• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletoads E3 2019 gameplay trailer

Mista

Banned

Publisher Microsoft and developer DLaLa Studios debuted the first gameplay trailer for Battletoads during the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference. A release date was not announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via Microsoft:
About

The Battletoads are back! Rash, Zitz and Pimple are returning to steal the spotlight as they smash, stomp and drill their way through an all-new action-packed adventure of choreographed chaos. Couch co-op may never be the same again, as this new Battletoads provides an epic brawl through exciting challenges and hordes of enemies.

Up to three players through the thrill of couch co-op will take control of the Battletoads and team up to storm through wild and unpredictable stages with only one rule – expect the unexpected. Teamwork makes the dream work in a drop-in, drop-out gameplay blast, filled with over-the-top combat that anyone can enjoy, but only a True ‘Toad can master.

Key Features

• A Classic Rare IP for a New Generation – The latest instalment in a series which began as a 1991 retro cult classic, Rare’s Battletoads reintroduces Rash, Zitz and Pimple on the Xbox One family of devices. Featuring an irreverent sense of humor, a rich hand-drawn art style and accessible, couch co-op action gameplay, the Battletoads are back for an all-new adventure.
  • Dynamic, Action-Packed Gameplay – A fast, frantic side-scrolling brawler in the style of the beloved original game, Battletoads offers retro-inspired fun with all-new gameplay mechanics. Armed with an array of morph attacks which see the Battletoads’ limbs transform into maces, drill bits and more to deliver devastating finishing moves, Rash, Zitz and Pimple each offer a unique gameplay style that mesh together in eclectic ways.
  • Better Together – With support for up to three players in couch co-op, players can work together to control the three Battletoads in intense, side-scrolling action. Team up to execute an array of morph attacks and take advantage of the unique strengths of Rash, Zitz and Pimple to overcome progressively challenging obstacles.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

Hmmmm....not a big fan of the art style personally. Was kind of hoping it would look like the recent Killer Instinct, but still be a 2D brawler like the old games. When they put a Battletoad in KI, I actually rather liked the look they went for. Was hoping for a visual style like that, plus the violence of the arcade game:

Last edited:

Stuart360

2D graphcis dont seem to really work at high resolution. They come off looking too clean. Streets of Rage 4 has the same problem.

Petrae

Got that same hideous style Streets of Rage 4 has. What is wrong with these developers?

I agree with this. I don’t think either game looks very appealing. Battletoads, in my view, should have gone the Mega Man 9/10 route and back to its 8-bit style roots.

If the gameplay doesn’t really come through, in both cases, I can’t see myself buying either one and would instead keep sticking with the source material.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im not a fan of the designs. plus the super hot evil space babe is absent.

the toads look weird. i don't like this art design. the NES and Gameboy games were alright (i had the GB one) and the animated look of the characters was a big part of the appeal. i mean this is still 2D animation, which is ok, but just, ugg, they are uggo.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Even though the look is so different from what I envisioned, the style quickly grew on me. It isn't some lame canned skeletal-based animation with art pasted into it, and I like the amount of personality shown in the actions and character design.

Still, some of the harsh reactions in this thread are giving me bad flashbacks of the insane anonymous 'demands' people were sending me during my old M.U.G.E.N sprite animating days. :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Hey look everyone

OG7LJWW.png

it's the...Dark...Queen

XKjinGs.png

pLdR76q.jpg

rnyKO4H.jpg

CkncMIQ.jpg

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Hey look everyone

OG7LJWW.png

it's the...Dark...Queen

XKjinGs.png

pLdR76q.jpg

rnyKO4H.jpg

CkncMIQ.jpg

I thought I saw a flash of her for a second there - Thanks for the screen capture! :)

(Athough, wow...they sure went safe on her redesign though. Maybe it's her daughter, or a prequel?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom