• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

Manager

Spayro said:
So yeah this game is pretty awesome, been playing it for the last couple of days, really enjoying it.
However I noticed something weird - I have a brand new rig and have been running it on Ultra at 40-60 fps, but today it's been really weird - It works smoothly, but sometimes the framerate drops a little, and it's really for less than a second and it's really annoying. also, singleplayer has this sort of.. lag-like problem.

Is it the game/server, or have I managed to fuck my computer already?

You're sure you don't have any other software that is scanning your computer, or something similar? Sounds like spikes in CPU, perhaps. Tried anti-spyware, or checked there's no unknown processes in the background?

Also, BF2 was very sensetive to fragmentation, might be wise to defrag it, but I doubt that's it.

WarMacheen said:
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()

Literally nothing changed from the time it was playing fine, to now

Fuck you DICE/EA/Origin/whatever else

I don't think I've ever been disconnected by a server. Black screen/lockup has occured though.

Complistic

GeoNeo said:
For people having problems like the picture below it is due to your vram not being able to handle the load. Lower the texture and AA to free up some vram. If you still having problems even on the lowest settings try actually down clocking your vram (from stock clock) and if the problem goes away that is a clear sign you need to RMA the graphics card.

(Note: The spikes are a known problem with 200 (DX10) series NV cards due to driver fuck up. So, don't freak out if you have a 200 series gpu and having such problems.)

D588a.jpg

So do you guys think they're going to patch this problem out? Because i get really good frame rates with most everything on ultra yet I still get this problem. it just seems like something they would be able to fix.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is anyone else having low-ish (70%) GPU usage? I regularly see 45fps but with less than even 90% usage. Could a Phenom II X4 940 BE @ 3.6ghz be bottlenecking a 560ti or am I just ignorant on how GPU usage works?

So this thought occurred to me today, what is the deal with tessellation? Is it in here? Are there options for it? Any comparison videos/pics?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MikeDub said:
So this thought occurred to me today, what is the deal with tessellation? Is it in here? Are there options for it? Any comparison videos/pics?

It's supposed to be in the terrain detail, I haven't seen any comparison between the different settings, but it would be nice to se though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Guys, any clue about the issues I'm having? I had to redownload the 11GB with Origin's fuck ups and it's still the same as I described on the last page... Laggy videos, block shadows in certain areas, it's all there, on a GTX285 1GB with the latest drivers, latest directx setup, etc. And Origin still didn't keep the setup files though I made sure I set a path and ticked the "keep game installers after games have been installed" box so I'd have to download it yet again for another reinstall... This is the first PC game to be giving me such issues in ages :(

Manager

Alextended said:
Guys, any clue about the issues I'm having? I had to redownload with Origin's fuck ups and it's still the same as I described on the last page... And Origin still didn't keep the setup files so I'd have to download yet again for a reinstall...

Shadows: nothing before in this thread. There's another case with no solution on EA forums:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...rd-ghosting-issues-random-blocky-shadows.html

Google brought me this:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/battl...g-are-introduced-with-nvidias-285-62-drivers/

We just got word from Nvidia’s ManuelG. Apparently the corrupted shadows are due to the game’s current build while the stuttering will be fixed via an updated GPU driver. We should also note that the game is not working properly with 3D Vision right now – a patch is expected to add proper 3D support:
(See more at link incl. image examples)

That was posted on the 28th, last update to drivers was 24th. Tried older drivers, like the BF3 beta ones?

Alexios

Oh, I didn't try older drivers, I thought the latest were made specifically for the game and it would even give warnings if I used any before them? :/

If the shadows are the game's fault how come nobody else is getting them?

Manager

Alextended said:
Oh, I didn't try older drivers, I thought the latest were made specifically for the game? :/

See the OP, some people have tons of problems with it. Try the ones released for the BF3 beta.

Alexios

Thanks I'll try that later. Although it seems they mean in-game stuttering? I only get it in FMVs, like the intro logos etc which take ages to finish like that.

Manager

Alextended said:
Thanks I'll try that later.

Might be worth trying this shadow fix:
http://www.letsprogram.com/156068/battlefield-3-jet-fighting-gameplay-with-stuttering-shadows-fix/

Here's some more info about working drivers if you want to go back:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=213862&st=0

Alextended said:
Thanks I'll try that later. Although it seems they mean in-game stuttering? I only get it in FMVs, like the intro logos etc which take ages to finish like that.

I only posted about shadows, have no idea about the FMV stuttering. People seem to share your problem though:
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7671802.page

Might be drivers too.

Alexios

The resolution command fixes the blocky shadows but then i got flickering shadows in the vent. Might be a fluke. The other commands don't do anything for me. And they reset after every load or whatever, I died and it restarted from last checkpoint and the blocky shadows returned. I'll try the beta drivers later.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Erasus said:

But it looks worse than Bad Company 2 AND runs worse.

How did that happen?

You've got to be completely blind if you think Bad Company 2 is the better looking game.

FStop7

Banned
PC Protip - if you have problems with hitching/stuttering when looking left/right with the mouse and you also happen to have a 360 controller connected - unplug it. This just started happening to me yesterday. I never thought to unplug the controller because I've had it connected since the beta with no problems at all. Basically you just need to unplug it and then the next round you can plug it back in.

FStop7 said:
PC Protip - if you have problems with hitching/stuttering when looking left/right with the mouse and you also happen to have a 360 controller connected - unplug it. This just started happening to me yesterday. I never thought to unplug the controller because I've had it connected since the beta with no problems at all. Basically you just need to unplug it and then the next round you can plug it back in.

I uninstalled and reinstalled from that issue lol only to find out doing that will fix it

still no fix for the stuttering outside of turning off HT and trying all this other sorcery? smh

hell I learned to play with the stuttering in MP because sometimes I'm too lazy to turn off my computer to disable HT.

Alexios

I tried the previous non beta drivers since the BF3 beta worked fine for me with them despite the error dialogue warning me to use a newer version, but the issues all remain the same. I guess I should have gotten the last betas then... Bah. I tried multiplayer and the blocky shadows don't seem to show up there. At least not in the Metro map which I checked because it has both indoor and outdoor sections. Is it a different engine version for the multiplayer? I notice single player doesn't get the jump over stuff animations either for example, like it's a different game. I did get those stretched triangle things pointing to teammates though.

Fonds

Does anyone know how to deal with the gaming slowing down the longer you play/ map progresses towards new capture points?

At first my framerate is just fine with some features high some ultra 1680x1050. After that framerate just plummets.

ATI HD6870 XFX
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BLACK @ 3.4 GHZ
4GBS RAM

mcrae

so im playing at 1680x1050 even though desktop is 1920x1200, with all settings on low.
im getting 30-60fps, but i feel like i should be getting better with my hardware, am i wrong?

amd 6790 1gb
i5-750 2.66
12gb ddr3

the gpu is running at 50 and the cpu at 70-90 temperature wise

knitoe

mcrae said:
so im playing at 1680x1050 even though desktop is 1920x1200, with all settings on low.
im getting 30-60fps, but i feel like i should be getting better with my hardware, am i wrong?

amd 6790 1gb
i5-750 2.66
12gb ddr3

Are you using 11.10 drivers? You could be graphic or cpu limited. Try increasing graphic settings and see what happens to your framerate. If it stays about the same, it's the cpu. Then, try overclocking your cpu and test.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mcrae said:

amd 6790 1gb
i5-750 2.66
12gb ddr3

30-60fps sounds about right for the 6790.

Smash88

Banned
Game has made my computer randomly restart, as well as randomly crashed a few times.

GTX470 (latest drivers)
Q6600 @3.2ghz
4GB RAM DDR2

45 fps maxed out
32 vs 32 server
All ultra no AA no AA post
HBAO
90 FOV
1920x1080

mcrae

knitoe said:
Are you using 11.10 drivers? You could be graphic or cpu limited. Try increasing graphic settings and see what happens to your framerate. If it stays about the same, it's the cpu. Then, try overclocking your cpu and test.

playing on high im getting between 16-35 or so. ill look into overclocking..

what exactly is the definition of stuttering? is it like really fast, really short bursts of lag? cause thats what i feel i get every once in a while. GAF server much more than others

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Smash88 said:
Game has made my computer randomly restart, as well as randomly crashed a few times.

GTX470 (latest drivers)
Q6600 @3.2ghz
4GB RAM DDR2

45 fps maxed out
32 vs 32 server
All ultra no AA no AA post
HBAO
90 FOV
1920x1080

Have you checked your temps? What kind of power supply?

Effect

Okay.So far dropping my settings from High to Medium seems to have stopped the crashing and even upped my FPS. Now to see how long this last.

Jswanko

So im having a problem where I keep getting an error that reads "detected amd radeon driver version 11.1. the recommended driver version is 11.7 or later. please update at blah blah blah" but no matter how many times I try and install the newest drivers I get the same message. Ive tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers (and game) multiple times but Im having no luck. Running it on new iMac (specs here) farthest left one on legit windows 7.

I boot up the game and it runs pretty bad so im assuming the message is correct in thinking my driver hasn't updated. Device Manager says im running version 8.812.0.0. Not sure what that translates to but I think its 11.1 right?

mcrae

Jswanko said:
So im having a problem where I keep getting an error that reads "detected amd radeon driver version 11.1. the recommended driver version is 11.7 or later. please update at blah blah blah" but no matter how many times I try and install the newest drivers I get the same message. Ive tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers (and game) multiple times but Im having no luck. Running it on new iMac (specs here) farthest left one on legit windows 7.

I boot up the game and it runs pretty bad so im assuming the message is correct in thinking my driver hasn't updated. Device Manager says im running version 8.812.0.0. Not sure what that translates to but I think its 11.1 right?

ive got the latest drivers, linked in this thread, from the 30th, and my device manager is reading 8.902.0.0

Spayro

Manager said:
You're sure you don't have any other software that is scanning your computer, or something similar? Sounds like spikes in CPU, perhaps. Tried anti-spyware, or checked there's no unknown processes in the background?

Also, BF2 was very sensetive to fragmentation, might be wise to defrag it, but I doubt that's it.
I checked for spyware and viruses, nothing. also tried looking for spikes in CPU, nothing there neither. I noticed it happens in every game, and even if I watch videos, movies and stuff. It says it's running at 40-60-80 fps, but even if it's a constant 60 I'll see a drop. It's really freaking me out. It's a very slight hitch, but it makes it that much more annoying. Could it be because I have the new nVidia drivers installed? I don't think that's it because it worked smoothly with them a few days ago. mmm..

Binabik15

I´m scared shitless that BF3 is killing one or both of my brothers 6950s. FPS yesterday seemed a lot lower than usual (where it´s 60 fps locked) with lots of 45-50 on Caspian and Firestorm 64, also dips on other maps. Now today sometimes white dots appear on his black desktop, but go away when you switch windows. CC had lots of weird numeral strings and signs showing up when I tried to turn on CrossFire, which was off and wouldn´t turn on. I deleted Ati Tray Tool and rebooted, then I could turn CrossFire on again.

I´m scared, GAF. On the other hand, I logged into Steam for the first time in a couple of days and an AMD driver installation window popped up right away and updated drivers without me even asking. Maybe it was interrupted some days ago and resumed, resulting in faulty drivers?

What program should I use to show GPU temps in-game? I have Radeon Pro installed, but I see no way to show temps there. The CPU and mobo are a cool 26°C at idle, but the cards idle at up to 50°C at 26% fan speed.

The pc help thread seems pretty dead, otherwise I´d post there as well.

Binabik15 said:
I´m scared shitless that BF3 is killing one or both of my brothers 6950s. FPS yesterday seemed a lot lower than usual (where it´s 60 fps locked) with lots of 45-50 on Caspian and Firestorm 64, also dips on other maps. Now today sometimes white dots appear on his black desktop, but go away when you switch windows. CC had lots of weird numeral strings and signs showing up when I tried to turn on CrossFire, which was off and wouldn´t turn on. I deleted Ati Tray Tool and rebooted, then I could turn CrossFire on again.

I´m scared, GAF. On the other hand, I logged into Steam for the first time in a couple of days and an AMD driver installation window popped up right away and updated drivers without me even asking. Maybe it was interrupted some days ago and resumed, resulting in faulty drivers?

What program should I use to show GPU temps in-game? I have Radeon Pro installed, but I see no way to show temps there. The CPU and mobo are a cool 26°C at idle, but the cards idle at up to 50°C at 26% fan speed.

The pc help thread seems pretty dead, otherwise I´d post there as well.
A good program that will cleanly uninstall your GPU drivers is Driver Sweeper. Also, to check your temperatures in-game you can use MSI Afterburner; I use it regularly and it works fine.

coopolon

Any solution other than turning off vsync for the movie stuttering? Movies work fine when I turn off vsync, but then the game tears like nobody's business. I am up to date on drivers.

Corky

Anyone know for certain whether not the latest beta drivers are more stable than the latest WHQL-drivers? With regards to bf3 ofc.

Are there any fixes for the rediculously long loading times? I have an i5 2500k with 4GB ram - and it still takes forever (1-2 minutes) to load a new game/map.

TheNamelessOne said:
Are there any fixes for the rediculously long loading times? I have an i5 2500k with 4GB ram - and it still takes forever (1-2 minutes) to load a new game/map.

Turn on Threaded Optimization in your NVidia/AMD drivers. My load times for a new map are 10 seconds or less on a 2500k with SSD + 8 GB of RAM.

Corky said:
Anyone know for certain whether not the latest beta drivers are more stable than the latest WHQL-drivers? With regards to bf3 ofc.

285.38 drivers have been the best so far, I highly recommend them.

Corky

BoobPhysics101 said:
Turn on Threaded Optimization in your NVidia/AMD drivers. My load times for a new map are 10 seconds or less on a 2500k with SSD + 8 GB of RAM.

Guess I'm rolling back them, how the hell can you fuck up from going from beta to whql?

BoobPhysics101 said:

Is Threaded Optimization the same as Multi Threaded Support? Cause it didn't work for me -.-

My loads take up to full 2 minutes.

MNC

BoobPhysics101 said:

Well yeah, that's an SSD. It doesn't help for me.

It's the only problem I have that refrains me from 'quickly jumping into a game' when I have time if every new map load takes 3 minutes.

EGM92

I don't get what the hell is wrong with the ATI drivers and this damn game. 11.10 with CAP4 I get Xfire support but crappy performance on a 5970, 30-40fps on high, without CAP4 I get no xfire support only 1 GPU running and get 20-30fps, which is far below what a single 5870 does on the game. I tried wiping the drivers, even a fresh windows install, everything is set to high, 2x MSAA and FXAA to high, no SBOA/HBAO. At the odd time I'll hit 60fps but thats very rare and only for a couple of seconds.

My GPU usage never peaks, it spikes on both cores, the highest it hits is 91% then rapidly drops to 50% or so and just keeps spiking back and forth. Any suggestions?

Cheech

Real happy that DICE has not yet fixed the Q key issue, which makes strafing left impossible for those of us who first started playing FPSes in the 90s. Game has basically been unplayable since launch, just because they are too lazy to throw a quick hotfix in.

Go fuck yourself, guys.

Nekrono

Nvidia just posted an extended performance and tweak guide.

It's pretty good, pretty much the big FPS hitters are... shadows, mesh quality, terrain quality, AA deferred (turn this shit off, it's not worth it in BF3) and ambient occlusion.

Turning all of those down a notch (from Ultra) should give a good fps boost without losing any major image quality/effects, probably the most notorious will be ambient occlusion.

Teknoman

I guess i'll see somewhat ok performance setting things to high, and then lowering some other settings with a Radeon 4870 at 1440x900.

Alexios

New beta drivers fixed that issue I had with the 8bit shadows. Performance is passable, not good, but I guess expecting better on a PC like mine was just wishful thinking. Still, I still have the laggy FMV issue so I guess it's unrelated to drivers and such things. Maybe a faulty download? I did get it twice though. It's annoying, I can't see the story sequences in the campaign like this and it takes a while to start up the game too with the laggy logo videos...

Thrakier

Got a TI560 oc @900mhz and i52500k@4.1 GHZ. I get around 40 to 60 in the campaign, mostly around 45 to 55 with custom settings with 2xMSAA and PP at medium. Some stuff at ultra, most at high. Is this a normal performance or should it be better?

Btw, I don't think the game looks that great...I was far more impressed with UC3 or Killzone 3...don't know why.

Ambient Occlusion is one of those things I actually don't like - I always feel that games typically overdo it and it ends up taking away from the picture quality in spots.

That being said, I didn't realize it had such a heavy performance hit. That is definitely going off.

belier

How can I disable the bloom?
I've the green flashes issue and I've read that people solved it in BC2 disabling the bloom.

Thx in advance.

Top Bottom