• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

Erasus

TheNamelessOne said:
Newer game and a newer engine that needs more power - as simple as that.

It needs more power to look shittier? :/ Back to 99% of all the other console ports I can max out. Like Oblivion, DAO, BC2, TF2, Portal 2, L4D2, Crysis 2, GW, ME1 and 2, UT3 etc etc

Erasus said:
It needs more power to look shittier? :/ Back to 99% of all the other console ports I can max out. Like Oblivion, DAO, BC2, TF2, Portal 2, L4D2, Crysis 2, GW, ME1 and 2, UT3 etc etc
The game as a whole needs a better computer - it's kinda weird, yeah. The upside is that with a better computer it looks a whole lot better than BC2.

mug

Erasus said:
Performance is horrible on some maps with a 4830 512MB (its the minimum req I know but hear me out)

Getting dips into 20-25....

I can run BC2 on high/medium at 1080p and get 40fps

BF3 looks way worse than BC2 on low and runs way worse.

What the fuck DICE?
I wouldn't blame DICE for your troubles. You're using an old card that doesn't support DX11 as well as only having 512MB of memory. If you want more performance I'd suggest a newer card. There's a LOT more going on in BF3 than BC2, every so often a game of this scale comes out and most people build a system around it. However, the game is still new and will improve over time with patches and driver updates.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheNamelessOne said:
For the first one I heard it helps running both origin.exe and bf3.exe as administrator - I have yet to try it out tho.

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield...ve_this_happen_to_them_50_of_the_time/c2wttqx

As for the second - what GPU do you have? I have a 560Ti that I have to lower the clock to 850 mhz from 900 mhz to get rid of that crash.

Hmm, interesting, this could still be too early to tell but I started both origin and bf3 as admin and I didn't get a single crash for the entire playsession, which consisted of around 60 min or so of gametime. This is without downclocking my card, which is the same as yours a 560 ti. I kept them at 985 mhz and it was still no problem.

Gonna have to play alot more before I consider it a success but still, thanks for the help!

mcrae

how do i see what graphics card i have? i got it from a friend and all i can see is

"AMD Radeon 6700 series" and it has 1024mb of memory
this card, 12gb DDR3, and an i5 750 2.66gHz are only getting me ~30 fps on low everything :/

Binabik15

This showed up after a couple of reboots where the pc would restart immediatly after windows 7 login screen and where I couldn´t even get to safe mode, because the screen would be black until the login screen:

[img=http://www.abload.de/thumb/atidriverr3k98.png]

Now it´s runnig and I deinstalled ATT.

Did I use it right? I´m on a quad core with crossfire and selected the multi-threading tweak column and put in "4" in the first row. Is that wrong?

And: I saw that CrossFire was disabled when I wondered why even in the campaign I´d only get 45-60 fps. It seems it turns itself off every time the computer is turned off, at least it was off again when it finally booted without restarting.

Corky

Update, all my midgame crashes have been alleviated by giving run as admin properties to both bf3.exe and origin.exe

mcrae said:
how do i see what graphics card i have? i got it from a friend and all i can see is

"AMD Radeon 6700 series" and it has 1024mb of memory
this card, 12gb DDR3, and an i5 750 2.66gHz are only getting me ~30 fps on low everything :/

That seems fairly odd, getting that performance with those specs. Is it a laptop?

Erasus said:
Well, you are playing with more players and more detailed destruction, that sort of stuff. It's no wonder it needs better hardware.

Erasus

Emily Chu said:
lol I get 60 FPS on my 8800GT 512mb + PH II X4 955 AMD everything low @ 720p

it looks not bad to be honest, 16x AF, Post AA Set to high.

Are you shitting me? I have the same processor, but a 4830 instead.

On Low @ 720p I get about 20-45fps

Is it just drivers or what?

bindleford said:
Given my CPU is a Phenom II X3 720, is there any point putting in a decent graphics card (currently have a 4870) or will I just be bottle-necked by my processor? Sadly I have to balance a very tight budget.
A GPU bottleneck will mean that your actual generate isn't really going to change by investing in a new GPU. However you should be abler to crank the graphics settings significantly higher without any real hit to performance.

So, it depends on what you want the upgrade for. If you're unhappy with your current frame rate then you might want too hold off. Buying a ~$20 aftermarket cooler (if you don't have one all ready) and clocking the crap out of your CPU will be your most cost effective upgrade.

Erasus said:
Are you shitting me? I have the same processor, but a 4830 instead.

On Low @ 720p I get about 20-45fps

Is it just drivers or what?

I use mostly all ultra with a 4890 @1080P. No problems here.

Corky said:
Update, all my midgame crashes have been alleviated by giving run as admin properties to both bf3.exe and origin.exe
That's great! How is the bf3.exe crash at startup? I'm still getting that one even when I run as admin.

Corky

TheNamelessOne said:
That's great! How is the bf3.exe crash at startup? I'm still getting that one even when I run as admin.

Yeah that one is still there, but like I said it's so pointless that I just shrug it off, it adds like 5 seconds to the process, don't get me wrong though I'd be glad to be rid of it. Whereas a hardlock crash every 30 minutes into a session/round makes me want to tear my hair off.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Zakkath

i7 930
GTX 560 Ti
4GB Ram

I thought my machine would be powerful enough to play on ultra, but the framerate drops quite noticeably even in single player, so I leave it on high. Based on my hardware above, should I be able to play on ultra ? If so, I'll try to find what the problem could be.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zakkath said:
i7 930
GTX 560 Ti
4GB Ram

I thought my machine would be powerful enough to play on ultra, but the framerate drops quite noticeably even in single player, so I leave it on high. Based on my hardware above, should I be able to play on ultra ? If so, I'll try to find what the problem could be.

I'm on 6950 2 gig, i5-2500k and 6GB RAM. The game averages at 45fps on big maps with 64 players occasionaly droping to 30fps. Everything is on ultra, MSAA 2x. If you are 60 fps guy, then you must have two 560s and the developers listed them as recommended for this framerate.

I guess you have 1GB of ram on your card.

subversus

Erasus said:

But it looks worse than Bad Company 2 AND runs worse.

How did that happen?

I guess that has happened in your head only. The game looks drasticallly better than BFBC2 if you're playing on ultra. I haven't tried on any other mode though.

Zakkath

subversus said:
I'm on 6950 2 gig, i5-2500k and 6GB RAM. The game averages at 45fps on big maps with 64 players occasionaly droping to 30fps. Everything is on ultra, MSAA 2x. If you are 60 fps guy, then you must have two 560s and the developers listed them as recommended for this framerate.

I don't necessarily want the game to runs 60fps all the time, I just want it to run smooth with no slow-downs.

Corky

Zakkath said:
i7 930
GTX 560 Ti
4GB Ram

Turn texture setting to high instead of ultra, 1gb cards struggle with that. Turn hbao down to ssao and if that's still not enough to get 30+ fps use high setting shadow instead of ultra. Also turn off MSAA and use post AA instead, try with low-med on that setting.

Zakkath

Corky said:
Turn texture setting to high instead of ultra, 1gb cards struggle with that. Turn hbao down to ssao and if that's still not enough to get 30+ fps use high setting shadow instead of ultra. Also turn off MSAA and use post AA instead, try with low-med on that setting.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Corky

PNstyle said:
Haven't played for 2 days and now I have 40 fps instead of 60 fps on same settings and all maps. wtf?

It could be a case of you changing some setting and it not going into effect until you restarted the game and played a couple of days later. Certain settings won't change until you've restarted the game.

brain_stew said:
A GPU bottleneck will mean that your actual generate isn't really going to change by investing in a new GPU. However you should be abler to crank the graphics settings significantly higher without any real hit to performance.

So, it depends on what you want the upgrade for. If you're unhappy with your current frame rate then you might want too hold off. Buying a ~$20 aftermarket cooler (if you don't have one all ready) and clocking the crap out of your CPU will be your most cost effective upgrade.

Are you kidding? Have you even read into CPU scaling with Bf3? BF3 runs fine on any modern quad or even tri core. It's almost entirely GPU limited. All that guy needs is to dump his 4870 for at least a 6850/GTX 460 and he'll be able to be play on High @ 1080p.

Erasus

subversus said:
I guess that has happened in your head only. The game looks drasticallly better than BFBC2 if you're playing on ultra. I haven't tried on any other mode though.

On low it looks worse than BFBC2 on medium.

subversus said:

You realize if you turned off MSAA you'd get 15-25 FPS to your min/avg fps, right?

Salaadin

I got a weird error starting campaign today. The sound started looping before I even saw the a load screen so I alt-tabbed out and got a "display driver has stopped working and has recovered" error message and had to force close bf3. I started it back up 2 minutes later and it was fine.

I just replaced my GPU and this was the first game I tried playing on it so Im worried now. The card checks out in OCCT with no errors so Im wondering if its the game. Any ideaS?

GPU is AMD 6870 running Catalyst 11.10

G_Berry

Banned
My fps sits on 60 85% of the time via d3d and running most settings on high including hbao.

The problem is even though its running at 60fps, it still looks likes its running sub 60. It's very inconsistent.

I can only guess it's the lag, server back end issues, that are causing this jank.

gray_fox224

I got the this game at launch and until last night, the game was running great. Now I get these weird FPS issues. It feels like the game is chugging. ://////////

Since updating to the newest Nvidia drivers has anyone here experienced the video driver failing almost randomly? Not even talking about when playing the game. Just like looking at a video on a website or clicking around, everything hangs for a second then it comes back. Or sometimes when watching a video in vlc it will hitch a few times, then it's fine.

I don't know if it's an issue with the card itself or the drivers, but before I updated the drivers for BF3 my system was stable.

MSI GTX560 Ti.

Smokey

Smokey said:
So are the new Nvidia drivers still an issue? I'm still running beta drivers from BF3 beta...

Since updating to the newest Nvidia drivers has anyone here experienced the video driver failing almost randomly? Not even talking about when playing the game. Just like looking at a video on a website or clicking around, everything hangs for a second then it comes back. Or sometimes when watching a video in vlc it will hitch a few times, then it's fine.

I don't know if it's an issue with the card itself or the drivers, but before I updated the drivers for BF3 my system was stable.

MSI GTX560 Ti

Welp, guess this answers my question!

canocha

Mechanized said:

MSI GTX560 Ti.

I have the same problem. After googling a little bit and found that this only happens if the "Power Management Mode" is set to Adaptive instead of Performance... some sort of voltage problem.

Prodigal

Banned
Is it still recommended to go with the beta drivers for a 560ti? I'm getting pretty good performance but if I can better I'll gladly go back!

JJBro One

Might pull the trigger on this

GPU MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 1GB
CPU Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz
Motherboard MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX UEFI BIOS
PSU Cooler Master Elite eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500 Watt
RAM PNY XLR8 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM Model MD4096KD3-1600-X8
HDD Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive LG DVD Burner Black Model GH24NS70
CPU Cooler Stock, Included With CPU
Thermal Compound Stock, Included With CPU
Case Antec One Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Chassis

Got it from the nvidia guide and people have told me to take that guide with a grain of salt. Planning on dedicating this build to play on high at 60fps in multiplayer.
Anything I should change or add?

subversus

BoobPhysics101 said:
You realize if you turned off MSAA you'd get 15-25 FPS to your min/avg fps, right?

lol thanks. I'll use extra fps for FRAPS recording.

it was 10-20 in my case, I guess 2GB of VRAM helped a bit.

subversus said:
lol thanks. I'll use extra fps for FRAPS recording.

it was 10-20 in my case, I guess 2GB of VRAM helped a bit.

A shader unlocked and OC'ed 6950 2GB is amazing. Had one for a short while, eventually made a which to a GTX 570. My first Nvidia card.

Phenom II X4 OC'ed @ 3.6 ghz
6GB DDR3 @ 1600
GTX 570 -- OC'ed to 870/2190/1739 1.1 v

Did some other oc'ing and -- Vanilla BF3, my Average is 54 fps with everything on Ultra w/ no MXAA. Subtract 5-6 frames from average w/ MXAA @ 2x. frames per sec usually hover in the early sixties and sometimes jump to 71. A fellow GAFer shared some custom profile for nvidia inspector and a few console commands to increase graphical fidelity and AA (SGSSAA 8X) -- Campaign, fps is between 50-61 for the most part, dips to forties is rare. For Multiplayer, I've locked the fps to 50 for the purpose of experimenting and my performance sometimes jumps between 46-50 but I'm usually at 50 fps for the most part. Game looks amazing!

Once I can afford to buy some new cooling components for CPU/case, I plan on oc'ing some more and milking as much performance out of my setup as possible.

MNC

Loading times are 2-3 minutes each new map load/boot. Singleplayer and campaign.

Settings are all medium, shadows/effects low, textures high, AA off, postAA low. 1366x768.

i5-2401m @ 2,3~2,8Ghz
Nvidia GT 540M
4GB ram

I tried the thread optimization fix, didn't really help.

BoobPhysics101 said:
2500k or Phenom x4 (2500k if you have a Microcenter near you) + decent mobo = 200-250
Case =30-40
Radeon 6950 or 560 Ti = $200
PSU = $50+
HDD = $50+

Just to give you an idea.
What's up with microcenter right now?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Something is wrong with my game, all the FMV is super laggy and I get 8-bit shadows regardless of settings. Is that a common issue? Latest Nvidia drivers on a GTX285. I also can't increase Terrain beyond Medium, is High and beyond for DX11 only or something? Anyway here's how it looks, atm on mostly High with AA etc off.
bf32011110621151176.jpg

Corky

Alextended said:
Something is wrong with my game, all the FMV is super laggy and I get 8-bit shadows regardless of settings? Is that a common issue? Latest Nvidia drivers on a GTX285. I can't increase terrain beyond Medium, is High and beyond for DX11 only or something? Anyway here's how it looks, atm on mostly High with AA etc off.
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2163/bf32011110621151176.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

I don't know about your other issues but regarding the terrain setting then : yes, the higher settings uses dx11 ( tessellation ).

DaFish

Alextended said:
Something is wrong with my game, all the FMV is super laggy and I get 8-bit shadows regardless of settings. Is that a common issue? Latest Nvidia drivers on a GTX285. I also can't increase Terrain beyond Medium, is High and beyond for DX11 only or something? Anyway here's how it looks, atm on mostly High with AA etc off.
bf32011110621151176.jpg
I like how he's saying "Check your corners"

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Haa, didn't notice that, lol.

The issue remains after a reboot too so it wasn't a fluke :(

The 8-bit shadows aren't everywhere, just certain spots and mostly some indoor ones.

Elsewhere they're proper shadows, even the character shadows fix outside those few so far areas.

But the laggy videos issue remains everywhere and it's bad with having to go through the laggy logos etc every time I start the game.

I also got some floating stretched triangles here and there centering in my view. I don't think it's my GPU overheating or something though, I have a temperature monitor and it wasn't even at 70c while all this happened right after starting the game...

I'm doing an install repair in Origin now but I doubt it will fix it...

Edit: looks like the repair function found something wrong and is downloading a 48MB file.

Edit: now it's stuck in an endless "Ready to install" cycle. I click, it does stuff, it ends, it goes back to "Ready to install".

Fuck. I don't wanna download 11GB again... I don't even see an installer file in the folder it was supposed to keep a backup in...

Edit: fuck, this isn't fixing, the update whatever it did deleted files like the exe file, the game can't start, it's not installing, all I can think of doing is an uninstall, but this pos didn't even keep the installer files backed up where it was supposed to so I'll have to redownload the whole damn thing ;_;

Spayro

So yeah this game is pretty awesome, been playing it for the last couple of days, really enjoying it.
However I noticed something weird - I have a brand new rig and have been running it on Ultra at 40-60 fps, but today it's been really weird - It works smoothly, but sometimes the framerate drops a little, and it's really for less than a second and it's really annoying. also, singleplayer has this sort of.. lag-like problem.

Is it the game/server, or have I managed to fuck my computer already?

WarMacheen

Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()
Game got disconnected ()

Literally nothing changed from the time it was playing fine, to now

Fuck you DICE/EA/Origin/whatever else

WarMacheen

TheExecutive said:
What's up with microcenter right now?

What do you mean? Prices?

They have the cheapest 2500k pretty much anywhere. They also have hard drives that are a bit cheaper than other places right now. Buying an HDD right now though is a bad idea, prices have shot way up because of flooding.

Top Bottom