• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield and COD are horrible this year and fans hate them, so which upcoming shooters might take advantage of this situation?

Ev1L AuRoN

I started to play Battlefield 1 again, I didn't give this game a chance when it came out. Man, what a fun game, I really have to thank Activision for Banning me for no reason and prompt me to go look elsewhere.

Zoanoid33

Insurgency and Hell Let Loose are currently the only tactical/realistic games on console right now. Everything else just feels like a carbon copy arcade shooter.

A Battlefield style game that could combine squad systems from Hell Let Loose and realistic weapons/mechanics from Escape From Tarkov would be a big hit IMO.

ByWatterson

COD is great this year. And it sold gangbusters again, even if less than in previous years.

I wouldn't lump it in with a completely broken game.

At this point, I don't anything can kill Call of Duty. It could be a literal pile of Bobby Kotick's shit in a PlayStation case and people would buy it every single year, guaranteed.

tr1p1ex

@Nobody_Important
  • Infinitely better control than any other console shooter. Best in class gyro aiming.
  • Best mobility options of any console shooter. Run, jump, stealth anywhere with ink, wall run, super jump to allies on the map or to your base, etc.
  • Best campaign gameplay of any console shooter. Proper boss fights and platforming. Other campaigns probably have more graphical spectacle, but in terms of actual gameplay it's no contest. When's the last time you even saw a decent boss fight in a shooter? Halo's bosses are not bad, but not on the level of Splatoon.
  • Best OST of any shooter. Not even close.
  • Best art style of any shooter. Not even close.
  • Fantastic horde mode / co-op mode. The best one basically.
  • Multiple ranked modes and unranked modes for multiplayer.
  • Turf war is a unique mode exclusive to Splatoon, and not present in any other shooters.
  • Free updates to maps, weapons and cosmetics for a year along with specialized splatfest events. Last game also had 1 piece of paid DLC; a well done full expansion with no micro-transactions.
Just on the first bullet point alone, it should never be laughed at. But tons of people who laugh at the series haven't tried it, or ironically find gyro too difficult to use. Ironic, considering the implication is always that it's some shooter for babies, when it's actually more complex than they can even play apparently.

But for the record, I don't think any COD or Battlefield fans will ever gravitate to Splatoon. Their loss.

You forgot most polished shooter on the market.

btw I wouldn't doubt if they try to do sort of take on BR.

Last edited:

EDMIX

BF2042 is of less interest to fans (though still in the top 50 on Xbox), but saying fans aren't interest in COD is just demonstrably false: it is the number 2 game on Xbox. Now I'm not sure how the SKU works for this, and this might just be Warzone with the latest update. However Vanguard on its own comes in at 11 (again on Xbox).

. . .I get people REALLY wanting games they don't have any interest in dying, but it honestly doesn't look like the case.

no remember, its doooooooomz /s lol

This is the dumbest shit I read all year, its always this deep concern like "man Call Of Duty ONLY sold 27 million and not 32 million....CONCERN!!!!!, THE FALL IS COMINGZ" lol I see no fucking metric for anyone to worry about Call Of Duty or Battlefield. Theses are the same people that tell you every year to worry about this or that, yet stfu as soon as the next Call Of Duty or Battlefield is announced and then be like "now THIS is the one that will flopz the series" annnnnnnnd nothing happens.

I don't see anything even remotely that suggest either publisher is upset with those sales of either title.

man EA and Activision must be sooooooooo mad /s So when I hear sensationalists shit like "horrible this year and da fanz hate dem" , let me remind people when this shit was stated before.

The fans hate Far Cry 5 everyone, the outrage is massive....

The fans hate Battlefront everyone, looks like we won't see another one of theses.

the fans are soooo mad about the downgrade about The Division, what is Ubisoft going to do, oh noez.

oh the fans HATE the new direction of AC everyone...

Does this fucking sound like a group of people that knows what the fuck they are talking about? Sooooooo I get people can be triggered over some shit, but stop using that as some metric to argue if that is hurting a publisher or not, I've noticed the community is deeply disconnected from reality regarding this shit and seem to think their fucking tears = the game did badly...... we'll see the same tears this year when those same IP come out and move massive units yet again.

there are still sales numbers and other more objective assessments that would regard them as both under-performing to a considerable degree.

yea I don't see much evidence in that. One of theses games is literally one of the fastest selling in the series....

and before you waste a post telling us about pooooor COD sales, maybe you should look up where that difference sold...

I simply don't see enough here to suggest either publisher is mad or doomz or any sensationalist shit like that.

At this point, I don't anything can kill Call of Duty. It could be a literal pile of Bobby Kotick's shit in a PlayStation case and people would buy it every single year, guaranteed.
To respond to you and other people saying things like this, I'm more talking about the number of people enjoying the game, not just sales. The developers actually put out PR releases recently apologizing for the current state of the game, and you tubers have been moving away from COD for a while now, because with skill based matchmaking they can't pub stomp anymore.

It doesn't matter how many people bought the game if another game might draw their attention away. A lot of COD players went to Apex a while back, for example.

Halo obviously?

It isn't an upcoming game, though, which was really more the point of this thread. I see a lot of people mentioning Halo, and good point, but I agree we all know about Halo.

I should note that I also wasn't suggesting any of these games will be able to compete with Battlefield or COD for overall sales, just perhaps that they'll have an opportunity for a larger than usual part of the competitive shooter market.

EDMIX

To respond to you and other people saying things like this, I'm more talking about the number of people enjoying the game, not just sales.

You were pretty fucking sure before about those sales stating "under-performing to a considerable degree" now its "not just sales".....hmmmmmm

Sooooo too much millions buy those series to really pretend we know 100% how many enjoy them, the internet would lead you to believe no one likes anything and all games are bad....

The developers actually put out PR releases recently apologizing for the current state of the game

Thats what good PR does.... you telling some massive MP game came out with zero issues and a PR statement came out to say no updates would be happening as all is well? lol

you tubers have been moving away from COD

thats nice, but that same fucking base of people have told us for years that xyz IP is "overz" and its "dooomz" for so fucking long now, its like why are we still getting Far Cry, AC, COD, BF and so many other IPs still after they've spent the better part of a decade telling us how "overz" it is? The fuck? lol So I don't go based on youtubers. According to them no one plays Fortnite....

just perhaps that they'll have an opportunity for a larger than usual part of the competitive shooter market.

Nah, thats not how any of this works and have some damn respect for people who play theses games. They don't just play based on default, its insulting and makes it sound like disliking 1 entry means we'll play anything, nahhhhh, nothing even remotely like that. Its even more insulting to the teams even making those new games, as if APEX is JUST getting sales cause someone is mad at Call Of Duty, sir....ReSpawn is a respectable team that has made some amazing games, its success is because of what they did with APEX, NOT because of what someone else disliked with ANOTHER game. The game must still be good, fun etc. None of the games you listed even look good and its funny to even suggest they would have an "opportunity" simply because someone disliked BF and COD last year, that doesn't fucking mean I'll play that horse shit you listed sir....

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
video games halo GIF

Sony

Nintendo
Such a shame. I have a massive Battlefield itch but 2042 just ain't it. I also have no faith in DICE to fix it.

Top Bottom