holds a huge nostalgic flame for Battletoads.

It's a fun time overall. It lives up to the IP, which is fine and dandy by me.

Would've rather had more Killer Instinct instead.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I love how 7/10 is a bad score LOL.

We have been conditioned by ABCDF system or something. 7/10 is a solid game IMO. Even 6/10 means good but can be improved.
modern day the review score 7 is more like a 4 / 10 :pie_roffles:

your game scored an 8? better put some effort in next time

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Problem is, there's just too many damn options now.

Why waste your time on a 7 when there's so many 8, 9, 10 experiences out there? GaaS run concurrently with new releases.

It makes sense

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Journey

Banned
IGN are so ridiculously pro bias these days.... 'oh a working game on Xbox..... 8/10'

Literally no credibility... how many times will they mention Game Pass on Beyond! this week?
The reviews for Xbox are almost double the amount so obviously it makes sense to quote them as opposed to ones for PC. The ratings for PC are already falling after couple more reviews, down to 73 now. Not so much of a joke, am I? lol.
When the meta score settles around 7.5, you’re going to be the one looking biased and frankly silly for getting so invested in a review of a game that’s on a platform you don’t care about, it’s like you want these games to fail just because they’re on Xbox, it’s really pathetic. We wouldn’t be having the same discussion if this was on the Nintendo Switch or PS4, in fact, if a beloved Sony or Nintendo franchise scored unfavorably, there will be threads dedicated to just defending the game, but the exact opposite happens with Xbox games, folks come into the actual review thread to bash Xbox, Phil and Xbox fans, we've seen it first hand.

Some comments have aged better than others. :goog_unsure:

I can’t finish it the fighting aspects are enjoyable, it thrives best there, the rest is either monotonous or borderline a farce, those mini games and qte aspects drag on way too much and as Metro Gamecentral said in their review, the devs are clearly taking the piss with them and not in a good way.

I’ll give it a 7/10 for the fighting , which is fun and satisfying, the rest was fucking shite and really put a downer on it for me particularly the escaping the enema part, I just give up, it goes on and on.

Belmonte

After the initial shock, the art grew on me also. I never thought it was bad , but it is very different of what I was expecting.

Looking forward to play it when I'm done with River City Girls and Streets of Rage 4!

Problem is, there's just too many damn options now.

Why waste your time on a 7 when there's so many 8, 9, 10 experiences out there? GaaS run concurrently with new releases.

It makes sense

What is a 5 to you might be an 8 to someone else. What you consider a 10 might not even interest someone else.

Crackdown 3 is a great example of this. I absolutely had a blast with the game. While everyone was shitting on the game for looking lackluster I was busy flying around the map collecting orbs listening to Terry Crews screaming random shit. It was a lot of fun. I think it settled on a 60 Metacritic, but to me it was better than that. I fully completed the game and had fun the whole time.

Rage 2 (73 MC) and ReCore (63 MC) are other good examples. I loved the games, both offered a lot of mobility options, fast moving gameplay, interesting vehicle options and at least on PC they both looked pretty good. I'd rate both higher than their MC ratings.

On the other end of the Spectrum, there are a lot of decently rated games on MC that didn't click with me.

To me the new Battletoads is a 4. I don't like it, but I can totally understand why others would enjoy it. If you're really into beat-em-ups your options are fairly limited in the first place so this game will be on your list to at least try.

teezzy

Banned
What is a 5 to you might be an 8 to someone else. What you consider a 10 might not even interest someone else.

Crackdown 3 is a great example of this. I absolutely had a blast with the game. While everyone was shitting on the game for looking lackluster I was busy flying around the map collecting orbs listening to Terry Crews screaming random shit. It was a lot of fun. I think it settled on a 60 Metacritic, but to me it was better than that. I fully completed the game and had fun the whole time.

Rage 2 (73 MC) and ReCore (63 MC) are other good examples. I loved the games, both offered a lot of mobility options, fast moving gameplay, interesting vehicle options and at least on PC they both looked pretty good. I'd rate both higher than their MC ratings.

On the other end of the Spectrum, there are a lot of decently rated games on MC that didn't click with me.

To me the new Battletoads is a 4. I don't like it, but I can totally understand why others would enjoy it. If you're really into beat-em-ups your options are fairly limited in the first place so this game will be on your list to at least try.

Fair point.

You're preaching to the choir. You're talking to a guy who 100%'d Pac-Man's Ghostly Adventures on Wii U of all things. I also adore PN03 on GCN.

Divisive titles are almost always something interesting and often spark my curiosity more than beloved critical darlings.

I still stand by my point though
I'm stubborn... like a donkey. Lol

Good post, it’s all subjective mate

Meowzers

tenor.gif

YellowNegligibleAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif
Laugh it up old man. It's not bad. Though being 33 myself, I realise Con Air has memes galore.

DavJay

Just played it and wow it sucked... didn’t expect it to be so bad. Way too many mechanics and it just isn’t fun. The original was simply and felt fluid. This is just all over the place. There’s no redeeming quality to it all. My review. Skip even if you are a game pass subscriber.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
OMG you guys I downloaded this because of all the drama here and it's so crap. I struggled to finish the first level, I was so bored. Killed the pig and I'm done forever.

Seriously you guys were using this for console war and comparing it with Days Gone??? 19gb of shit. Deleted.

lock2k

Banned
I'll give my honest review as I just completed it.

It started as a fun brawler, I really enjoyed the first parts. I didn't even mind the artstyle at first, it looked cartoonish and moved fluidly. But then, it strated trying to be so many things and it just wasn't interesting. The brawlers parts were a good beat-em-up game, the puzzles were uninspired, the shmups parts were generic as fuck and didn't control like what I think a shmup should (using the right analog to shoot is an abomination for old schoool smhup fans like me, it just doesn't feel right, but ok, they were fun-ish), then came the platforming parts with that red alien... so uninspired, it felt like a chore, really... and the parts where they had the icy rails, and the other rails, they tried to be a Donkey Kong Country-esque mine type of level but it just wasn't fun. I felt that cutting the tips of my fingers should be more fun than playing these particular levels. As for the cartoons parts, some were interesting, some were cringy as fuck, and I can't get over the queen's visuals and this:

Why shit on the fanbase that liked the game as it was? I really don't understand this. Loukia (tumblr designer) can suck a forest of cocks for this. I mean, Streets of Rage 4 was fire and Sega wasn't afraid of boobs at all (praise Blaze - her redesign was fucking great). Fuck this agenda, seriously, fuck this, and as Mr. T would say "I pity the fool" who justify this SJW crap.

The positive side: I played the game and my daughter really loved the Toads, she didn't pay attention to anything on the story, it's just that she is a huge Ninja Turtles fan and anything involving anthro animals who fight is automatically loved by her.

Another thing, the game is EASY AS FUCK, and Battletoads should be hard as balls and gritty.

Also, lack of online? Fuck that.

So, 5 out of 10. It was regular, could have been incredible.

Top Bottom