• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

scogoth

Anyone play this with 3D Vision yet? I've got it working but recording with FRAPS doesn't seem to work.

i7-930 4.0GHz
2x GTX470
Everything High, 2xMSAA, SSAO, 3D
Runs about 45fps

Game has made my computer randomly restart, as well as randomly crashed a few times.

GTX470 (latest drivers)
Q6600 @3.2ghz
4GB RAM DDR2

45 fps maxed out
32 vs 32 server
All ultra no AA no AA post
HBAO
90 FOV
1920x1080

Your power supply is taking strain me thinks, had the same problem.

Jtrizzy

Anyone play this with 3D Vision yet? I've got it working but recording with FRAPS doesn't seem to work.

i7-930 4.0GHz
2x GTX470
Everything High, 2xMSAA, SSAO, 3D
Runs about 45fps
I was under the impression thag DICE hadn't implemented S3D yet...

I don't get what the hell is wrong with the ATI drivers and this damn game. 11.10 with CAP4 I get Xfire support but crappy performance on a 5970, 30-40fps on high, without CAP4
Not trying to start a flamewar, but I don't understand AMD's stance with their Radeon drivers. My first Radeon ever, in the 11 years I've been building PCs, and I am extremely disappointed with AMD's drivers. I've a Dirt 3 Sapphire 6950 and in the time since the BF3 Beta came out, nVidia, as usual, has released several drivers all with performance improvements specifically with this game in mind.

I don't get what the hell is wrong with the ATI drivers and this damn game. 11.10 with CAP4 I get Xfire support but crappy performance on a 5970, 30-40fps on high, without CAP4 I get no xfire support only 1 GPU running and get 20-30fps, which is far below what a single 5870 does on the game. I tried wiping the drivers, even a fresh windows install, everything is set to high, 2x MSAA and FXAA to high, no SBOA/HBAO. At the odd time I'll hit 60fps but thats very rare and only for a couple of seconds.

My GPU usage never peaks, it spikes on both cores, the highest it hits is 91% then rapidly drops to 50% or so and just keeps spiking back and forth. Any suggestions?

I'm using 11.11a and 11.11 caps 2 and my frame rates are excellent. I'm getting nearly 100% utilization on both of my 6970's.

noise36

still get crashes to desktop with sli enabled and 100% stability with 1 card with latest beta drivers.

GTX 280's

No other game I own has issues with sli.

To make matters worse I cant upgrade until the new ATI cards come out...otherwise ill be wasting my money...doh!

Max

I am not Max
Yep so I get mad stuttering 5 mins into games on my new GTX 560 Ti. I've tried the things in the OP but I can't really boil it down to one thing. Maybe I'll try the beta drivers.

Are they working on a patch for this?

edit: beta patch seems to make it all better

Echoes

My brother got a new laptop and it seems there are problems with the Xbox 360 controller. I searched but couldn't find a definite solution.

He plays with the Xbox 360 wired controller. He can move and all, but whenever he shoots, the screen freezes. We have to unplug -> plug for it to resume working. Tried throwing a grenade, and when the time comes to explode, it freezes. Fix is the same.

i7 2.2
GTX 580M

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anyone noticed that there is a very slight "hitch" issue that occurs with the game? I can now achieve a pretty much locked 60 fps (FRAPS never deviates), but it never feels 100% smooth. It's reminiscent of Doom 3 engine games if you fail to change "com_fixedtic" to 1 instead of 0 or Fallout 3 without INI adjustment. It just doesn't feel perfectly smooth.

Thoughts?

It's one of those things about PC games that has been annoying me lately as some games just seem to suffer from this for no reason (almost as if they don't properly sync with the monitor). The Witcher 2 also suffers from this.

I thought this was an ATI problem, but now that I've switched to nVidia again, I see these same issues occurring (though the framerates did improve).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Has anyone noticed that there is a very slight "hitch" issue that occurs with the game? I can now achieve a pretty much locked 60 fps (FRAPS never deviates), but it never feels 100% smooth. It's reminiscent of Doom 3 engine games if you fail to change "com_fixedtic" to 1 instead of 0 or Fallout 3 without INI adjustment. It just doesn't feel perfectly smooth.

Thoughts?

It's one of those things about PC games that has been annoying me lately as some games just seem to suffer from this for no reason (almost as if they don't properly sync with the monitor). The Witcher 2 also suffers from this.

I thought this was an ATI problem, but now that I've switched to nVidia again, I see these same issues occurring (though the framerates did improve).
Could be a video memory issue. I had to drop textures from ultra to high to fix this. It was rerl bad. Runs smooth as silk now, no tearing. BF3 has triple buffering by default even without vsync.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Could be a video memory issue. I had to drop textures from ultra to high to fix this. It was rerl bad. Runs smooth as silk now, no tearing. BF3 has triple buffering by default even without vsync.
I'll have to give that a shot. Using a GTX580 with 1.5gb memory. Figured that would be enough for Ultra (since I'm getting 60 fps already), but I'll try High to see if it eliminates the issue.

Thoughts?

I had this exact same issue. I enabled both v-sync on the game and forced it on through the nvidia panel. Smooth as butter now. I am using a 570 btw on ultra so I dont think its memory...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'll have to give that a shot. Using a GTX580 with 1.5gb memory. Figured that would be enough for Ultra (since I'm getting 60 fps already), but I'll try High to see if it eliminates the issue.
BF3 runs right up to the 1.5GB limit with ultra textures. MSAA is also really video memory intensive, especially at high resolutions. Might have to play with that setting as well.

Other settings to try:
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0 1
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 0 1 2 3
GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59 60 61 62

Linch

Neo Member
This thread seems pretty vacant at the moment but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice for me for my problem.

I was able to play the singleplayer game completely fine, running on high/ultra.

However I get BSOD when I play multiplayer, ever since day one. I can play maybe 10 mins, maybe 3 hours, but it WILL happen.

I have made many changes to my computer in the attempt to stop this. Including changing my GPU (as it was dying, as problems occured in other games), installing a Creative sound card, doing many driver updates, driver cleaning, defrags, disk cleanups etc.

My system specs:

Windows 7 64bit.
Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo.
Radeon Hd 6870 1GB
4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ

Now I know what people will say "Take off the overclocks and try" I have done this and it provided no resolution to the problem.

I have heard that my motherboard may be the problem, as it uses Realtek Audio and that can clash with Punkbuster, however I have disabled the onboard sound in BIOS, removed all drivers and tried installing an old Creative sound card running KX Audio drivers, and now I have plugged the PC into my TV and i'm running audio through my GPU by HDMI.

I still get the problem of a BSOD though. Code 124 I think it was. I'm at the end of my tether with this, I love the game, but I am unable to play it ever since launch day.

I also tried a solution involving Windows Powershell, reinstalling Punkbuster etc that I found on the EA forums, no luck.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks.

This thread seems pretty vacant at the moment but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice for me for my problem.

I was able to play the singleplayer game completely fine, running on high/ultra.

However I get BSOD when I play multiplayer, ever since day one. I can play maybe 10 mins, maybe 3 hours, but it WILL happen.

I have made many changes to my computer in the attempt to stop this. Including changing my GPU (as it was dying, as problems occured in other games), installing a Creative sound card, doing many driver updates, driver cleaning, defrags, disk cleanups etc.

My system specs:

Windows 7 64bit.
Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo.
Radeon Hd 6870 1GB
4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ

Now I know what people will say "Take off the overclocks and try" I have done this and it provided no resolution to the problem.

I have heard that my motherboard may be the problem, as it uses Realtek Audio and that can clash with Punkbuster, however I have disabled the onboard sound in BIOS, removed all drivers and tried installing an old Creative sound card running KX Audio drivers, and now I have plugged the PC into my TV and i'm running audio through my GPU by HDMI.

I still get the problem of a BSOD though. Code 124 I think it was. I'm at the end of my tether with this, I love the game, but I am unable to play it ever since launch day.

I also tried a solution involving Windows Powershell, reinstalling Punkbuster etc that I found on the EA forums, no luck.

Thanks.

Similar thing happened near launch where people were running the game on Ultra fine in SP but it would freeze up and BSOD in MP. Not enough VRAM is a possibility, have you tried running the game at lower settings?

Manager

My system specs:

Windows 7 64bit.
Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo.
Radeon Hd 6870 1GB
4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ

Thanks.

I have the exact same mo-bo and almost the same CPU (Q6750 I think) and GPU (Radeon 6950). I've overclocked my CPU as well. No problems here. I also use the on-board sound card.

Having a BSOD in this day and age kind of sound serious. I would format the drive. Specially as you changed GPU. But I guess you have a reason for doing all that and not format?

Kibbles

My brother got a new laptop and it seems there are problems with the Xbox 360 controller. I searched but couldn't find a definite solution.

He plays with the Xbox 360 wired controller. He can move and all, but whenever he shoots, the screen freezes. We have to unplug -> plug for it to resume working. Tried throwing a grenade, and when the time comes to explode, it freezes. Fix is the same.

i7 2.2
GTX 580M
Speaking of which, how the hell do you change your loadout with a controller? This game is not comfy couch compatible.

Linch

Neo Member
Similar thing happened near launch where people were running the game on Ultra fine in SP but it would freeze up and BSOD in MP. Not enough VRAM is a possibility, have you tried running the game at lower settings?

I have tried running on lower settings to no luck unfortunately.

I have the exact same mo-bo and almost the same CPU (Q6750 I think) and GPU (Radeon 6950). I've overclocked my CPU as well. No problems here. I also use the on-board sound card.

Having a BSOD in this day and age kind of sound serious. I would format the drive. Specially as you changed GPU. But I guess you have a reason for doing all that and not format?

Hmm, this has me slightly more worried. Yeah I think my computer could do with a reformat, haha yes my reason I have not being I lost my windows disc :(. I'll ask around and see if any friends have a spare. Or just buy it again.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I still get the problem of a BSOD though. Code 124.

Hardware is the root of this problem.
Update all your drivers for major hardware components you have.

Do you use a PCI network card or Wifi Card?
If you do try disabling them in Device Manager and play MP using Ethernet.

If it isnt the PCI slots then its time to do the "usual" hardware trouble shooting.
Memtest86+ - Run it on each stick.
Prime95 - Maybe your CPU is on its last legs....make sure
Using an SSD? - Update the Firmware
Motherboard - Update BIOS
HDD - Run chkdsk /r
Use a backup VideoCard to make sure it isnt your videocard.
Make sure all your hardware is correctly seated and plugged in, blow out any dust you might have in the system.

Linch

Neo Member
Hardware is the root of this problem.
Update all your drivers for major hardware components you have.

Do you use a PCI network card or Wifi Card?
If you do try disabling them in Device Manager and play MP using Ethernet.

If it isnt the PCI slots then its time to do the "usual" hardware trouble shooting.
Memtest86+ - Run it on each stick.
Prime95 - Maybe your CPU is on its last legs....make sure
Using an SSD? - Update the Firmware
Motherboard - Update BIOS
HDD - Run chkdsk /r
Use a backup VideoCard to make sure it isnt your videocard.
Make sure all your hardware is correctly seated and plugged in, blow out any dust you might have in the system.

Thanks for the reply.

No it's just Ethernet into the motherboard.

I will run a memory test, I recently changed my GPU, it's only about a month old so that should not be the issue. I'll also run a chkdsk, i'm not using SSD.

Thanks, I have read that updating the BIOS could help. It will be my first time doing such a thing, could anyone provide me with advice? Its an Asus P5Q Deluxe.

Manager

Thanks for the reply.

No it's just Ethernet into the motherboard.

I will run a memory test, I recently changed my GPU, it's only about a month old so that should not be the issue. I'll also run a chkdsk, i'm not using SSD.

Thanks, I have read that updating the BIOS could help. It will be my first time doing such a thing, could anyone provide me with advice? Its an Asus P5Q Deluxe.

It's very easy, it only took a couple of minutes when I did it.

There's an auto update tool here (you might already have it installed if you installed the Asus mobo CD):
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q_Deluxe/#download

Still, the general advice is to always format when you upgrade your GPU. GPU drivers can mess up a lot of stuff. If anything, it can even give you an FPS boost with a clean install.

(You still need to update bios though)

Salsa

Ok so I've had this issue since launch and maybe someone knows the answer:

The game runs great, EXCEPT that this weird mini-freeze will happen from time to time. The game will totally freeze up in a multiplayer match and after a couple seconds resume gameplay as if nothing happened. It's extremely annoying since it ends up happening at the worst possible times. Ive managed to ignore it since its not constant, but im getting frustrated by it..

It's not the game running low on VRAM or anything since its the same thing no matter how low the settings are :/

any ideas?

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIjJmyo3aA THIS is basically what happens to me

The game runs great, EXCEPT that this weird mini-freeze will happen from time to time. The game will totally freeze up in a multiplayer match and after a couple seconds resume gameplay as if nothing happened. It's extremely annoying since it ends up happening at the worst possible times. Ive managed to ignore it since its not constant, but im getting frustrated by it..

It's not the game running low on VRAM or anything since its the same thing no matter how low the settings are :/

any ideas?

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIjJmyo3aA THIS is basically what happens to me

Low HDD access speeds maybe? That does behave alot like VRAM hitting the cap though. I had that problem until I reduced textures to HIGH instead of ULTRA.

Linch

Neo Member
It's very easy, it only took a couple of minutes when I did it.

There's an auto update tool here (you might already have it installed if you installed the Asus mobo CD):
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5Q_Deluxe/#download

Still, the general advice is to always format when you upgrade your GPU. GPU drivers can mess up a lot of stuff. If anything, it can even give you an FPS boost with a clean install.

(You still need to update bios though)

Ok i've updated my bios, about to give it a whirl. I have not reformatted windows however as I can't find my disc. Will report back soon.

Arucardo

any ideas?

If you're running a core i5 or i7 disable the hyperthreading on the i7 and/or the turbo boost feature on an i5.

Salsa

If you're running a core i5 or i7 disable the hyperthreading on the i7 and/or the turbo boost feature on an i5.

turbo boost disabled in i5 since I bought it, so I guess that's not the issue

Low HDD access speeds maybe? That does behave alot like VRAM hitting the cap though. I had that problem until I reduced textures to HIGH instead of ULTRA.

My OS hdd is a bit old by now.. but the one the game's installed in has less than a year of use

bardia

I got a new PC that is finally able to run this, however I am having issues with artifacting. I get white/silver specs on certain terrain as well as on grass, bushes etc. BF3 is the only game where I'm getting any sort of artifacting, I've tested my graphics card on Crysis 2 ultra with the Hd texture pack and DX11 settings and I've had no problems. I'm not overclocking either. I'm using a GTX 670 on ultra settings @ 1920x1080 res with FXAA injector, does anyone have any ideas what may be my problem?

pestul

Sorry to bump this older thread, but I think it's the only appropriate one for this.

I'm trying to get some excellent performance out of this game with this config:
Core i7 920 @4GHz
12GB Ram
Crossfire 5850s
Catalyst 12.11 beta 11 with Cap2

Right now I'm fighting between 1080p at generally high settings with 2xPre AA and downsampling 2560x1440 / High / no AA. I just disabled cloud storage as per OP and I'm going to try a few of those suggestions. Kept FOV at 70 and haven't tweaked much else yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I only just got the game this Christmas and have only tried the multiplayer modes thus far.

pestul

I did some trial and error with Fraps Pro to see what works the best.

It's a fight between these settings now as both look fantastic.

1) 1080p / Ultra all but textures (run out vram) / 2xpreAA / medium postAA / HBAO
Min 51 Max 117 Avg 79.8

or

2) 1440p Downsampled / Ultra all but textures (run out of vram) / medium postAA / HBAO
Min 54 Max 105 Avg 72.4

64 player map for both on Tehran Highway. Going to have to run some day maps to see what the difference is. Might lower postAA to low.

Trojan X

Banned
i7 3930k 4.6ghz, 32gb Quad Channel 1600mhz, Asus 680 DirectCU II Top 2GB:

1920x1080p 16:9 - Maximum settings - Avg 115fps, Max 130fps

2560x1600p 16:10 - Maximum setting - Avg 45fps, Max 70fps

2560x1600p 16:10 - Everything maximum excluding Anti Aliasing (Doesn't need AA during to the insane resolution, i.e. you can't see any problems even on a 30" monitor) - Avg 65fps, Max 90fps

This game looks INSANE in 1600p! Truly showcases my PC. Absurd!

pestul

So I re-evaluated my opinion on downsampling from 1440p.. it looks utterly fantastic compared to native 1080p on my HP 2509m monitor.

With a nice overclock on my crossfire 5850s, here are the settings I landed with.

2560x1440
Ultra everything except High textures
Medium PostAA
HBAO

I don't drop below 60fps often, but I've seen low 50s in a huge firefight on a large conquest server map. Very happy with the result. Looks amazing.

iyWS4MvsfwrIo.png

So I purchased my first game on Origin, and yes it's Battlefield 3. I was looking forward to checking it out, unfortunately the game won't launch... I've updated origin, BF3 etc but when I click play nothing happens (except an ad pops up). Anyone have an idea?

Addnan

So I purchased my first game on Origin, and yes it's Battlefield 3. I was looking forward to checking it out, unfortunately the game won't launch... I've updated origin, BF3 etc but when I click play nothing happens (except an ad pops up). Anyone have an idea?

Does it open up your browser and ask you to install a web plug in? Should make you install battle log and you start through that.

Le-mo

I'm reinstalling Origin right now since I heard Battlefield 3 is on sale for $10? How well will my current rig run it? Core i5 2500k, gtx480, 8gb ram.

Does it open up your browser and ask you to install a web plug in? Should make you install battle log and you start through that.

Nope? Can I do that manually?

Edit: ok it's working now after an origin re-install. I have to say, what a shitty client.

Edit 2: whenever I click on video settings the game freezes...

Top Bottom