• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield and COD are horrible this year and fans hate them, so which upcoming shooters might take advantage of this situation?

What non-BR shooters are coming out this year that have a better chance of becoming popular? I saw a Battlefield scale sci-fi shooter called Leap announced the other day, and there's that new Ubisoft COD-like shooter that's been announced, but I have to wonder if there are some others.

[edit] This is a great example of an answer to the "which upcoming games" question I'm asking here, so I'm adding it to the OP:

I've gone back to CoD:MW 2019 whilst eagerly awaiting the shit out of this:

And here are the other two games that I mentioned:

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Was excited for XDefiant but that seems to be another case of "announced to soon". Would be nice if that still comes out this year though.

Maybe CrossfireX will be decent but I think that's only on XBOX.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The thing even though Vanguard is shit CoD still has Warzone to fall back on as it's cash cow. It's more popular and more profitable these days than the regular CoD games anyway. So CoD will be fine.

Battlefield though is just shit out of luck with 2042 sucking. They have no back up plans other than desperately hoping they can fix their mess before everyone leaves the game for good. The game is so bad that it has players (like me for example) going back to the older games in order to have fun.

Whichever studio decides to make a Battlefield Bad Company clone or a Battlefield 4.5 then they are going be a MASSIVE success. Because that is what the Battlefield community wants. Not a half ass Hero Shooter full of bugs.

Fbh

Is there anything less Tom Clancy like than literally having this:
XD_Face.png

In your logo?

On topic though there aren't really that many options around. I think most people/studios didn't expect Battlefield and COD to underwhelm on the same year and you can't just throw together a comparable shooter in a couple of months.

Battlefield player since 1942 and I hit Halos level 100 in MP two weeks ago. Got a refund for BF2042 a week after it launched, and I haven't liked a Halo Multiplayer since Halo 3. Play every night for a few hours now. I got Vanguard and it's just okay to me, Might reinstall it and play some more this weekend

But I see way more people on my friends list playing Halo Daily/consistently so iunno, maybe Halo did?

Last edited:
Nah, this year's COD is fine. Way better than last year.
To be fair, I didn't play either (or Battlefield 2042) beyond their awful open betas. My subjective opinion aside, though, there are still sales numbers and other more objective assessments that would regard them as both under-performing to a considerable degree. A good traditional free to play shooter released anywhere in the near future has a big opportunity they probably wouldn't have had in the last decade or so.

Lognor

Banned
I think Halo Infinite has scratched that itch for a lot of people.

Upcoming it is definitely going to be Splatoon 3. It is going to be huge, especially with the growth of the Switch since Splatoon 2 released.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
To be fair, I didn't play either (or Battlefield 2042) beyond their awful open betas. My subjective opinion aside, though, there are still sales numbers and other more objective assessments that would regard them as both under-performing to a considerable degree. A good traditional free to play shooter released anywhere in the near future has a big opportunity they probably wouldn't have had in the last decade or so.
Both had bad betas, but I played them both after launch, and CoD actually impressed me with its gunplay. Its gunplay might even be better than MW 2019. The level of customization is absolutely insane.

They definitely didnt sell as well because of the poor reception so i see what you're saying, but once people give it a shot, they will realize just how good it feels to play.

Was excited for XDefiant but that seems to be another case of "announced to soon". Would be nice if that still comes out this year though.

I'm guessing that it's less of a case of announced too soon, and more a case of "let's not talk about our upcoming free to play shooter right before the release of our standard retail product shooter."

XDefiant looked to be pretty far into development, and I think the main reason you haven't heard anything about it lately is they want shooter fans to pay for Rainbow Six Extraction without thinking about an upcoming free game that might interest them even more.

And oh my goodness, what won't they put that man's name on?

NickFire

I'm laughing because I bet the marketing for the sequels to both will include people talking about how they got it right next time. In other words, the next COD and Battlefield will take advantage of the situations caused by the current COD and Battlefield.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
None. People will just join the marketers song of “it’ll get totally patched like no man’s sky we swear” until the new one shows up.

Why hasn’t there been a 2k or wwe competitor even though those game sucks? Because of ^^^

HTK

Banned
Neither in OP will do anything to CoD. BF2042 is already dead. I don't see anything on the horizon except Modern Warfare 2 and the next Warzone. Maybe TLOU Multiplayer or Battle Royale might be good but that's on a single console ssooo....yeah

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nobody_Important Nobody_Important
  • Infinitely better control than any other console shooter. Best in class gyro aiming.
  • Best mobility options of any console shooter. Run, jump, stealth anywhere with ink, wall run, super jump to allies on the map or to your base, etc.
  • Best campaign gameplay of any console shooter. Proper boss fights and platforming. Other campaigns probably have more graphical spectacle, but in terms of actual gameplay it's no contest. When's the last time you even saw a decent boss fight in a shooter? Halo's bosses are not bad, but not on the level of Splatoon.
  • Best OST of any shooter. Not even close.
  • Best art style of any shooter. Not even close.
  • Fantastic horde mode / co-op mode. The best one basically.
  • Multiple ranked modes and unranked modes for multiplayer.
  • Turf war is a unique mode exclusive to Splatoon, and not present in any other shooters.
  • Free updates to maps, weapons and cosmetics for a year along with specialized splatfest events. Last game also had 1 piece of paid DLC; a well done full expansion with no micro-transactions.
Just on the first bullet point alone, it should never be laughed at. But tons of people who laugh at the series haven't tried it, or ironically find gyro too difficult to use. Ironic, considering the implication is always that it's some shooter for babies, when it's actually more complex than they can even play apparently.

But for the record, I don't think any COD or Battlefield fans will ever gravitate to Splatoon. Their loss.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm sticking with Battlefield like I always have. Still having fun despite the issues. That doesn't mean I won't play the older BF titles though as I've done that since BC2 and have hopped between them many times.

I'll still be playing Siege as well.

That Arc Raiders game does look interesting though. Can't wait to see more.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
BF2042 is of less interest to fans (though still in the top 50 on Xbox), but saying fans aren't interest in COD is just demonstrably false: it is the number 2 game on Xbox. Now I'm not sure how the SKU works for this, and this might just be Warzone with the latest update. However Vanguard on its own comes in at 11 (again on Xbox).

. . .I get people REALLY wanting games they don't have any interest in dying, but it honestly doesn't look like the case.

These titles just came out and although they aren’t in the state we expect at launch, I’m still holding out on how they will be bolstered to make them more appealing. I’m a huge BF fan and feel like with some updates and additions I could play that for the foreseeable future, with some caveats of course. I’m aware that may not happen, but I’m not the type of person to just bail if things aren’t great initially. I have patience at least.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Imagine if the Quake reboot comes with an actual Deathmatch mode instead of whatever the fuck Battle Mode was in DOOM Eternal.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I mean, if you have a PC or Xbox One, the answer is simple and already out: Halo.
Halo is an arena shooter which isn't what most BF fans will be looking for. Not to mention Infinite also has had a large drop off in player count.

Honestly, most BF fans go back to other titles in the series, because no games do what Battlefield does when it comes to gameplay and scale.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Halo is the best shooter to be released in years and years but the mindshare will stay with CoD. Battlefield has been on a downward spiral since 2013’s Battlefield 4.

I wish I could get in to Destiny as I love Bungie but the game is a mess whenever I jump in to it.

TransTrender

Gold Member
What's the Nintendo Switch install base again?
...but Splatoon 3 should do crazy numbers unless they fuck it up somehow.

I hate the fast TTK in Vanguard. I'm thinking of reinstalling Cold War as I LOVED that one.

I don't know what else there is though--the OP stuff isn't interesting--so...

Yoboman

The yearly shooter is a dying model and any successful new shooters will be a GAAS model that lasts for years

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

xDefiant seems to be such a weird....throw everything hopefully they like it.
Heros...check.
Classes...check.
Abilities...check.
Realistic gunplay...check.
Ultras...check.
Splinter Cell NOT Splinter Cell....check.
Not particularly good graphics so itll run fast on potatos...check.

Im surprised there isnt a faction called the Order that dresses like Assassins from AC.

CrossfireX wont be decent...itll be a game, but not even a decent one.
Totally uninspired borderline lazy....youll be bored of it after the first day.
I've gone back to CoD:MW 2019 whilst eagerly awaiting the shit out of this:

If Halo Infinite doesnt get Warzone mode....im probably gonna have Arc Raiders as my Coop shooter for a while.
If Warzone does get put into Halo Infinite.....Ill give Arc a go partly out of curiosity but also to support the studio....but ill be back in Warzone.
Halo is an arena shooter which isn't what most BF fans will be looking for. Not to mention Infinite also has had a large drop off in player count.

Honestly, most BF fans go back to other titles in the series, because no games do what Battlefield does when it comes to gameplay and scale.
When did Halo have a large drop off of players.
Its been in the top 5 basically since launch?
iDnMbEM.png

Let me guess you are talking about where the least number of people are gonna be playing it....Steam?

BigLee74

I keep trying Vanguard (heck, I bought it and I want my money’s worth), but I can’t believe how shit it is compared to Cold War.

Performance is crap (there’s this awful judder most of the time whereas Cold War is smooth is silk), movement is sloth-like, TTK is too quick, the maps are pretty much all awful.

The only thing I prefer is that quick scoping snipers don’t appear to be too much of a thing, whereas they plague Cold War.

But to answer the question, Halo Infinite.

coffinbirth

I keep trying Vanguard (heck, I bought it and I want my money’s worth), but I can’t believe how shit it is compared to Cold War.

Performance is crap (there’s this awful judder most of the time whereas Cold War is smooth is silk), movement is sloth-like, TTK is too quick, the maps are pretty much all awful.

The only thing I prefer is that quick scoping snipers don’t appear to be too much of a thing, whereas they plague Cold War.

But to answer the question, Halo Infinite.
Don't forget WORST SPAWN POINTS EVER.

Top Bottom